Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
prm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've never carried any kind of rest with me, sling notwithstanding. Getting caught in a field with tall grass and a good target 250-300+ yds off has me considering having one with me. No question it's easier to get steady off a rest. How many carry sticks, Bog Pod, primos trigger stick, etc. What do you use? Not sure I like the idea of carrying something as I usually prefer to have my rifle in my hands vice slung. I have played with the Primos trigger bipod sticks and like them. Could just build some to the correct height. Looking for ideas or thoughts on the subject.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
sticks here. and not those heavy, bulky factory jobbers....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I carry a set of the small diameter, fold-up sticks. Think they're made by Stoney Point if memory serves me correctly.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the timber, no. Out in big sky country, for sure. In our ground squrrel fields, I could not get by without them.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use Bog Pod and the Primos Trigger stick...the Bog Pod is better made but the Trigger Stick is much more user friendly and easier to carry. I'll sell my Bog Pod now if anyone is interested.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
i always hunt timber (or with a bow), so no sticks, etc. for me. if i get the time i always kneel down and lean against a tree if at all possible though. if i hunted in or around large, open parks, i'd have some form of sticks, etc.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I use Bog Pod and the Primos Trigger stick...the Bog Pod is better made but the Trigger Stick is much more user friendly and easier to carry. I'll sell my Bog Pod now if anyone is interested.

sent you a pm

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just used the cheaper model SW sells to take a really nice mule deer buck from 430 yards in huge sage bowl. Also used them for elk in the open sage draws. Don't use them in timbered areas as there are usually plenty on rests available.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a set of Stoney Point Polecats ever since returning from my first hunt in Namibia in 2006. They are light, but steady, and I use them as a walking stick in the mountains. I have taken elk, pronghorns, one mule deer and two whitetails with them, either sitting or standing. You need to practice with them to get comfortable, but their use quickly becomes second nature.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
"DoAll" for stand hunting.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 1minute
In the timber, no. Out in big sky country, for sure. In our ground squrrel fields, I could not get by without them.

what he said!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I always carry sticks with me and really like them. When elk hunting I use the lightweight flimsy folding kind like an elastic tent pole, but I broke those this year in the cold shooting a muley buck so since then I've been carrying a set of bog pod sticks, which worked for a couple of deer and an antelope. They're not as handy but very solid and not too much trouble. I'm going to fix the folders for next elk season - easy to carry in my left hand loose or along the fore end of my rifle, or folded up and stowed in my pack. I like to shoot kneeling or sitting and they help a lot to get a solid rest in the field, especially in sage or grassland but even in open timber they can be very useful if you get a sudden opportunity a little way out and can't move to a tree in time to shoot. I think they are minimal annoyance while on patrol and lots of help when the time comes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like them in the tall grass.
Not so much when I am at higher altitudes and steeper terrain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take'em with me every time I hunt. I happen to use the Snipepod, but just about any form of pod or stix will help in the right situation. Like any piece of equipment, whether it be rifle, binos, etc... practice with your shooting aid to learn how to use it and it will pay dividends.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
90% of my hunting is still hunting the timber. I just use a sling for those shots. Standing, or sitting.

For a longer shot i'll sit down and use the Stoney Point sticks. They come in a pouch that I put on my belt. I don't even know they're there until I need them.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Homeade sticks. See Varmint Al's website. I carry them on my pack. Big fan.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Predator sniper styx

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Used my Stoney Point sticks to take my WY elk this year at approx 200 yds. Last year in WY at 439 yds. At longer ranges it really helps if you are able to get your back up against something..
John

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The best one and at the best price was a 1" maple sapling cut to the proper length/height with a "Y" in it. Took the bark off of it and sealed it. What made it even better is that it had been used as a rub and I shot a nice eight point with it the day after I cut it. That was about five years ago and I still use it.
I found my pole cats just a smidge too short for using on one knee or sitting.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Whatever is close at hand. I have never found a shooting bench were I hunt but??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.