24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
With the drought in a lot of the western States this year, did it seem to effect where the Elk were, compared to normal years ?. I didn't see the Elk that i normally do, and just wondered if others had the same problem ?.

Kevin

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yes. Some them were lower than normal and staying near more reliable water sources and irrigated ag. Others haven't left the real high country yet

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our area that we hunt in Colorado certainly had fewer elk down where we usually find them. All of the elk killed on the ranch that we hunt were killed right at the top. This may have been more due to warmer weather during the first rifle hunt than the drought per se. Many of the ponds lower on the mountain that have been used intensively by elk in the past still had water, but they had almost no elk using them during our hunt.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
In Wyoming where I live, I read that we are on track to have the driest year in the last 110 years. That is serious drought. Foliage was very dried out in elk country, and the ground itself was showing large cracks on high grassy ridges. Streams were low, but still flowing for the most part.

Where I hunted elk this year in western Wyoming (Absorakas)there were several notable differences. One big one was the increased presence of grizzly bears lower down than usual, especially for the time of year (October). More bears, lower than usual, and increased danger for the elk hunters.

One young friend of mine stumbled onto the carcass of a 6x6 bull that I had killed over a week earlier. He and a friend were charged by a large very dark silvertip grizzly, from a distance of about 60 yards. Having bear spray and one rifle, the two men watched the bear go by them at a distance of about 10 yards. Neither bear nor hunters were injured, so no harm, no foul.

Also I ran into a large grizzly late one overcast day. Fortunately the distance was such that I was in no immediate danger, and I was able to back up and get out of the area. It is always a gut check to look around and suddenly see a grizzly ambling your way! grin

Bears in that area are not new, but the increased density of bears was definitely different.

The elk that were there also seemed different. Not so many cows, and maybe not so many elk overall. Definitely fewer large bulls. While we filled our tags, it took longer this year.

I do not know if the elk were hanging higher or had already moved down. Maybe some of both had happened.

But the year was very different from the previous two years. And I have cancelled my trip to Kansas for pheasant hunting due to terrible conditions for birds where I usually hunt.

We could sure use some snow this winter!

Last edited by WyoM70; 12/09/12. Reason: typo
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
In New Mexico it is drier than I have ever seen it. The elk were concentrated while looking for the scarce available water...not like in years before when it was more abundant. They looked none too happy.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Where I hunt in rifle season,they were definitely down low. Which was on privatre land in the hay fields at night.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hunted the first season, on private land- elk were low, near the water and willows, and hay fields- 'moose country'.

A lot of the small creeks and waterholes were dried up.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Same places they always are. Same success as usual. 10-11.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pretty much a normal elk year for us.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a pretty good summary of it in the Nov. issue of Petersen's Hunting.

In the Sangre de Cristos there was poor forage this summer and elk would have to go about a mile further up to find creek water or else visit the ponds on the valley floor. Conditions were slightly better in the Culebra Range but if you brushed against a tree there the needles would just fall off.

Bears invaded many towns. More than 20 bears were put down in Colorado alone.

Rooster hunting is barren this year most places. Better farther north.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would say if a grizzly charged from 60 yards and nothing got hurt, it would be cause I missed and it turned away. What is the protocal, wait till its 10-20 yards to start shooting? crazy

Last edited by eyeball; 12/14/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hunt BLM and USFS land covered by grazing leases. That's usually not much of a factor. But this year, most open areas were grazed down to the nub. Therefore, we didn't see many elk in their 'normal' areas. Deer too.

FWIW in the last couple weeks, we have been getting snow after snow here in the first 200 miles of the CO river basin. I hope it keeps up, it gives a fella hope.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by eyeball
I would say if a grizzly charged from 60 yards and nothing got hurt, it would be cause I missed and it turned away. What is the protocal, wait till its 10-20 yards to start shooting? crazy

This is a hard thing to explain exactly. There is no clear cut answer as to where the line should be drawn. It all depends on the situation.

Don't start shooting too soon, but don't wait too long either. You will likely only get one shot. If you shoot too soon, you may miss. If you shoot too late, you may not be able to stop the bear.

In this case that I posted, the bear altered his course from straight on to slightly off that line when the second hunter moved out from behind the first hunter.

Somehow that gave these two men the confidence to hold their fire (one with a gun, one with a can of bear spray) and let the bear pass by them at 10 yards. Neither man had ever been charged by a grizzly before, so they were new at it.

I questioned them extensively, and that was the best that they could say.

I have another friend who killed an incoming grizzly at about 20 yards, and it was almost too late. That bear never deviated from its course as it tracked my friend by his wandering path through the sagebrush coming toward the timber. There was no worn trail involved, just the path chosen by my buddy. That bear started on the trail from over one hundred yards away, and he never slowed down as he came after my friend.

If it ever comes to this, there is only one rule: Do not miss!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

no kidding. Guaranteed lead will be in the air before a bear gets to 60 yards.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by WapitiBob

no kidding. Guaranteed lead will be in the air before a bear gets to 60 yards.

Two points to consider:

One, many bear charges will start at closer range than 60 yards. Not all charges are for real, but I don't how to tell which is for real and which is not.

Two, it takes some real guts to hold your fire for a second and see if maybe you can avoid the whole nasty thing. That would be the best possible outcome. The federal investigation that follows is no joke.

I guess there is a possible third point. Don't go elk hunting in grizzly country with your lightweight .243 Winchester, no matter how nice it is to carry up the mountain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,228
Posts18,371,199
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.