24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bow1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all new to the forum I had to join after reading all the great advice on here. I have 10 Elk resident PP for Colorado I have been holding out for Area 2 Archery, but not sure I want to hold out for another 6-8 years. I was thinking of area 61 for archery it looks like a good area and I can probably draw it twice before I ever draw area 2.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bow,

You won't get the size of elk in 61 that you would in 2. But you won't die of old age before you draw either. Unless you are really fixated on a really huge elk go for 61, it will be a quality hunt with many chances at non bugle shy elk. With a little luck you might shoot something above 350, most likely you'll have to be satisfied with a bit above 300. The quality of the hunt will be worth it, that's where I'm headed when I draw.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget that point creep will increase, and you may actually be looking at 10 or more years before you draw in 2.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Point creep will surely get you. Back in my late 40's I decided I wanted to hunt Unit 201 in CO. Then it was about 4-5 points.Point creep made the requirement go up fatser than my yearly point accumulation. Finally on my 20th year I drew.
Two things are going to work aginst you now.These Hybrid draws that take tags away form the high PP hunters,and sometime in the not too distant future the DOW is going to have to do soemthing about the point creep or a whole generation of hunters are going miss out on these special hunts.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I just got back from 3rd season in 61. it was my first and last hunt in that unit. I have hunted better areas with fewer points. I'm kicking myself for flushing all those pts down the drain . . .

IC B2

bow1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks all maybe I will try to draw a cow tag as my second choice for a rifle hunt in 61 as my second choice it looks like no points are required and maybe that will help me decide if 61 is worth it.

bow1 Offline OP
OP Offline
300 bull would be just fine, I just want to get in an area where there are good bulls with a lot of action. smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bow1
300 bull would be just fine, I just want to get in an area where there are good bulls with a lot of action. smile

I'd say most elk hunters want the same thing. Don't know if the "Lot of action" and "good bulls" are synonomous though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
bow1 Offline OP
OP Offline
That is so true saddlesore any elk with a bow is a trophy to me I have been bow hunting area 37/371 for ever and it gets worse ever year with pressure I just want to find an area where the elk are not shy. I will take a cow but even those are getting harder to come by in 37. I do however want to use my points for a good bull, but trust me if it is coming to the end of my hunt I will take a cow instead of coming home empty handed.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
At ten points,you are in a tough spot.You could draw 61 and get skunked or maybe arrow a decent bull. Other than that, you blow your points on a lesser area or save until you can draw Unit 2 or such.

Right now, I don't know if it is really worth it.After waiting 20 years to draw a rifle tag in 201 I was very dissappointed in the overall quality of the bulls and so few of them.
I finally tagged a bull that went 343 by my rough measurements and that was the biggest bull I saw. In all,I probably only saw 8 bulls. To tell the truth,I have two bulls hung on my wall that probably won't break 300 and they were a lot harder to find and kill than that the bigger one. Heck I have killed cows that were tougher to find.

I think by waiting all those years to draw in one of the high point areas,we get overly optimistic of the quality of bulls we expect to see. When at first the area is producing big bulls,word gets around and more and more hunters put in for that area. Then by the time the hunter gets those 10+ points, all those older, mature bulls that were around earlier have been shot off and only younger bulls are there.Of course there is always a chance to kill a monster bull there,but that is true in any area of the state.

Then you will have replys on here that there are better bulls even in OTC hunt areas,but no one is going to give you the location.

I am getting to the end of my hunting career because of my health and age. I don't really need to kill another elk and I don't mind helping others. I can give you some pointers on finding a bull in Unit 54 or 12 ,maybe even 25, but you will need to pack in 5-7 miles to do so.

In 37, you are too close to Denver and that gets a lot of pressure.Same with 36 that I use to hunt, north of Vail.

PM me. Are you local or out of state? If local ,we can get together,I am outside of Colorado Springs to the NE.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/20/12.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by turkeyhunter1818
I just got back from 3rd season in 61. it was my first and last hunt in that unit. I have hunted better areas with fewer points. I'm kicking myself for flushing all those pts down the drain . . .

Turkeyhunter,

Could you fill us in on why the hunt in 61 was not worth it?

bow1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks saddlesore, I am local I live in Frederick I would love to get together sometime, maybe after the holidays I will stay in touch and thanks for the help. I have hunted 25, 12 and 33 I love those area's we camp up their all the time, their are some really good herds up their. I stopped going like all the other guys because it was to far, but I'm going to start driving those extra couple hours to get out of the crowds.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bow1
Thanks saddlesore, I am local I live in Frederick I would love to get together sometime, maybe after the holidays I will stay in touch and thanks for the help. I have hunted 25, 12 and 33 I love those area's we camp up their all the time, their are some really good herds up their. I stopped going like all the other guys because it was to far, but I'm going to start driving those extra couple hours to get out of the crowds.

I'll talk to you then.

Vince

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.