Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just picked up my first lever gun ever today from my FFL. Marlin 1895 in .45-70 Haven't had a minute to play with it, but I did notice the cross bolt safety. It was in the "fire" position. I pulled the hammer back, changed the safety to the "safe" position, pulle the trigger, and the hammer fell. I wasn't expecting that at all. So, here's the newbie question. Just how it Hell does that safety work, anyway?

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It won't allow the hammer to hit the firing pin. The trigger and the hammer still function, the hammer's physically blocked from contact with the firing pin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some folks hat them..

I kinda like it

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
mrc. I have had an 1895 Marlin in .45-70 for several years..As for the safe, it works just as the guys described..I just put mine off safe and forgot about it..It works just like the old Marlins..but the 39's have a rebounding hammer, that bugged me no end so it went down the road..Hope you enjoy your rifle they are a blast and great close range weapon..Just have not had much chance to use mine on the plains of Wy..

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As Vic posted, it blocks the hammer .
Some years ago I bought my first 1895 and I dropped the hammer on a nice cow and heard "CLICK" ,not boom. What the...
The safety had done it's job but the cow was gone...
I redeemed myself 10 minutes later on another cow and have since "fixed" these safeties on several 1895s with a small "o" ring in the groove of the safety to keep it in the Fire position.
I much prefer the Half-Cock position of the hammer as a safety.

They are great rifles but getting familiar with something new and different is best done at home and on the range.
Good luck!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just pulled the buttstock and with the safety off tighten the screw on the back of the frame so it locks the safety.

I was used to the halfcock on older levers and I just can't warm up to the crossbolt.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I just pulled the buttstock and with the safety off tighten the screw on the back of the frame so it locks the safety.

I was used to the halfcock on older levers and I just can't warm up to the crossbolt.

This is exactly what I've done. If I decide to sell the rifle and the buyer wants a safety, in 5 minutes he's got one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both of my 1895's have them, never even bothered to see if they work?, the first time one gets bumped and I miss the shot it'll get the detente ball tightened, if not a delete kit?

ASE master certified engine machinist
Truck tech
REDNECK!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The O-ring idea is perfect, and just TOO funny, because I recently did a rebuild of a fancy kitchen faucet and had one O-ring left over. The faucet seems to be working just fine, and the O-ring is going to fit that safety just right. Thanks!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
When they first came out with that safety I seem to recall the fix being a split ring snapped around the safety button to keep it in fire position.

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Marlin safety replacement kit. Looks like a screw to replace that awful Marlin crossbolt safety:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
140 members (338reddog, 257 mag, 6mmbrfan, 300_savage, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 525 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,458
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.