Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have another thread on the newer Tundras but am wrestling between the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton trucks.

I am leaning toward a 3/4 ton probably gas as I maxed out my 1500 with a light slide in camper and pulling a trailer with a couple of fourwheelers. I will probably pull horses at some point but not often and can always use my dad's truck as they are his horses and his horsetrailer to begin with so I might as well use the whole package.

Although the promise of better gas mileage and lower initial cost brings me back to the half tons. I am considering selling the slidein and getting a smaller camper trailer, maybe a toyhauler. I would probably then have a fourwheeler in the bed of the truck and pull the camper. This is something I think most half tons are capable of though we do have large mountain passes here.

I am thinking of the a newer model ford maybe with the ecoboost or the new 5 liter. It sounds like it has quite a bit of spunk for its size. Other trucks I am considering are the Tundra or maybe the dodge half ton.

As far as 3/4 tons go I was dead set on the chevy with duramax or the 6.0 liter, but now I am not so sure anymore. I want a crew cab in any of the models and the new 2011 ford 3/4 ton with its new gas engine seems to be getting good reviews. After driving my dad's 3/4 ton hemi compared to our office chevy 3/4 ton 6 liter I am much more impressed with the dodge.

So I am kind of rambling but now am just not sure what I should look for and though I would see what say you?

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Get a 3/4....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a 1/2 ton GMC 4x4 new in 2003, wife bought same truck new in 2007. Sold hers last fall and bought an F-250 diesel (dreaded 6-oh-no) and just a few weeks ago sold my 2003 to buy a Camry. Long story short, after having the 3/4 ton, I'll never be without one. I don't use it to its capabilities often, but have pulled trailers a few times. Night in day how the truck handles the added weight between the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton. Not saying I'll never have a 1/2 ton again, but I'll always have a 3/4. Ours isn't a daily driver as we each have cars to put the miles on, so the mileage isn't an issue, but the diesel gets better than our gas 1/2 tons did anyways.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The recent thread about the half ton Ram diesel had one poster talking about the towing ability of the Hemi versus diesel. My Cummins is currently in the shop for some maintenance and I borrowed a friends gasser to tow my side by side to the hunting property this weekend. Granted, it's a Dodge half ton with the anaemic 4.7l V8, but I was stunned by the poor mileage and the fact that it really struggled to pull a tandem axle trailer with a high profile side by side with a windshield on it. Hand calculated fuel mileage was 9.5 with mostly interstate at 65 mph. What normally costs me about $115.00 in diesel totaled $195.00 of regular, not to mention the Cummins doesn't break a sweat hauling at 70-75 mph. If you're planning on hauling stuff, definitely consider the diesel.

Really missed my truck this weekend.

Last edited by badger; 03/17/13.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
3/4 ton. Diesel if you can justify it. But gas will do just fine.

I just bought a 3/4 and after years of using 1/2 tons for various jobs I can say there won't be one in name for a long time...

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even a smallish 20' camp trailer and an ATV in the bed will sag the springs on a 1/2. You can use an equalizer hitch and sway bars, but why bother? Just get the 3/4 and be done with it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3/4 ton gas, my mileage is better than my old 1/2 gas, it's not the daily driver, but was for 3 years. When i need to tow, and haul the 3/4 beats the hell out of any half ton, for my day to day light hauling and get around truck, i use a minitruck, it still has an 1100 lb cargo capacity but gets 45 mpg

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The more you learn about trucks that work for a living, the more your will like 3/4 ton or 1 tons with a diesel.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Which brings up the the additional decision of gas vs diesel if I go 3/4 ton route. I commute 50 miles a day round trip but don't pull anything for work so it would be weekend warrior stuff for pulling. And not every weekend for sure. LOL too many honey dos, kids stuff etc. Hunting, camping in the summer etc. I know there are die hard diesel fans but with the additonal fuel costs and the newer models not getting the mileage the older models do I am not sure. Wouldn't be able to afford a real new model of diesel anyway though. Also wonder about the issue of yeah the engine lasts forever but what about the rest of the truck as well as increase maintence costs?

I am not against a diesel but have no loyalties either way so just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love my Dodge diesel but the fuel costs are more than I need. I don't drive it every day, though, so I live with it. When I need the power, it's great, though.
For a daily driver with light loads, I'd go with gas.

― George Orwell

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The bigger ford V-8 has been getting good reviews on the innanet, but I don't know anyone that has one.

I had a 2011 F-150 with the 5.0 and it towed anything I needed it to...with ease!

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm a diesel guy,but if you are not pulling or hauling heavy loads more than 50% of the time, go gas.

