Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
hntnnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I loaded up the dog, gun and headed for the local chucker hills this morning. I added and extra 2 liters of water this time for a total of 1.5 gallons and we were able to stay out till noon this time( we ran out of water about the time we got into birds last week). Found 5 coveys from 8 to 30 birds and knocked down 5 birds with the little 28 but lost one to the rocks. Also picked up a load of horn, this was only about half of what I found but had to leave.

Richard
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sounds like a great day! I have a 28 exactly like yours; love it.

Those lava beds are tough going! Your dog still looks game for more, tho!! You gotta love them, too.

Water is always the constraint, for sure. I remember my sarge: "No such thing as too much water, just too much weight!"

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get down your way on business sometimes. We should go make life rough on some birds one of these days...if you'll let someone hunt near you with a 16ga. whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mesa
Sounds like a great day! I have a 28 exactly like yours; love it.

Those lava beds are tough going! Your dog still looks game for more, tho!! You gotta love them, too.

Water is always the constraint, for sure. I remember my sarge: "No such thing as too much water, just too much weight!"

He does have a pretty serious look, doesn't he. I think he hates wild chucker as much as all us other chuckar hunters.

VENDETTA! smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Way cool. I could use a dog like him up here in the Snake R canyon. I Haven't tried for the chukars yet, as the quail are hard enough to recover without a dog and they tend to stay in the "easy" spots. I keep hoping to be at the same place/same time one day when they are down at the river for water. Now that it's started raining that's going to be very unlikely.

Thanks for the pics.

What brand is your 28?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, it does turn into a lifelong obsession. Guess I just don't like being "chuckled"!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
hntnnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies, Valsdad The shotgun is a CZ redhead mini with 28" barrels.

Richard

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For me a 28" barreled 28 balances really well. Any shorter and those light barrels just don't swing right for me. (Strangely, I've always shot 26" 20s fairly well).

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.