Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am in the market for a used truck in the 3-6 year old range.

There is a nice Tundra in a double cab that I am interested in.

I made a post a couple years ago about how you guys like the Crew Max, but that truck is a bit out of my price range.

I am wondering how you guys like the Double max. I sat in the back (6'1), and there was enough room for me with the front seat at where I wanted. Plenty of power (wow...), and overall nice truck.

I thought I would see where you guys were at on this truck. Overall value, life span, any problems, etc. Right now the sticker price is what is making me nervous, as it is just at my max as far as finances go.

They have a couple older chevy crew cabs (2008, etc) for almost 6-7 grand cheaper.

Thanks guys...

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jolintaxidermy
They have a couple older chevy crew cabs (2008, etc) for almost 6-7 grand cheaper.

Thanks guys...

joe

There is a good reason for that.

I had a 2006 Tundra (first gen) and it was flawless. I put just under 100K on it. NEVER in for any type of service that wasn't an oil change.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Good point tzone, I couldn't resist.

Drove home with her tonight. 2010 tundra double cab. Boy is it sweet....

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owned a Double Cab and never had to do a darn thing to it. Sold it for $15k with 100,000 miles on it. Try selling a like-year Chevy for that. Resale value on the Toyota will be far greater than on a Chevy.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great truck! Congrats.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by remfak
I owned a Double Cab and never had to do a darn thing to it. Sold it for $15k with 100,000 miles on it. Try selling a like-year Chevy for that. Resale value on the Toyota will be far greater than on a Chevy.

That was the other thing I forgot to add. I traded my tundra on a 2011 F150 and the dealer gave me 14,200 as trade. It had 98K on it.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I really enjoy my 2011 Tundra Double Cab.

[Linked Image]

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This summer we came with a hair's breadth of buying a '12 Tundra Double cab long bed. The only reason we didn't was because we really needed a 3/4 ton and they don't make one. The double cab was quite roomy and comfortable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This summer we came with a hair's breadth of buying a '12 Tundra Double cab long bed. The only reason we didn't was because we really needed a 3/4 ton and they don't make one. The double cab was quite roomy and comfortable.

my problem exactly, I only own true 3/4 tons with an 8 foot bed, if 'yota would build me a 3/4 ton with an 8 foot bed they would have my business

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The dealer here told me that Toyota had seriously studied the possibility of adding both a 3/4 ton and a diesel. They decided against both to concentrate on the more urban market. He said it's questionable whether they'll continue the 8' bed, too.

― George Orwell

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I never noticed on those billboards I've been seeing lately; is that a short, medium or longbed that they towed the space shuttle with, through L.A.?
I'd like to see a 2-speed rearend in the Tundras, that locked it out of 5th and 6th, but raised the ratio of the first four gears. That way it wouldn't run like a Corvette, and would be "tamer" to drive when not pulling a load...like a space shuttle. YMMV whistle

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 02/02/13.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your local Toyota dealer can probably show you a video of a Tundra that was used on a ranch for a year. They supposedly put it though hell. Then Toyota dismantled it to test and measure all the parts for wear. They all passed admirably. However, they still call it a 1/2 ton. If it's meant to be a heavy work truck, they need to label it as such and they don't. They brag about how it can do a 3/4 ton's work, but they still call it a 1/2 ton with 1/2 ton weight ratings. That makes me suspicious. If you need the capacity of a 3/4, get a 3/4 and not a 'highly rated' 1/2.

I'm not faulting the Tundra by any means as long as it does the job it's intended for. Its just that they're advertizing to do more than its ratings.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I totally understand what you are saying. I bought a Tundra because it will tow and haul all I want to tow and haul. Prior to the Tundra I owned only 3/4-tons back to 1988, and I wouldn't have gotten by with regular-duty 1/2-tons. I would have only broken them.

I love the ad and what it implies, and it's fun to play with, but we all should be able to see it does not make the Tundra a 11' camper hauler. Their heaviest-duty model in 2011 came with P-rated tires at 2601#/tire max.
The nice thing about a diesel 3/4-ton is you just load it, hook up, and drive away...no worries.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As long as you keep it within 1/2 ton limits, the Tundra is darn hard to beat and we almost bought one. However, I started adding it up: steel stock rack, 4 male llamas, 20' camp trailer, extra fuel, piles of camping & hunting gear... There's no way that I could stay within the Tundra's weight limits. I have air bags on my Dodge 2500 and it handles the weight like a dream. It's too bad that Toyota dropped their plans for a 3/4. It would have been a good one.

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I just don't have the need for a 3/4 ton diesel, so I only compared the 1/2 ton trucks when I was in the market last year. To me, the Tundra and F150 stood out above the Ram, Titan and Silverado. I liked the F150's interior a little better but the Tundra's powertrain and brakes felt better. In the end, Toyota offered a better deal so I went with it, but I'm sure I would have been satisfied with the F150.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 02/02/13.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (1lesfox, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.