As for 1/2 Tons, the last one I had was 1958 Ford. I keep them and run them hard.Since the 58 Ford, I had 3/4T 67 Chevy, 1970 3/4T Dodge. 1985 3/4T Dually Ford (POS) and now a 1998 3/4T Dodge diesel. There is no comparsion on the handling of a 3/4T vs a 1/2T under loads,pulled or hauled.

Sounds like what you are doing,you are going to max out the 1/2 T with just about every thing you want to do. Why limit yourself.

Kinda of like deciding how big a tent one needs.You might not need all the space,but it's darn hard to add more if you buy one too small

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree with Saddlesore, what you are talking about is about max for a 1/2 ton. If I were you, I would definitely go 3/4, and carefully consider the benefits of Diesel vs gas. Talk to some guys than run 3/4 gassers and see what kind of fuel mileage they get or better yet, fill the tank and drive your pick of trucks yourself on the route to see what you can expect with either the Diesel or Gas for fuel mileage so you can better estimate the fuel cost.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
One of the other issues that a couple buddies seemed to notice is the extra weight of diesel compared to a gas engine (especially in a half ton) is it has been easier for them to get stuck or slide on a 4wd road that is slick and snowy. They had both upgraded some years ago to a duramax and a cummins. Both said the same thing. Just considering that. Not as much an issue as it used to be now with a fourwheeler I don't take my truck into as nasty of places but still wondering if you guys noticed?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have played a bit with both 1/2 tons and 3/4's (and other people's 1-tons). I towed 8400lbs up the Alcan in December with a 2001 F-150. Pretty much cured me of running a half-ton.
I've since upgraded to an 04 extended cab short bed 3/4 ton cummins, and then an 06 extended cab long bed 3/4 ton cummins. The last one is about as close to perfect as I've found.

I don't miss the smoother ride of the 1/2 ton, but I know some folks do. I love the stability and the handling of the 3/4 ton, and the power and fuel efficiency of the diesel. It is just a fun truck to drive. If I were playing with a camper a lot and towing, I'd consider adding air bags in the rear (might anyway).

All of my offroad driving is extremely mild, and I wouldn't pick an extended cab long bed if I were going to do much off-road. Just too long of a wheelbase to be practical. Off-road here has very little middle ground between "sparse gravel" and "better have a swamp buggy", and 4-wheelers are much easier to pull out of the muck.

That being said, I have not noticed a problem on snow or ice with the heavier truck. The longer wheelbase in slick conditions is handy in that it takes longer to switch ends. Tires play a huge role in snow/ice as well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Partagas
One of the other issues that a couple buddies seemed to notice is the extra weight of diesel compared to a gas engine (especially in a half ton) is it has been easier for them to get stuck or slide on a 4wd road that is slick and snowy. They had both upgraded some years ago to a duramax and a cummins. Both said the same thing. Just considering that. Not as much an issue as it used to be now with a fourwheeler I don't take my truck into as nasty of places but still wondering if you guys noticed?

Yep,the diesels sink into the mud faster and deeper. 9500lb winch helps tha tproblem.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am writing this from Moab Utah, sitting in a 26 foot camper with a slide out that I towed down from Helena, MT., with my 2013 Toyota Tundra. My last big trip was to Bella Coola BC, up and down the dreaded "THE HILL". The trailer as towed weighs about 7500 pounds. I have not had a problem maintaining speed limit or controlling the trailer on any trip. Mileage ranges from 8.8 to a little over 11, with the average while towing being about 10. I suspect winter blend of gas for some of my lower mileage readings.
My previous tow vehicle was a 1998 Chevy 2500 gas, and it weighed less than the Tundra and had lots less horsepower even though the Tundra is rated 1/2 ton.
The Tundra, by the way, has a5.7 liter engine and 4:56 rears and gets 17 plus on the highway. Unlike the Chevy, I never get really poor mileage with the Tundra, even in the winter driving it in town.

Royce

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We came very close to buying a '12 Tundra long bed last summer but it just wouldn't handle my llamas and stock rack along with a camp trailer.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's not always about pulling power,but stopping.If brakes go out on the trailer,it sure is nice to have some reserve in the truck.

My 98 Didge diesel gets 20-22 empty and 14 pulling a 20 ft gooseneck loaded with mules and gear.

Probably newer ones get les mileage

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Royce. The Tundra drives great, has as big or bigger brakes than alot of 3/4 ton options, and gets as good or better mileage. Won't be paying for all the added maintenance cost for the diesel, and will be cheaper to fill for the light duty chores.

If not, 2500/Duramax.

Stay away from the 6.0h nooo! 2002 or older 7.3 would be a much better choice in the used market.

The Dodges have bad reps for trans and electronics.

Older, used trucks won't impress the neighbors as much, but screw'em

Last edited by calikooknic; 03/18/13.

Sean
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.