Print Thread
Hop To
#3668690 01/11/10
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I already posted this in the rifle section but it really deserves to be here.... anyways.

I had to make the title of this thread be the same text that I had sent to my friends after I took down this great Tule bull elk in CA a few days ago. I got the text of my phone twice during the MT elk opener from them, but this time but I had to miss due to my new son being born. Anyways, here is the story. After scouting for a day and a half and seeing around 10 bulls, we decided to go with a spot at first light on opening day. It paid off. My buddy Fred who was in the truck with us spotted this bull drinking out of a pond right at first light. I pop out of the truck and threw in 3 Fed 180 grain TSX in the chamber of a 1962 Rem 700 in 30-06 with 20 inch barrel. In the meantime, the bull got the deal and started to boogie. I used a cow to stop him so I could close the gap, which I did well. I got to 250 and put one in his front shoulder and out the rear quarter. Angle shot. It definately slowed him down but he wasnt over. At the time I was racking in the final shot needed, I noticed he was walking towards a two track up the mountain. I decided to wait for him cross it and then give the medicine. It worked and he dropped him right in a place where we could bring the truck and use rachet to get him in. What a morning. After the elk was down, Fred and Jack decided to go get a bigger truck for the job. This left me some alone time on the mountain and the elk. At that very time when they left, I remembered that my Gradfather died Dec 30 1986. 23 years ago to the day. He was my mentor when it came to hunting and fishing. I miss him greatly even now. The morning was perfect and still, great time to think about him. Very, very quiet. The bull is a 6x4. 2 broke off during fighting, or would have a 6x6, and a nice one as well. 462.5 lbs.dressed. 8+ years old. All by himself out there this morning.

Now about the gun. This gun was given to me by no other than Mule Deer or John Barsness last Jan. It was designed to be a gift to my son. The rifle has a man's name on it very small on the barrel. "Jim Heller" I just sometimes wonder what kind of game did he take with it. THe rifle is SUPER accurate with TSX bullets. Scope is an older Leupold 2-7. The rifle also popped a bobcat and coyote at 192 and 252 yards. My shotgun missed a big pig, so not all was perfect. In all, I had the time of my life last week, espcially since I had to give up my MT tag and I was with great friends. Next year it is Afghanistan.

This was a special hunt. One of my VERY GOOD partners here has prostate cancer.

I also snapped a pic of the 2 recovered 180 TSXs, and few bull ivory.

I just added an interesting chapter to the life of the Heller rifle. John, this one is a lot for you. I can see Colton one day tracking that big elusive bull or buck with this rifle, and getting him.

All the best fellas....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet man Congrats..Good pics too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
nice bull and nice bobcat. i got a cat last year that had just caught a squrrel. had it in his mouth when i shot him. the teeth make the bullets look big. hahaha

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
very nice..congrats!! 163bc

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
congrats

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
R
Dude the whole story is awesome.

First thing I noticed was the rifle..... Gotta love older 700s.

Rick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.