Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
If you follow a few other forums some of you may know of ElkNut (Paul) as a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to Elk hunting and communication of Elk.

He plans on releasing the book on a CD as well, scheduled for mid-March.

He is a stand-up guy who provides customer service, second to none!

This is an overview from Paul on "ElkNut's PlayBook"

Of course this is no ordinary book on blah-blah-blah! (grin)This is one any hunter can take into the field with him & aid him/her through nearly any situation or elk encounter! If you like the book or the idea behind it, I'll take full credit! If you don't like the idea then you can blame Mike-The-Cheesehead!!! (grin)

Actually, it's a very informative piece of equipment, it does not replace the DVDs but certainly takes you well into the next level. I can assure you there is no book on the market today that would equal this one. I call it a PlayBook, because that's what it's main intent is. It will share the different options one has depending on the encounter. For instance, here's a paragraph in the Chapter "Lone Hunter Tactics" this works well, I've taken several bulls with this technique in varying forms!

ATTACK THE HERD BULL What does this mean? It means go right at him especially if you've used cow sounds & he screams a demanding bugle or 2-3-4 at you, to get you over there NOW! When this happens you have limited time as he's getting ready to leave. He may be hung-up 50 yards to 100 yards out, if enough cover & wind in your favor run at him with a long version scream type mews 1 1/2 sec long, give 4-5 of them as you stomp/thunder your way to him. Let him know you're coming hard & fast! Just before you get to where you want to be for a look see or possible shot stop calling & running & slip in the last 10-20 yards without being seen, look for him before he spots you, if you don't see him stay put & ready, do not step out into an opening. At times he's right there & you've got your shot at him, I've had to wait 5 min on other occasions before he slipped in for a peek. If all of a sudden you hear him raking a tree or brush this shows he's displaying for this cow he's heard, he's now showing her what he has to offer, this may be your chance to re-position for the shot? Be ready & willing to take what's offered! This can also apply to bugling & running at him as well, all depends how you were working him. I've had it work well in both instances!--------

There are many more methods & suggestions in this Chapter, just giving you a taste as to what's in it! I do not know the cost at this time, but have hopes of this PlayBook being ready in several weeks!

Is there a Chapter here that may interest you as to what's in it?

Here's the "Table Of Contents" in it's finished form!

1- Introduction

2- Elk Sounds

3- Scouting Elk Country

4- Calling At Night

5- Decoy Use

6-Full Moon Hunting

7-Wallow Setups

8-Hung Up Bulls

9-Popping/Nervous Grunt Tactics

10-Herd Bull Or Satellite

11-Glunking

12-Threat Levels

13-Caller / Shooter Setups

14-Early Season Tactics

15-Midday Tactics

16-Aggressive Cow Calling

17-Aggressive Tactics

18-Lone Hunter Tactics

19-Hunting Bedding Areas?

20-The Shot & Blood Trailing

21-Gutless Method & Meat Care

22-Packing Basic Items

**You can pre-order the book from his website:
http://www.elknut.com/

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a couple of ElkNut's CDs. They're full of good information.
I checked the website you included and couldn't find a price for the book anywhere..? How much?

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
The book cost is $15.95 plus S/H

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you pimping this book because you are family? I couldn't help but notice, you got's the same last name........grin

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
huntsman22 - Close! smile

I am not family and have purchased items from his store. I have also tapped him on Elk and gear recommendations.

Plus, these forums should be all about helping each other. (I think so, anyway!)

I cannot wait to receive this book as I hope it will help me with my next hunt in 2010!!!

Last edited by BSLugnut; 02/07/09.

IC B2

G
G
I have been waiting anxiously for over a month for this book to come out. I got a tip Paul was putting together a book from somebody on archery talk and as soon as you could put in a pre-order I did. I can't wait to get the book and soak it up. I am planning my first ever archery elk hunt DIY backcountry in CO, and I am buying and reading as much as I can about Elk hunting. This should be another great resource. I also ordered a couple dvds as well

"Thats why they call it hunting"
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E

Guys, thanks for the interest in the PlayBook! It's coming but it sure is taking its time to be published! (grin) It always seems to be something, they are now expected on the 27th! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
For the record, I do not personally know or have ever met BS Lugnut (Rudy). We've talked on the phone before & he seems like a great guy but we aren't related! (grin) You gotta love bugling bulls!

