Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was looking at the Ranch King and Boss blinds. Question is how the heck to you guys get them things up in the air? Can you assemble them on their sides and then lift them up with a rope or cable? They both kinda look like you have to pick them straight up to get the legs under them, which would mean a crane or a pretty big bucket loader . I hunt in a wooded uneven area , no way to get a crane to the site .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Can you build one on the site instead of putting one up that's built. We do that in the areas we're allowed. It probably works out to be much cheaper too.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a pre built 4x4 blind. Sank the posts in the ground then cut them off at about 6 feet. Strapped and chained the blind to the front end loader on our tractor and lifted it in place. Mine didn't need to be really high because it's over bean fields. No idea how to get one up 12-15ft like some I've seen.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I cut legs in 4', 6', 8' & 10' pieces & use the steel leg stubs that accept 4x4's on the blind frame. I tip the blind with frame attached up on edge, insert two 4' legs & set it down. Grab it from that side & pull it up until I can place the 6' legs opposite. I then lift it on the 6' side & insert the 8' opposite, etc. I can teeter totter the blind up as high as need be until I get it to the desired level. I never go above 10'.

This method is safe and allows you to even set your blind up on a dropped elevation such as, 6' legs on one side and 8' opposite or whatever the need requires. By using 4x4's you can even adjust leg height for uneven applications in the field. And, if you mess one up or have to cut it, replacements are readily available.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

wildone Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tzone , I probably could build one on site but was trying to stay away from the wood if possible . I've been kicking around the idea of making my own off the RK design . I have a fishing buddy in the steel/ aluminum business so I can get the raw materials. I was thinking maybe I could build the frame and an oversize deck and get that in the air then hang the walls once its erected.I could attach 2 legs to the deck and tie off to the 4 wheeler with a long rope till I get enough height to get the other legs on. Another idea I had was to use 2 different size box steels for the legs so that on would slide into the other and I could drill holes every 4 feet or so and put a pin in to set the height. That would kind of be like reloaders idea of teeter tottering it up and adjustments for terrain.

I was thinking of using that commercial galvanized decking like you would see in a factory (mesh type ) so the snow would fall through, same for the stairs.Weld the frame out of inch and a half square tubing for the walls and 2.5 for the floor frame. Precut sheet aluminum for the wall panels and roof. I'd probably need to put some kind of rubber gasket on the frame where the aluminum makes contact with the steel.I have to figure out the window thing would like it to be a 1 handed operation thats quiet kinda like a lift straight up rather than in or out and locate a good door with a lock on it.I think I'd rather have a peaked roof rather than a flat one so that I could put a shelf up there and to help with snow load in the winter. Then coat it with something to prevent pitting on the aluminum.

The spot I have picked out for this over looks about 1000 yards of a power line . The lines sit in a valley with a high ridge on one side , I want to set this on the ridge. Eventually there will be 4 food plots on the power line that will feed the deer all year long not just during the season. There is bedding and water very close by.I kinda like the metal over the wood because by the time the wood is going to need to be rebuilt I may be to old to want to rebuild it again and so might my friends.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We have a neighbor that built his deer stand atop a welded metal frame, which he then welded to a farm trailer. End result was something he could hitch to a pickup or tractor and drag to where ever he wanted to be and leave there. Portable, and non-motorized. He wound up building, I think, four of them. He passed away a couple years back, and I don't know what became of them. Seemed like a good idea, though I'm not sure how steady they'd be in a strong wind.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We bought and used,I think it's under potbellyblynds.com out of El Dorado,Texas.They are heavy duty fiberglass,with plexi glass windows. They are easy to put the sections together,we all bought 10 foot blinds and 4 of us push them up to stand upright.They're very well made and the hand rails and ladders are the best.Skeeter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.