Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Today was the second time I’ve seen a mixed group of mule and white tail deer run together on our place. It looked to me like the leaders are mule deer.

Has anyone here seen this behavior or am I crazy?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know they cross breed and make hybrid deer so why wouldn’t they herd up together. Unfortunate though as I like the idea of mule deer staying mule deer and whitetail staying out of mule deer country.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I didn’t realize they can cross breed!

The muleys are so much bigger probably the males can mate with white tail does, but not so much the opposite.

Does anybody here have pics of a cross breed?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dumdum, Where do you live?

Whitetails have pretty much colonized all of Alberta, even the mountains, where before settlement, it was by far mostly mule deer throughout the Province.

In the 80s before they changed deer management, it was relatively common to see herds of MD and WT near each other in the same field in the prairies of southern Alberta.

That is much more uncommon now that we have 30-40 years of doe management and mule deer buck draws.

MD and WT do interbreed, but it is relatively rare. Hybrids are usually infertile and not the brightest deer, as the habits of WT and MD are not totally compatible. The hybrid may exhibit behaviors of both species causing the hybrid to act indecisive, for instance, should they run or hide? That can result in the hybrid being easy prey for predators and hunters, so the lifespan may not be great.

WT are more aggressive, so it is usually the WT buck chasing and breeding the MD doe. Hybrids seem to have no definitive physical characteristics. Here in Alberta, as hunters, we are directed to use the tail as a species identifier. Don’t go by throat patches, coat colors, antler confirmation, ear size and shape, to ID species. Legally, the tail configuration directs what tag is used on the deer. If the tail is confusing, not helping the ID, don’t shoot.

I’ve seen photos and mounts of hybrids, they are not attractive critters. I wouldn’t shoot one. I’ve hunted deer in Southern Alberta since 1978 or 1979. I’ve never seen a confirmed hybrid.

I’ve spoken in generalities, as my understanding is that there is little conclusive about hybrid looks or behaviors.

Last edited by AB2506; 03/23/24.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Never seen a Hybrid myself, where I hunt Mullies on the SK/AB border, I see them in the same area all of the time, and the Mullies always outnumber the Whitetails by a large percentage.

KB

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Never seen a Hybrid myself, where I hunt Mullies on the SK/AB border, I see them in the same area all of the time, and the Mullies always outnumber the Whitetails by a large percentage.

In a lot of south central and south eastern Montana it’s the opposite. The only thing that checks the whitetails back from totally taking over is the frequency of blue tongue taking its toll.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We have a hybrids around. However studies have shown that they are not sterile. The off spring will look more like the type of buck that bred the doe.

Here in Colorado the game department wants to control the whitetails closely to keep the mule deer herd genetically pure as the Whitetail bucks will run off the muley bucks.That is why CPW has these whitetail only hunts

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/24/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
According to deer biologist Valerius Geist, mule deer/whitetail hybrids are not biologically sterile but they have behavioral issues that make them vulnerable to predation. They neither stot like a mule deer or escape by running with the head low like a whitetail. Thus, they don't have an effective predator escape behavior. As a a result they are more likely to be killed by predators and are less likely to survive over time.

They also have other behavioral differences that make them less likely to breed successfully with either whitetails or mule deer.

I've never seen mule deer and whitetails in the same group. It could be possible though I suppose.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have seen mulies and whitetails together out on the prairies of CO and many, many years ago I shot a mulie/whitetail cross. It was a small meat buck and it was running with 2 whitetail does. It ran really weird and had a funny tail that was kind of shaped like a whitetail but only as long as a mulie tail and it had a dark grey patch on the forehead where a mulie has the black patch. I took it to the CO DOW in Brush CO and they took a tissue sample and it came back as a cross. I kind of wish I would have kept the antlers but the dog used them as a chew toy. I seriously doubt I will ever take another.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have whitetails around my place from late April to Thanksgiving or shortly after. It seems the muledeer run them out; one day I'll see whitetails, the next mulies. Mid to late April, the mulies leave, a week to 10 days later I start seeing whitetails again. I have only once seen both species here at the same time in the 20 years I've lived here; it was mid December, and they were in separate groups. All the whitetails that day were bucks.

I've never seen anything around here that appeared to be a crossbreed, but did a few times in the Yaak valley over a period of 15 years. They were always with a group of whitetails.

Dale

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The mule deer and white tail by me usually are separated even in the same field.

Several white tail I have harvested here have small or no eye guards, and the antlers fork similar to mule deer.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/24/24.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve never seen them together. Maybe in the same grain field but a ways apart.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
My area is known to hold both Whitetail and Mule deer and I have seen Mule deer hanging around whitetails often (even in the rut). I shot an interesting whitetail two seasons back that might have a little mix in him.

