Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Are they worth the money? I'd like to get a bit more power out of my truck for pulling my enclosed trailer, which weighs about 42-4300lbs when loaded. My truck is rated for 7500lbs, she pulls the loaded enclosed trailer pretty easily but she sucks the gas and i'd like to improve on that if it's possible. Any suggestions besides "get a Cummins or Hemi"?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To get enough hp to really feel the difference get a supercharger.

My buddy has a 2500 chevy that he put on a free flow exhaust and he chipped it to pull his 5th wheel. In his words, yeah, it sounds better but it doesn't pull like a diesel.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did a CAI on mine and feel the same about it, it sure sounds "throaty" but I didn't see any real power gains or better mpg.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More power and better gas mileage.

That's tough to do.

I get about one mpg better mileage when towing by running premium gas in my P/U but ...

I'm not subjected to buying the winter blend fuel that you have in AK. That resulted in losing one mpg + when I lived there.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, I am not trying to get both at the same time. I'd like more power for towing and when i'm not, be able to make adjustments for daily driving. I may just end up buying a used truck for hauling since it appears that I won't get much out of a chip or tuner.

Steelhead

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've not heard any miracle stories from the gas rigs guys as far as performance chips, but I've never done it myself.

On the diesel side, it is a much different story.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Like the others said, I don't think there is much of a gain with just performance chips. Some people change the exhaust, air cleaners and use tuning or the chips. That combination might result in a slight gain, but is it worth it?

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've already done the CAI and have been considering having a dual exhaust installed. I'm probably going to skip on the chips/tuner and buy a second truck for just towing purposes.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A second truck would buy a lot of gas.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've got a 2001 Silverado that was chipped when I bought it. I don't know what it would do without the chip, but it runs like a striped ass ape with it. It's my favorite pick-up...for now.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I agree, you can buy a heck of a lot of gas for the cost of another truck, license, insurance etc.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm more concerned about having more power to tow my trailer than I am about putting gas in it. Plus wear and tear on my daily driver will be cut down too.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK. It's just that in your OP you said

///she pulls the loaded enclosed trailer pretty easily but she sucks the gas\\\

I figured the money would be better spent on fuel.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, she does suck the gas when i'm pulling that trailer, she's good any other time. I can even put my sled or atv in the back of the truck and gas mileage doesn't drop one bit. I got 16mpg on Saturday driving in 4wd to Petersville and back which is pretty damn good for this truck.

I've always wanted a shortbed Ford diesel anyways so I guess I was trying to talk myself out of it, doesn't seem to be working though. wink

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Well, she does suck the gas when i'm pulling that trailer, she's good any other time. I can even put my sled or atv in the back of the truck and gas mileage doesn't drop one bit. I got 16mpg on Saturday driving in 4wd to Petersville and back which is pretty damn good for this truck.

I've always wanted a shortbed Ford diesel anyways so I guess I was trying to talk myself out of it, doesn't seem to be working though. wink

funny, in my old half ton for with the quad in the back I would get 2 mpg better than without. I figured it must change the aerodynamics a considerable amount hauling the quad.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

Figured you'd fess up sooner or later!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guilty as charged! blush

Steelhead

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Outside of forced induction, the best gain I have ever seen is long tube headers. They are spendy but really help in the tq area. I have read that custom tuned chips that take some of the fail safes out of the tranny tuning can do wonders but I have no experience with them.

On my 03 Yukon, long tubes made a very noticeable difference. I didn't dyno the truck before hand and I didn't do it after so I have no number to prove it. But the truck runs better, cruises at a slightly lower rpm and seems to down shift less.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by micky
Outside of forced induction, the best gain I have ever seen is long tube headers. They are spendy but really help in the tq area. I have read that custom tuned chips that take some of the fail safes out of the tranny tuning can do wonders but I have no experience with them.

On my 03 Yukon, long tubes made a very noticeable difference. I didn't dyno the truck before hand and I didn't do it after so I have no number to prove it. But the truck runs better, cruises at a slightly lower rpm and seems to down shift less.

The only way your truck can cruise at a lower rpm is if you're driving slower, or if you've changed the gearing.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have you looked into propane injection kits?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.