Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I have had Datsun/Nissans or Tacomas since 1979.

Maybe 4WD, but not needed 99.9% of the time, but DANG HANDY when I do need it.
I'm now in the Ol Farts group so mileage will be low per year.
extended or crew cab.
I have experience with smaller PUs, both Nissan and Toyota and both served me well.

Not adverse to a new Tacoma.

HATE all the electric stuff, want a basic truck with automatic, getting too old ad lazy for standard and new auto exceed standards in my mind for people like me.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I wasn't putting on a lot of miles I'd go with the tundra, and that's my plan right now when I get to that point. As it stands now trying to wear out a '12 tacoma.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
If I wasn't putting on a lot of miles I'd go with the tundra, and that's my plan right now when I get to that point. As it stands now trying to wear out a '12 tacoma.
Gonna take a while to wear out a Tacoma.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tacoma is easy to park and probably a better height to get in and out. If you need transportation, then Tacoma, if you tow or carry lumber all the time, Tundra. I have a Tundra now, and I wish I could buy a new Tacoma.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
HATE all the electric stuff, want a basic truck with automatic, getting too old ad lazy for standard and new auto exceed standards in my mind for people like me.
It's good that you want an automatic because your choices for a standard these days are limited to a Dodge 2500 or 3500 with the diesel. All the rest are auto only.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went Tundra. Waited 2 months for them to get a non-ffv engine ordered in for me. Have 34,000 on it so far with no issues. They were having trouble for a while with the ffv engines and I wasn't in a hurry so went that route.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several of the automotive testing sites have down-graded the Ram pickups last year and this year because of suspension and front-end problems that developed before the 100K mark. If you're really not going to put that many miles on a new truck each year, it may not be a problem for you but it could affect resale value on down the line.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know if Dodge has fixed their problems but for the last 10 years or so, they've had problems with tie rod ends and ball joints. I have an '08 and my partner has an '07. He needed new ball joints and I needed new tie rod ends. He took his to a shop and had the tie rods changed while they had it apart. I did my own tie rods but not the ball joints. I'll wait until they go bad.
Dodges also have those integrated front hubs with the non-greasable bearings. I think Ford uses them, too. They're known to fail, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Dodge would not even be on my list

I have had my fill of Tacomas and would rather not see one again if possible, I just think they are not a good value any longer and uncomfortable as hell on a long trip.

Currently looking at Titans and Tundras. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota is not paying attention to customers anymore.

If resale value concerns you it goes in the following order

Titan
Tundra
Chevy
Ford
Dodge

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Gonna take a while to wear out a Tacoma.

Kinda counting on that (108K and counting) since I use it for work also, and the economy and gov has seen to it that at age 60 I'm in no danger of retirement anytime in the not-so-near future.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have had my fill of Tacomas and would rather not see one again if possible, I just think they are not a good value any longer and uncomfortable as hell on a long trip.

Currently looking at Titans and Tundras. I have come to the conclusion that Toyota is not paying attention to customers anymore.

Titan
Tundra
Chevy
Ford
Dodge

That has not been my experience. I would like to know which of the first four on your list would sell for over 55% of what I paid for it new, after 11 years and right at 300k miles of service. Granted, I take care of my stuff, and my Ram was in like new condition, but I'm just saying.

Last edited by badger; 12/20/16.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
the Tundra is a good truck, especially if you tow much. the Titan has higher gearing but is also a good truck.

My 07 Tundra has almost 120,000 trouble free miles and I don't pamper it. has seen 4 wheel drive many many times and has it's fair share of brush scratches. not the best on fuel but loads of power and comfy on the road. looking for an updated model coming soon and I will likely upgrade.

it's the only truck I would even consider in the 1500 models.

Last edited by hillbill; 12/20/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Titan
Tundra
Chevy
Ford
Dodge

That has not been my experience. I would like to know which of the first four on your list would sell for over 55% of what I paid for it new, after 11 years and right at 300k miles of service. Granted, I take care of my stuff, and my Ram was in like new condition, but I'm just saying.

You have a diesel correct? These are v8's. I got the rankings from KBB FWIW

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hillbill
the Tundra is a good truck, especially if you tow much. the Titan has higher gearing but is also a good truck.