ElkNut1

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
This is the latest update on ElkNut�s Playbook that I have received from Paul. The publishers worked through this past weekend & assure him that he should have several hundred of them by Friday & they will start shipping them out immediately. Everyone should have their PlayBooks next week for sure in their hands!All inside pages are 80# weight & gloss coated to help as much as possible against moisture damage. The outside cover is also glossy with an extra UV coating at 110# weight. They did this for the best possible durability within reason. Paul also had the font size enlarged to a #-10, he wanted a bit larger print for guys that are wiser! (half blind) He also opted for a durable core binding instead of stitching or glues. The reason for this is so you can open it up where they may need to quickly & it will stay open right there & not try to close on you! There are several blank pages in the middle & back of book for notes. Those pages say �notes� on them. They did their best to really put out a nice long lasting PlayBook!!! They wanted a Cadillac not a Volkswagen! Maybe that�s why it�s taking longer than expected?

This is book has gotten me gitty as a school girl!!!

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
This is from Paul:

Well, it finally looks like I will be getting half the PlayBooks ordered late today & the rest late tomorrow! (grin)

We will start signing & packaging up readying them for the Postal Service. Shipments will hit the mail on Saturday with the remaining ones shipped out on Monday! Deliveries will take place according to when you ordered. The first ones received will be the first ones to go out!!

Thank you guys so much for your patience, it was a waiting game for all of us! Actually this was a test. Yes a test of your patience & maintaining composure while under stress & pressure! (grin) We were just readying you for elk season!!!!

Thanks!
ElkNut1

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I received my books in the mail!!! Woohoo...Look at me I am doing the "Moonwalk"!

Huhm...

I will start reading this baby this evening and put down David Long's book!

I will post a review very soon!

IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Who do I order this book from, and are they available in Canada?

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
hansol - You can order the book from his website:

http://www.elknut.com/

Let me know if you have any questions, I am almost hals-way through the book

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have known Paul and Paul Jr from another forum and believe me he is like no other when it comes to down to earth, realistic, been there, done that, Elk information. Paul is one of the few people I know than can get down to basic informative information that really works when pursuing the almighty Wapity. I have all of his Elk calling CD's and if you want to increase your chances for getting an Elk his CD's are a must. Nothing fancy about Paul, he just knows his stuff. Tom.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Over the years I have read a lot of books, magazine articles and forums on elk hunting. I have also watched waayyy too many TV shows and DVDs, according to my wife. Elk hunting is becoming a passion of mine and I try to gain as much information that I can. This book will reside e right next to my other 2 favorite books Backcountry Bowhunting by Cameron Hanes and Bugling for Elk by Dwight Schuh

Well after a horrific week at work, I finally was able to finish my first reading of ElkNut�s Playbook today. I say first, because this book will be a resource for me in the off-season of hunting and a book that I will take to every elk camp. Even after just one read my mind is racing and tracing! I would read a chapter and immediately apply it to my last elk hunt, its setups and situations that I was in.

The Playbook has a ton of useful information, possible more than all of the above mentioned, combined. In fact, you will be amazed at the amount of info in just first few pages! The book is designed to be an easy reference guide, not necessarily a �How-to!�Now I know why he has a DVD titled "Worse than Wolves!"

As you can see in the photo, the size of the book is great for putting in your pack or even a cargo pocket on your pant!

There are even sections in the book for you to write notes in, without having to write it sideways or in small print. It is also spiral bound so that it easy to keep open. The cover is 110# weight paper & the pages are 80#. The inside pages are all done out of heavy duty gloss material to resist moisture much more so than conventional paper. The cover is also done with this gloss & an added UV coating is on the outside covers for extra durability & weather resistant. This provides some durability of the book, while still keeping �pack worthy!�

After reading ElkNut�s Playbook, I believe that anyone who wants to start elk hunting or would like to increase their potential to be a more successful elk hunter should get purchase this book and his DVDs. I read a post a while back on Paul and one of the users wrote: �If I was an elk, I would go to the Humane Society to see if they could get all of ElkNut�s stuff banned!�

With ElkNut�s Playbook, you can stop educating the elk and start educating yourself!

Unfortunately, I will have to wait until 2010 to put this awesome tool to use!

The coolest part about this book is that I purchased one for my 1 yr old son and had Paul sign it. While my wife Amy and I were showing the book to Ciro he pointed to the elk and said his very first word �ELK!� Amy looked at me and said, �Did he just say what I think he said?� Amy pointed to the book again, he pointed to the elk and said, �Elk� again! So, while he first words were not �Mommy� or �Daddy� we are still very thrilled on his choice!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (300_savage, 257wthbylover, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 1,876 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.