Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
7remmag Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
iam looking to go on my frist elk hunt and checking out boulder creek outfitters in idaho. iam leaning this way for the fact that its rifle in mid oct,it fits my vacation time frame,and no draw on lic .did anyone hunt with them? and any good info on the state's elk would be great or any other places to go? and not breaking the bank! i guess the range is $3500-$4500 thanks!

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
7remmag: Be sure to inquire at some point as to how the area they Hunt in has been affected by WOLVES!
I personally would NO LONGER Hunt Elk in Idaho, Montana or Wyoming with an outfitter!
Its one thing to spend money on a DIY Hunt but an outfitter anymore for me in todays climate of HEAVY Wolf predation and disruption is simply out of the question.
I would recommend Colorado - THE Wolves have not infested there as yet.
Best of luck if you decide to use them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

7remmag Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
never thought of that question thanks !!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know anything about that outfitter, but you also need to ask yourself what it is that you are after. By that I mean, are you looking for a ranch type hunt where you stay in a lodge and can ride around in a pickup glassing hillsides, or are you looking for a wilderness experience with horses and backcountry camping? The ranch type hunts tend to be cheaper but higher success.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are looking for a true wilderness experience that includes horseback rides and wall tents, without the need to apply for a draw, the hunt you mentioned might be for you.

If getting a bull is vitally important, I'd look elsewhere. The elk numbers in most over-the counter-elk tag public land areas of North-Central Idaho are way down. Not saying you can't get a bull of some sort, but elk hunting in this part of the state ain't what it used to be.

Now if you want a high chance of success and a decent bull, go apply for the draw on one of BCO's private land hunts. Elk numbers are great with a good number of decent bulls. Success should be high.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I know the draw for out of state can be tricky in New Mexico, but if I were you I would put in for the hunt every year...when you do draw the tag it will be worth the time and money for the trip. I have taken 9 bulls with a bow here and the best being a 7 X 7 406 PY score. LOTS of Elk here and LOTS of public land. If you need an outfitter there are many excellent outfitters in the gila forest area(southwest NM)..Good luck on your hunt!!

keep doing what your doing and you will keep getting what your getting...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are some reviews I came across some time ago:

http://www.huntinfo.com/reviews/out...s&state_filter=&submit_action=Go

It seems from the reviews that the predator hunters are generally happy but the elk hunters are greatly mixed.

Living and hunting in Idaho for many years I've heard much negative about them but nothing positive. If I do I'll let you know.

Last edited by 2Seventy; 01/07/10.

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7remmag,

I do not know of the outfiter but his wilderness area is in unit 12, this is in the Lolo elk zone I have hunted for 30 years in unit 10 just north of 12 and the other half of the Lolo elk zone. In the 70s 80s and the 90s to 96 this was one of the better areas to hunt in. The winter of 96-97 was brutal and the elk herd was devastated. The numbers were coming back, now lets talk wolves, this zone units 10 and 12 had a quota of 27 wolves out of a state wide 220. There is a reason that over 10% of the total quota was allotted to this zone, there are a lot of wolves. I would look elsewhere if it was me at least for elk. It is beautiful country and could be a great trip. I also goggled the outfitter and seen he is claiming a 96% success rate for elk. I will admit that I was born at night but it wasn't last night. 96% (no way in ****)

8mmwapiti

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just to clarify, BCO may well have a very high success rate on their private land draw hunts for elk and 90% wouldn't be surprising. The private land they have access does have good elk numbers with a good bull/cow ratio. The wilderness hunts on public land with over the counter tags would be another story...

7remmag Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
8mmwapiti

thanks alot for the info boys ihave been on a few hunts before none for elk.its not easy i quess back to the drawing board cry any places you guys have been that were good? looking for a first! time decent bull .

IC B3

7remmag Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
2 seventy

thanks good site bad reveiws

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
If you can afford it, Northern British Columbia.

CDR3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been hunting in Wyoming and each year the wolves become more of a problem. Just my 2 cents.

FSTF
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you can still find elk in WYO, MT and ID....are you kidding me? Plenty of outfitters, still outfitting and successful doing it. Just ask the right questions.

You don't find as many elk hanging out in the open parks/hillsides as much as in the past due to the wolves. Elk fair better with the wolves in the timber. Find an outfitter who has been outfitting for a long time and has seen things before and after the reintroduction of wolves. Find an outfitter who has adjusted. I know some who have base camps and hunt with truck and trailer now to be "on the move" and not locked into an area.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.