Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Supper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I was sitting at a friends house discussing guns while Dumb and Dumber (might give insight into conversation topic) and the topic of 243's came up.

Now, said friend, mentioned that his grandfather hunting exclusively with 243 for decades, until he purchased a 270Wby. This included elk.

This got me thinking about just using that gun this year driving 85 TSX's instead of lugging the 280 around with me.

So... anybody with a logical argument as to why a TSX couldn't kill an elk dead?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It will kill an elk dead if you hit it right. But truthfully how much heavier is your .280 than your .243?

S
Supper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I haven't weighed either yet, but everyone thats held the two notices quite a difference.

When I get the scope mounted I'll do a weight comparison and see which one actually wins in that department.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I can't for the life of me understand why you would even consider that rig for elk...if the difference in weight between the 243 and 280 is that great that you can't handle it, you serioiusly need to reconsider your fitness regimen. Sure, 243's will, and have, killed elk, but good Lord, you need to be prepared for the worst possible scenario, caliber wise, not the perfect scenario! Sorry, that just struck a nerve....I can't think of any place I have been elk hunting where the I have ever seen anything remotely near a 243...nor has any outfitter I have seen allowed one! anyhow, best of luck with your upcoming elk hunt.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Just take a 22lr and shoot behind the ear....

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i can see no ethical reason to do so but it is your ball so you get to pick the game...

if i only had one gun and it was a 243 then so be it... if you just want to see if it will work then i would have to offer my opinion of no.

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My bud whacked a cow with an 85 tsx out of a 243wssm this last season just to see how it would do. She was quartering to us and he hit her just in front of the near shoulder and it exited at the 3rd rib. She was DRT faster than most elk I've seen shot with the big stuff. The tsx really makes previous "deer calibers" viable elk calibers. That being said, I'd opt for a larger caliber if I had one available.

Brett

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here we all go again letting someone have it for wanting to use a smaller caliber rifle for an elk. Is the question ethics or just jealousy. I see nothing wrong with this scenario if he uses some common sense. Of course just because I go out and use my 338RUM with 185gr TSXs doesn't mean that I can take a less than desirable shot or does it? Elk are on of the most sought after game species in North America and deserve the utmost respect. If he doesn't try anything stupid and keeps the rifle and load within reason then he will have elk for supper. To you who think it is too small I think you are WRONG, shot placement is everything and a little common sense will go along way and so will that 85gr TSX. These little pills shoot stem to stern on deer so I don't see a problem going through an elk broadside. I wouldn't hesitate a second if I had my 243 with me and a monster 6x6 steps out. BIGGER ISN"T ALWAYS BETTER. HAPPY HUNTING

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't agree with hunting elk with a 243.Sure you can kill a elk, but is it a good idea?.... NO ,I think a serious elk round starts at a 270 winchester and goes up from there...

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are patient and willing to pass up marginal shots, I am sure that it would work just fine, especially on cows and young bulls. I have seen big bulls absorb two or three 180 grain .30 caliber bullets (and the same with 175 grainers from a 7mm Rem Mag) in the heart-lung area and still travel far enough to make for a difficult tracking job.

Like Ruger243223 said, it's your tag, and as long as you meet the legally required minimum and are proficient with your rifle, I see nothing wrong with giving it a try...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In that caliber with traditional bullets, 95 or 100 grains seems to be the usual deal for deer. Consequently, dropping to 85 with a solid copper bullet tends toward light for caliber - on deer. I have used a 6mm to take many caribou; never shot and elk - with anything. Caribou are neither as large, on average, nor anywhere near as tough to bring down from what I read and hear.

I've also killed a fair number of caribou with the 7mm-08, a more resounding stopper than the 6 with any bullet typically. While the 140 XFB would sail through the animals from any angle at quite a distance, I could not count on that from the 85 X in the 6.

At the very least I'd bump up the weight on that bullet. If that means going to the fatter caliber, then do it. Otherwise, using your proposed combination, while possible, seems really limiting. But, perhaps your season is too long and the opportunities too many wink ? (I'm curious how the 280 is weightier than the 6 though. Maybe you need to swap scopes - or even buy another rifle. laugh )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Supper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I can't for the life of me understand why you would even consider that rig for elk...
Like I said guys, it was just brainstorming that was sparked by a comment from my buddy that went along the lines of "Hell, this thing is light enough it could just be your mountain rifle." Thats why the quip about Dumb and Dumber playing in the background.

Originally Posted by Godogs57
if the difference in weight between the 243 and 280 is that great that you can't handle it

No, the 280 isn't so heavy I can't handle it. It has been my go to large game gun ever since the first time I shot it years ago.

Originally Posted by hunter5325
My bud whacked a cow with an 85 tsx out of a 243wssm this last season just to see how it would do. She was quartering to us and he hit her just in front of the near shoulder and it exited at the 3rd rib. She was DRT faster than most elk I've seen shot with the big stuff.

If I do it, thats a big if, the 243 would probably just be used on a cow first. Even if it means not taking a bull, elk is elk once its in the freezer.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Consider the worst case situation for elk hunting.....and if you think a 243 is up to the job, you need to rethink the deal. Use a caliber that will not limit your possibilities makes just plain sense.

Now if an elk was a dangerous animal like a lion, would you use a 243? I don't think so. Early on when the fast tiny bullet hit the scene in Africa there were many a hunter that found out the consequences......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use both ends for animals... light and heavy. I don't carry and never have really liked in between.

When things didn't matter and all I was after was meat and could pass shots, I"ve used all manner of small caliber on deer size animals.
When I'm after something special and may get only one shot and want to make it count, I go larger than average, and that doesn't mean a 270....

I don't see why a 243 would not work lights out, just pick the shots and distance and away you go.
I know for the right distance and rest, it would sure work for a head shot too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot a 7-08AI and have all the confidence in the world with a 140TSX or a 140NAB or any other quality bullet in the right spot.

That being said, there are better options out there for elk, but its what I own and its my do-all Alberta rifle....

If I had the choice...I'd be taking the 280Rem that you have and not worrying about whether the 85gr TSX will do the job in the 243....if the 243 was ALL I owned, then I'd shoot an elk with it....but ask yourself if you'd ever run into a shot that the 280Rem would perform better. If that answer is a 'yes' then I'd be carryin the 280 instead....

Just my thoughts...

Last edited by Rackmastr; 05/05/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if you have grizz around your part of wyoming there, but I'd be carrying the .280 just for the simple possibility of running into mr. Arctos horribilis. I have carried a .243 with 85gr TSX's after elk a few times when I was in a jam and couldn't take the 7RemMag, but the first time I saw a big boar grizz walk out on the path just 80 yards away, my sphincter tightened up considerably!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolhmm.........I just got back from checking the sighting on my 24/06 and the 85 TSX and am ready to get after the bruins. I've no worries if the nut behind the but then the bullet will do it's job.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark are you planning on going after blackies or grizz? If you are using a .243 caliber rifle for grizz hunting, then you have cahones bigger than mine. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blackies.......I'd be over gunned for Griz and would just carry my 22/250 for those nasties and a 53 TSX....ork ork ork

Come to think of it, I did call in a griz last year though, now where did I put my 375 Wby...?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark make sure you post your results although I know how it will turn out anyway. Good luck in you hunt. Keep us posted. HAPPY HUNTING

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 224th, 54 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,542
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.