Print Thread
Hop To
#7153328 12/06/12
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
which state has the best Quail hunting???

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For variety I think Arizona is pretty interesting.

California has some excellent quail hunting.

What quail are you after? There are many kinds. wink

We have Gamble's, Valley, Mountain, and a few scaled quail here in NV.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In the East, the best hunting is the areas best managed for quail habitat, often privately owned.

In the West it all depends on rainfall. Droughts are VERY bad for Western quail. Research is needed before you plan a hunt. Pre-season scouting is even better.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only hunted in Texas . But South Texas is pretty good . We have both Blues and Bobs. Some areas only one species other areas mixed. We hunted 5 years on 10000 acres at Zapata . We had 9 coveys of blues for every covey of bobs. Blues won't hold and will run a dog crazy. A note to numbers my wife killed over 60 one season with her bolt action 22 with shorts around camp. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
dont matter which ones but growing up in neb we had the best quail hunting in the country. i never knew really how good it was till they were gone. i just wonder if there are any places with stupid # of birds like we had. (bobwhite)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best Bobwhite hunt I was ever on was at Falfurias, Tex. hunted with a friend and his dad . They have Elhew pointers. We hunted 8 dogs 2 at a time from a truck rigged to follow the dogs with the handler in an elevated seat. We found over 20 coveys hunting 4 hours before lunch and 4 in the afternoon. Red sand country with plenty of thorns and snakes. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
the 40 acre farm across the road from the house had 10 huge coveys. i would walk the hedge rows and thickets every night after school with my bolt action 20 and just shoot the covey never single out birds...didnt need to, i knew where the next covey was hiding. never really could hit them that well so never ran out of birds. i got into deer hunting and thought the quail would always be there.. i would like to get back to that kind of hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never lucky enough to have good hunting where I lived and worked. Always had to drive at least 2 hours. Good S Texas hunting 4 to 6 hours away. Always used a travel trailer for camp. One season about 5 years ago my wife and I spent 55 days at camp. Our seasons start in Sept. with dove and end with quail Feb.28. Set up camp just like home , even with sat. Tv. Only had to go to town for grocerys and to wash clothes. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've hunted blues and bob's in South Texas too. Those blues are some runnin' bastards! I've seen Gambel's quail in Arizona when I was climbing down there but have never got to hunt them.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Snake boots and chaps. That's the only way to keep up. We usually bait the roads, drive till we find them. Shoot what we can from the jeep, then the chase thru the brush is on . If you look for snakes or thorns you will never bet any blues. I'm getting to old to run very far. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
E Washington has surprisingly good quail hunting. Out today again and limited out.

KS used to have outstanding quail hunting in the past.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the limit in Washington. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
the guys I've talked to in Western Kansas (near Liberal) say the drought has pretty well wiped out the quail. Not enough left to hunt. These are bobwhites.

When I lived in Eastern Washington, we found quail wherever there was thick brush and water, mainly in side canyons to the big streams like the Snake River and Asotin Creek. REALLY rough country--think chukar country with heavy brush. Fun when I had the stamina, tho. Didn't mind fighting rose bushes and blackthorn and blackberry canes then. You could lose a lot of blood in day's quail hunting! Usually too cold to notice until you got home....these were California quail (we call them Valley Quail in CA to differentiate from Mountain Quail, but they don't sound like "Valley Girls" much!).

Last edited by Mesa; 12/09/12.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
since i live in Washington i think ill take a drive over to the dry side this weekend and see if i can scare up a few.

G
gwl Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I hunter AZ near KIngman once and it was great. Oregon has pockets of good hunting but it is not the rule here.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Just got back from AZ, and it is DRY. Find water, you find some quail, but coveys are smaller, and flushing wild. Some places stock ponds were dry and there was nothing between shrubs but dirt. Gazeteer identifying locations of water, or former water, was helpful. Had more luck finding water up higher. Because it was so dry, cholla was shedding worse than usual, and some places I spent more time taking cholla spines out of dog feet than hunting. Dog boots were a help but did not solve the problem completely.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
since i live in Washington i think ill take a drive over to the dry side this weekend and see if i can scare up a few.

how did it go?? IF you look at the WA State Bird hunting guide book put out for 2012, it shows one county over there averages something like 24,000 quail a year over the last 5 years... planning to spend a lot of time over there next year with my new GSP.

Andrew
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm not sure because I've only hunted in the south eastern part of the US my whole life. But I can attest to some pretty good Bob White hunting down here. It's been a few years since I hunted bird regularly, but plan to get back into it next year pretty heavy next year. SC, Ga. and Fl.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,402
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.