Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Anyone know of a replacement fuel tank for gas engine pick-ups. I see they make them for diesel pick-ups, but wonder why not gas. Would they be compatible with gas I wonder.

After having to travel 90 miles round trip while hunting to get gas I thought it would be a good idea to have a larger tank. I have even thought of buying a 50g-100g tank that rides in the bed.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
This may not be much help, but I wonder if any salvage yard tanks may fit your rig? Some research would have to be done of course to find what, if any tanks would work. I don't think I would be afraid of going from diesel to gas.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
What do you drive. Quite a few shops offer oversize tanks...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Nevermind. I just priced them...Holy crap....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, the price of fuel tanks has gone thru the roof the last couple years.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
TransferFlow makes larger replacement and add-on gas tanks for pickups. They are expensive if they all cost what the one for my new Tundra did...$1,400. As far as I could find a few months ago when I got one they are the only manufacturer of replacement approved gas tanks. Aero and Titan only make diesel (I think I got those names right). I will say the tank I got from TransferFlow and had installed was money well spent, but it still hurt to pay that much. My truck came with a 26 gallon tank and I now have a 46 gallon tank.
The only shortcoming of the swap was that my computer still bases my "miles left this tank" on a 26 gallon tank, and Toyota says they can't change that. No big deal.

I've got an in excellent condition 36 gallon white Delta steel tank with a 12-volt pump, hose and automatic shutoff nozzle. The pump, hose and nozzle are rated for gas and diesel, but the tank says not for gas, just diesel...I think it says for flammable but not for combustible liquids. I don't know what you'd have to do (if anything) to have it approved for gas, unless it's the venting would have to be changed (?). My Delta tank is rectangular, fits in a pickup bed up against the front, taking up only 9" of bed space. I've had it for sale a couple months, but no takers at $450. Make me an offer and meet me in Post Falls if you figure a way to use it...

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 12/17/11. Reason: sp

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My pick-up is a 2000 3/4 ton GMC. It has a 34g tank, but when you only get 12 mpg and you're in eastern MT more gas on board is a plus.

Sorry Bulletbutt, but Post falls is 400-500 miles (One way)out of the way for me right now.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No problem! grin It would have been a long drive for both of us!
If you have a 34 gallon tank allready, you probably wouldn't find an aftermarket replacement tank that would be big enough to justify the cost. Maybe you can find someone to build you one that would mount where the spare is now---I've heard of those being available---or you could have one built like we used to get that mounted on the outside of the frame rails. We called them saddle tanks and they hooked up with a three way hand-operated valve.
If you add a second tank, one thing you might have to do that we didn't worry about many years ago is add a second charcoal canister fuel filter to your system to handle the vapors from the added volume of gas. I don't know if that would be an issue on your 2000 truck, but it can be on some with all the emission stuff...so I'm told.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 12/19/11.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For my extra tank I used an 22 gallon jeep j10 auxillary tank that I built a box for and plumed it into my fill nozzle on my silverado. I installed a ford electric fuel pump (rail mounted style) in the box and wired a switch into my cab. That way when my main tank was low I could flip the switch and transfer gas while driving.
Ran it that way for 5 yrs.
I could remove the entire unit from the bed of my truck when I was not going on a trip also.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.