One side of the antler is forked. Larger than usual ears.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by AB2506
MD and WT do interbreed, but it is relatively rare. Hybrids are usually infertile and not the brightest deer, as the habits of WT and MD are not totally compatible. The hybrid may exhibit behaviors of both species causing the hybrid to act indecisive, for instance, should they run or hide? That can result in the hybrid being easy prey for predators and hunters, so the lifespan may not be great.

WT are more aggressive, so it is usually the WT buck chasing and breeding the MD doe. Hybrids seem to have no definitive physical characteristics. Here in Alberta, as hunters, we are directed to use the tail as a species identifier. Don’t go by throat patches, coat colors, antler confirmation, ear size and shape, to ID species. Legally, the tail configuration directs what tag is used on the deer. If the tail is confusing, not helping the ID, don’t shoot.

The sure physical sign of a hybrid is the size and placement of the metatarsal gland on the lower hind leg. On whitetails its small and white, on mule deer its several inches long and darker brown, and on hybrids pale and in between in size. This has been confirmed by several biologists, including Jim Heffelfinger, who's published several books on deer biology.

Once hunted a plains area of eastern Colorado with some other guys, and one killed a buck hybrid. Have a photo of it somewhere and will post it later. Larry Weishuhn, the noted deer biologist from Texas, was on the same hunt, and pointed out the difference in the metatarsal gland compared to the mule deer and whitetails that were taken.

[Linked Image]

I killed a hybrid doe here in Montana in the late 1990s.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hybrid - Mule & Whitetail Deer
What is unique about the photo is that the one on the left is a hybrid, a cross between a mule deer and a white-tailed deer. It has the ears of the mule deer and the tail shape of a whitetail. Because of the differences in breeding behaviour (white-tailed does generally must be chased by rutting bucks, whereas mule deer does are much less elusive) mating is more likely to occur between mule deer does and white-tailed bucks. The offspring will generally herd and mate with the mule deer so after a few generations the white-tailed deer characteristics will be eliminated.
In the upper Columbia Valley, British Columbia - the mule deer are usually found on the bench lands while the white-tailed deer occupy the valley bottoms.

In the late-1980s, Dr. Valerius Geist, professor of environmental sciences at the University of Calgary, set out to discover why mule deer and whitetails seem incapable of coexisting. His eight-year study revealed that one-way hybridization is the likely culprit. According to Dr. Geist's findings, when whitetail bucks breed mule deer does, the offspring lack the survival instincts of either species and thus are unable to cope in the wild. "Mule deer and whitetail deer have completely different escape strategies," explains Dr. Geist. "A mule deer usually reacts to danger from a great distance, fleeing at the first sign of trouble. When threatened, a mule deer throws obstacles at its pursuer, running uphill or bounding over trees and brush. "A whitetail, on the other hand, usually remains calm, sitting out a threat until the last possible moment, then flushing like a rooster pheasant racing away on a fairly straight line, using speed rather than obstacles to put distance between itself and a predator." Hybrids produced by a whitetail buck and mule deer doe don't demonstrate
either of these escape strategies. In fact, hybrid fawns seem to inherit a fatal blend of survival techniques that turn them into "sitting ducks.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Hunting in NW ND a dozen or so years ago. We stalked a large whitetail buck as it was pushing a group of 4-5 does. He wound up down in a basin where a sizeable mulie buck had gathered a harem of 6-8 does. The whitetail ran right past the mulie which was larger in both physical and rack size and started scent checking the mulie does. The mulie just hung back and watched him work his harem. I don’t know what would’ve ultimately happened as the whitetail died of a sudden case of lead poisoning.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The whitetail bucks seem to be more aggressive and breed mulie does more than mule bucks breeding whitetail does.
I’ve suspected I’ve seen hybrids but don’t know for sure.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
The whitetail bucks seem to be more aggressive and breed mulie does more than mule bucks breeding whitetail does.
This is what the deer biologists say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see WT's and MD often within feet of each when feeding in ag fields. They even bed close to each other near field edges. One thing I have noticed is when they get spooked, they often separate even if they are right amongst each other when spooked. Each species seems to select a different escape path.

A couple years ago, I watched a decent-sized WT buck with an in-heat WT doe. Mule deer bucks and does were all around them feeding, bedded, sparring, etc... A couple small WT bucks were also hovering in the vicinity trying to get in on the hot doe action. The little WT bucks were way more persistent and aggressive when trying to get close to the doe.

Whenever a mule deer buck wandered to close to his doe, usually 20 yards or less, the WT buck would run them off. I'm pretty sure the MD bucks could smell something curious about the WT doe, but didn't have any fighting desire to take on the WT buck. Most of the MD bucks outweighed and out-antlered the whitetail buck by a fair margin, but that didn't stop him from giving them hell. He run them off a 100 yards or so and go back to his doe.

D
Dumdum Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for all the information. It is amazing that certain traits are genetically defined and can interfere with each other in a crossbreed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.