Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
My Marlin 1895s wear Brockman receiver-mounted aperture sights. One of them also wears a Marble's tang sight, my other rifle's tang sight is still boxed. The purposes for this include the following:

1. Determine which sight is quicker to acquire target.

2. Determine which sight allows me to shoot more accurately with the specific rifle on which it is mounted.

3. Determine whether either sight will allow mounting of low powered fixed power scope without dismounting the iron sight.
Marble's tang sight is clearly quicker to acquire while allowing more accurate shooting. This should have pretty well settled the issue. I'm left-handed; my shooting partner is right-handed. He shoots the Marble's without issue. Every shot I took with Marble's sight enabled - or present on the 1895's tang, caused the stem's windage-pivot knob to bash me in the nose, causing an abrasion. Since my handloads were brisk rather than heavy, this is disappointing.

I have no trouble shooting a friend's Winchester/Miroku 1886 rifle with Marble's tang sight mounted, I anticipated no issues regarding sight placement. Apparently, Marlin's placing of the serial number on the tang forces mounting the tang sight farther to the rear than had occured decades earlier.

Anyone having a workaround for this problem, please chime in. Otherwise, I'll be selling one New-in-Box Marble's tang sight and one used one.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not know much about the Marbles tang sight, the only rifle I have shot which had one mounted was a Browning Low Wall in 22lr, no troubles with it - I am left handed.

I use three Lyman No. 2 Tang sights on Winchester Model 94�s and had one mounted on a Model 94 trapper for several years.
Using the Trapper and a 20� carbine, I tried every type of front sight I could find and finally settled on the Sourdough or its Marbles copy as best for me.
I was shooting in chained brush and the deer were in motion when first seen, the shooting was short range, fast and the light was always uncertain.
Once I got used to the tang sight/thumb relationship I became a fair shot with the Trapper. The Lyman No. 2 is an ideal hunting sight as there is not much to get in the way of your thumb around the sight base. The Lyman sight is easily adjusted for windage using paper shims under the abase. Once a load is settled on and the rifle sighted in I had no difficulty with the Trapper for hunting. The 20� carbine and the 26� rifle give me no trouble when shooting from field positions or the bench left handed. I you are a one load hunter you might try the Lyman sight.

Last edited by william_iorg; 08/07/10.

Slim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 3,132 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,975
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.