Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Found a Ford Ranger, 1999 with the 3.0 liter V6 and 5 speed manual. Does anyone have any experience with this motor and a manual tranny? I had a mid 90s Explorer for awhile but it was a automatic with the 4.0 liter. It was a good truck but just don't have any experience with the 3.0, esp. with a manual tranny. I know it is not a powerhouse, but not going to be used for towing. A truck to do some light hauling around the house and some hunting and my son will probably drive it to school. Thanks for any information.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the 3.slow, head gasket problems but typically a pretty good engine, the tranny is a Mazda 5r should be a 12" clutch and is a pretty decent trans, the biggest down fall is the clutch master cylinders is in the trans and very fail prone and requires the trans to be dropped to replace

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
they last forever. decent mileage. good trucks.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a '99 4wd 5spd man and a 3.0. It has 180K. Put a clutch in @175K. Daughter took it to college for the last for 4 years it has been down and back on the Ak hwy, down to So. Cal and back and forth across the state of Wa many many times. I also have a 2000 5sp, 2wd and a 4 banger with a 2.5l. Both have been great vehicles and I can recommend them.
pak

Last edited by pak; 11/29/12.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
the 3.slow, head gasket problems but typically a pretty good engine, the tranny is a Mazda 5r should be a 12" clutch and is a pretty decent trans, the biggest down fall is the clutch master cylinders is in the trans and very fail prone and requires the trans to be dropped to replace
The earlier Rangers and the Bronco II had most of the same parts. They had the master cylinder on the firewall just below the steering column. The part in the tranny was a slave cylinder that was connected to the master cyl by a hydraulic hose. I recently had to replace the master on my '87 Bronco II. Even though it was in plain sight on the fire wall, it was a real bitch to swap. Bleeding the slave cyl was easy but very messy as I had to lay under it to reach the valve.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy

Thanks for the information! Is there a way to evaluate the head gasket and/or master cylinder that a guy could do before purchase?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rock chuck is correct in saying slave cylinder, not master, (I'm on some heavy duty pain stuff right now so my brain is not all with it)

But anyhow when the slave starts failing you will see brake fluid leaking under the trans or you will notice the master cylinder resevor getting low, when it fails or you are out of fluid the clutch peddle will stay on the floor with the clutch disengaged, there is not anything you can really due to prevent it from happening. With the head gaskets start the truck while it is running pull of the radiator cap or just look in the coolant tank and see if there are bubbles when the truck is running, also check the oil to see if there is any coolant in the oil, and check for white smoke out of the exhaust, when it is cold you will have the condensation steam but after it has warmed up if you are "burning coolant" you will know.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the tips, guys.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a '93 and '95 with that combo.
'93 was wrecked well before it was time to go. Great truck and got 23-24 mpg with ext bed and a custom fiberglass top.
'95 had to have the slave cylinder replaced on it. Regardless of how I drove it I got 22-25 mpg.
It had 178k on it when I took it up Mt Washington while driving form Florida to Maine and back.
I drove it for almost 10 years then sold it to a coworker.
He has over 300k on it and still drives it regularly.
Only thing I ever did besides oil, brakes ans tires was to change the fuel filter every 40 or 50k miles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked on Fords at a dealership for about 10 years back then and never saw a head off a 3.0 v-6 in the shop. 2.9 and 4.0L motors had some head problems. I think the 3.0 L is one of the best engines Ford has ever made. Not the most powerful but extremely dependable.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
?
That motor in the Tempos was a gasket blowing sumbich.
Done ounce with the upgraded head gaskets and they are good to go. No way to predict gasket or slave cylinder leaks until they do. But, most only get one each in a lifetime of service, head gaskets usualy before they were five to seven years old or under a 100K in miles.
Other than that, most vehicles are great if you do routine maintenance. All have quirks.

Last edited by calikooknic; 12/09/12.

Sean
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sold a 2001 a couple months ago. 3liter V-6 manual.

It was my sons truck until he accidently made me a grandfather, so he needed a family vehicle and I bought the truck off him because he was in a hurry.

I drove it for about 4 years and never had a problem with it. He had it about 2 years and never had a problem.

I put oodles of miles, and was hauling a cap and all my survey gear in it and it maintained a stable 20mpg.

The only thing I would note is that I had to put the clutch on the floor to shift, but it was a good truck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.