-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
OP Offline
H
Anybody out there ever hunted in the Battle mountain/Elko nevada aria? I am hunting mule deer there this fall and just wondered what kind of deer/terrain I could expect to find.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntokanogan
Anybody out there ever hunted in the Battle mountain/Elko nevada aria? I am hunting mule deer there this fall and just wondered what kind of deer/terrain I could expect to find.

Are you going with a guide or DIY?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntokanogan

Elko is high desert. Valley floors are about 5000', and mountains to around 12,000 feet. Although most of the land is public, most of the access is private, so it can be a challenge.
Go in at the access points and within a mile or so, you will have left the other hunters,
Good deer numbers, and success rates.
Most of the time in the fall, it will drop to well below freezing at night, day time anything from mid 60's tee shirt weather to arctic blizzards. But the constant is that the mornings and evenings will be brisk.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
So you must have a guide or you bought a landowner tag as the application for the draw is still open

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You need to go to the Nevada DOW website and look up their information on that area. They give a good run down on the country, the animals, access, accomondations, etc.
After that, you need to get some high quality maps, like those from Mytopo.com. I've even called their local biologists for advice and answers. BTW, they aren't easy to catch on the phone. E

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nitis
So you must have a guide or you bought a landowner tag as the application for the draw is still open

No, my application goes in by Friday. But I will be going whether I draw or not.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

No, my application goes in by Friday. But I will be going whether I draw or not.

Me too, but a tag would be nice!

Last edited by weaselsRus; 04/12/11.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one is a non resident, tags are a bit tough to pick up.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute

Odds are much better in the outfitter draw.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Battle Mountain and Elko are not exactly within walking distance of eachother. The Rubies in area 10 are beautiful.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by 1minute

Odds are much better in the outfitter draw.

I agree that the odds are better in the outfitter draw, I also put in for the new Silver State tag, bet the odds on that are around 7 million to one not really counting on the extra $26.50 paying off but could not resist.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

You just gunna go hang out and not hunt? am I missing something here?

Last edited by nitis; 04/19/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.