Print Thread
Hop To
G
GoWyo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Score! $300.00! I missed an older pre-safety 39 that went for $275.00 by 5 minutes!

Still, one shouldn't be greedy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice to see somebody scored, it's been a long dry spell for me. I think that is the first .22 mag I've seen in that fine old lever design.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You did great. The pics look good to. I sold two of those last year to fund another project, still want to kick my a$$.
There were 12,088 of these rifles made from 1983-88, if anyone was wondering.

Tim

Last edited by Glock2240; 04/05/09. Reason: Production Numbers

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

Originally Posted by Glock2240
You did great. The pics look good to. I sold two of those last year to fund another project, still want to kick my a$$.
There were 12,088 of these rifles made from 1983-88, if anyone was wondering.

Tim
I have heard that several times and yet have been told by Marlin collectors, one is an old friend, who does not own a 1894 for about the same reason you listed, that the figure was about 3000 and the guy I talked with at Marlin told me IIRC about 3500 and that they were mfg June or July of 1983 to about March 1988, IIRC the dates he gave me. My buddy had said early fall was when they hit the market and they dropped them just after the first of the year in Feb or Mar of '88, but regardless it was not 4 years with three thousand a year made as for as production went. One has to also remember they were not made continually during that period as they mfg one model for a while then switch to other model, this is still done at Marlin last I heard.

Here is mine below. I was at the range with it today checking the sights and I was shooting sub 2" groups with one 5 round group measuring 1 5/8" and it all original and no optic's.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by oldnavy6393; 09/03/09. Reason: Spelling @ sentence structure.

At the age of 18 when I joined the US Military I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, that oath did not end with my retirement.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Beautiful rifle and for $300 - a bargain! Incredible wood on that one. I don't think you should feel bad about the 39M, this one is a rare find. I also own one of these and it's a great shooter. Congratulations!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really nice! Have you shot it yet?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
I did the unthinkable and put a varmint scope on mine a 4x12x50 AO and shot the center out the small yellow stickers with the diamond in the center at 50 yards after I got it sighted in yesterday.

So yes they are tack drivers, and could be used for varmint rifle.

At the age of 18 when I joined the US Military I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic, that oath did not end with my retirement.
G
GoWyo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Howdy Swampman,

I don't know if that was directed at me or OlNavy, but anyway, I have shot it a little. It was shooting under an inch at 50 yds if I recall and about an inch and a half at 100. It had the bushnell scope on it when I got it. It also has a marvelous trigger, which surprised me. I haven't wrung it out yet and these groups were with WW 40 gr JHP. I'm going by rote here, I think I posted awhile back somewhere, but close enough. I'll wring it out when the weather warms up. There is potential.

Happy New Year Campers.

-JW
Potential is right, this lever gun is amazing.

Hey GoWyo haven't you heard it's global warming out!!!

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Man that is a little dandy! I would sure trade you outa it if you gave me a chance to .

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wonder why Marlin stopped making these, I'm quite sure they sold every one that was made.

Originally Posted by kerr
Man that is a little dandy! I would sure trade you outa it if you gave me a chance to .

Yes she is now that I did the Wild West Happy Trigger, prior to that she had so much trigger flop that I was real unhappy. But she has the perfect hunting trigger now, and one not to bad for varmint hunting at 3 lbs.

My bet is low sales volume compared to 39A and other 1894 rifles, but who knows.

Last edited by oldnavy6393; 12/31/09.

G
GoWyo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
confused again, since Old navy jumped onboard, no telling who you are directing your post to. Maybe both of us? Well, count me out, I won't be trading/selling this one, unless I need a kidney transplant under obamacare. Or a loaf of bread in another year under democrat rule.

Happy New Year? Did Nancy Pelosi get hit by a tiger shark?

-JW
Originally Posted by GoWyo
Happy New Year? Did Nancy Pelosi get hit by a tiger shark?

Man don't wish that on a poor tiger shark. shocked Lets hope she's Frenched kissed by a Mack truck doing 60 at least. grin

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...you missed one for $275 before you got this one... Holy Crow...no one sells them for that little. I was lucky to be in a small gun shop in upper Maine two years ago and they had a like new one sitting on the rack with a Bushnell 3-9 scope and ended up getting it for $325.00 OTD. On the auction sites they bring double that....

From what I understand the low sales volume were caused buy the fact that the gun was considered to be to heavy for a .22 Magnum. The gun had to be built on the 1894 action instead of a 39 because of the cartridge length and maybe the pressure difference. I think if this gun were built on a modified 39 frame it would have been a better seller, but then again .22 Magnum has never been that big a seller compared to .22 Long Rifle guns due to ammo expanse...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
GoWyo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Hey Bob,

I didn't even know there was such a beast until I saw this one. I certainly wasn't on the hunt for it.(Sorry about that all of you seekers of the 1894M!)

I think I saw that 275 dollar rifle on GBer. Another great deal.

-JW
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Did a check over on GunBroker and the 1894M is selling for $650-800.00.

A 39, any 39, for under $400 is a deal these days. My first .22 back in the mid 1960s way a 39A Golden...long since gone. Have had a couple of Mounties since but recently picked up a 39TD complete with the case. Nicely balanced little gun.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard they were dropped because of unreliable feeding & extraction or some such. The one I had ran fine.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
I know three personally with a '94M and non of them or myself have ever had a reliability problem, one also has the Winchester 22 WMR like the Marlin has had quite a bit of problems with feeding and accuracy. But he has about 25 or 30 Winchester rifles and shotguns along with some WWII guns by Winchester.

My only dislike with '94 is when rotated little past 90 degree's it lets the ammo roll out of its loading tray. The accuracy on the is in the '94 is outstanding. So much so that I put a Barska 4x16x50 AO that I had originally bought to put on my old Savage 342 in 222 caliber, but forgot about how close a 40mm objective is to the barrel. The gun for me varies from about 3/4" to 1 1/4" depending on ammo, but the guy with the Winchester has done a 1/2" group and 3/4" one fine spring day last year. I would say I average about an inch over all, I don't count the occasional string with a flier.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,276
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.