My 07 Tundra has almost 120,000 trouble free miles and I don't pamper it. has seen 4 wheel drive many many times and has it's fair share of brush scratches. not the best on fuel but loads of power and comfy on the road. looking for an updated model coming soon and I will likely upgrade.

it's the only truck I would even consider in the 1500 models.

I test drove a Tundra tonite not going to buy it , not at all impressed. They are falling behind and I guess they have a redesign in the works or they better have. The older models were better built.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I love my tundra it's a limited and has more that I can ever need in the hp dept. very nice truck you would not be disappointed if you ended up with one.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have an 07 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab bought new. I'm currently at 175,000 miles and have done virtually nothing to it other than routine maintenance. I did have to replace the HVAC blower, about $200 and one of the 4 U-Joints. If you don't need a full size truck it is hard to beat a Tacoma.

But last spring I came to the conclusion that I needed a bigger truck. And although I've had no issues I wanted something with fewer miles for long distance trips. Having a bigger, more comfortable truck on long trips was a factor too. I had just returned from a 4700 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and Southern Utah with the Tacoma.

I'm not especially brand loyal and gave serious consideration to all of the big 4. I ultimately decided the Tacoma was too good to let go and instead of trade it for a new truck I decided to keep it and buy a used 2014 F-150 Supercrew 4X4. It ended up almost exactly the same out of pocket money.

A Tundra was a close 2nd. But when I started doing internet searches for used trucks within a 100 mile radius there were only 3-4 Tundras that came up that met my criteria. I had dozens of F-150's to choose from. A big part of my decision came down to an available 36 gallon fuel tank on Ford. The Tundra's get worse fuel mileage and didn't start offering anything larger than 26 gallon tanks until recently. Being able to drive 600 miles between fill-ups is nice.

Last edited by JMR40; 12/20/16.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have an 07 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab bought new. I'm currently at 175,000 miles and have done virtually nothing to it other than routine maintenance. I did have to replace the HVAC blower, about $200 and one of the 4 U-Joints. If you don't need a full size truck it is hard to beat a Tacoma.

But last spring I came to the conclusion that I needed a bigger truck. And although I've had no issues I wanted something with fewer miles for long distance trips. Having a bigger, more comfortable truck on long trips was a factor too. I had just returned from a 4700 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and Southern Utah with the Tacoma.

I'm not especially brand loyal and gave serious consideration to all of the big 4. I ultimately decided the Tacoma was too good to let go and instead of trade it for a new truck I decided to keep it and buy a used 2014 F-150 Supercrew 4X4. It ended up almost exactly the same out of pocket money.

A Tundra was a close 2nd. But when I started doing internet searches for used trucks within a 100 mile radius there were only 3-4 Tundras that came up that met my criteria. I had dozens of F-150's to choose from. A big part of my decision came down to an available 36 gallon fuel tank on Ford. The Tundra's get worse fuel mileage and didn't start offering anything larger than 26 gallon tanks until recently. Being able to drive 600 miles between fill-ups is nice.

Yeah they fixed the fuel tank issue most of the sr5's now come with a 38 gallon tank.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had great luck with my Ram trucks.My first 2004 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel extended cab 84,000 care free miles in 8 years of ownership.This truck 2016 Ram crew cab 6.4 hemi 4X4 only 8700 miles so time will tell.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For some reason I own GMC trucks. My 2003 Sierra 1500 has 67,000 miles on it and has a couple of bad hiccups. One was a front differential that the bearing went out in. The other was three right rear axle seals that like to leak. Besides those issues it has been okay. Starts and runs. I live on a farm and use it for both a daily driver and around the farm hauling equipment and feed. I average about 14.5 mpg overall and about 12 mpg off road. Probably would not buy another one but its hard to sell something with the low mileage on mine and I bought it new so we know what has been done and where it has been. If a new truck were to be bought it would be the Ford F150 Super Cab that JMR40 bought. There are several friends who have them and their fuel mileage runs into the high teens and low twenties on the highway and they seem to have few major mechanical complaints. In the area we live there are Dodge, Ford, GMC, and Chevrolet dealers. The nearest Toyota dealer is 75 miles away and I think there is a Nissan dealer there too. That is, for me, too far to go for service.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For what it's worth the recent Consumers Report I read at the Dr.'s office had the Ram at the bottom of the list and the list was not just trucks.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1936M71, 16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 47 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,514
Posts18,452,673
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.