Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When processing out an elk, do you remove the meat between the ribs for use in grind meats or is it not fit to eat..?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, grind or BBQ it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take it all. As hard as I work for meat, I ain't wasting any.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I take the rib meat - cut in and out of each rib- brisket and neck in one huge slab- Burger!

if ya like bbq ribs cut so a single rib has meat on each side -

+1 on leavin nothing!

Az

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take it. Here's my partner with an elk of mine:

[Linked Image]

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just cut them down so they will fit in a crockpot, sear them on the barbie or smoke them for a while and then throw them in the crockpot all day with your favorite bbq sauce and whalla. They are pretty good that way.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take it! it all grinds up just fine.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
Take it. Here's my partner with an elk of mine:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Rogue
Take it all. As hard as I work for meat, I ain't wasting any.
][Linked Image]

Ahhhh,...now those are the kind of pictures I need to see. Has most of the neck meat already been removed on Waders, or is there still more to go..? Is that one "picked clean" as they say..?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I recall, our backs were getting tired and we had put the carcass on the stump to use as a table. Looking at the pic, I think we were about done. We might have picked a little more neck meat, but, necks tend to look meatier than they really are. So I can't say for sure what happened there.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the photo of mine, we had only worked one side at that point. I use the gutless method on Elk and Bear.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
When processing out an elk, do you remove the meat between the ribs for use in grind meats or is it not fit to eat..?

Give your head a shake! Where in the world would you get the advice that elk rib meat is not fit to eat!!! Elk ribs are our preferred camp feast after a successful hunt. Hack out the ribs ( bone in) with saw or hatchet and cut into 4" chunks, each with a bone to use later as an eating handle. Sear and brown well over an open wood fire. Toss in a big stock pot with a whole onion or two, some beef soup stock powder, a small handful of pepper and a small handful of seasoned salt or Montreal steak spice. Simmer for a whole afternoon until falling of the bone tender. With bannock or fresh baked bread, some root vegetables and if you are real fortunate a good bottle of red wine, there is no better camp meal on earth!

- and if for some reason you can't cook and prepare it this way, debone, strip out the fat and use the meat in ground venison or sausage. Throwing away good meat is a crime!

S
S
Teachem Young to take Rib Meat!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by castnblast

Where in the world would you get the advice that elk rib meat is not fit to eat!!!

Round here, nobody fiddles much with deer ribs. Didn't know if there was much of a difference between deer and elk.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ribs fixed right are very good eating. We like to parboil to tenderize and get rid of some of the fat then slow cook the ribs with BBQ sauce. I am glad to know other hunters also make the coyotes cuss when they find only the bones left behind. Some of the carcasses I find in the field have so much meat left on them I now understand how some hunters are able to pack out in one trip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on the pack length.If strapped good I leave all that rib stuff for the coyotes.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Brown the ribs, then throw them in a pressure cooker. Add potatoes, sauerkraut, brown sugar, caraway, and water. Cook 15 minutes after the top starts jiggling good.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by castnblast

Where in the world would you get the advice that elk rib meat is not fit to eat!!!

Round here, nobody fiddles much with deer ribs. Didn't know if there was much of a difference between deer and elk.

OK, deer ribs I could grudgingly agree with, but Elk ribs are good! Try the recipe, you'll see!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Just cut them down so they will fit in a crockpot, sear them on the barbie or smoke them for a while and then throw them in the crockpot all day with your favorite bbq sauce and whalla. They are pretty good that way.

I can vouch for this method. Everyone should try this. It's easy and it turns rib meat into a meal that will rival any other cut from the animal.

Kinda funny story about this, this year - We kept the ribs from an exceptionally large elk this year intending to prepare all of the ribs this way. When we saw how much ribs we had (and how little freezer space) we decided to only keep enough for one crock pot feast and returned the rest to the game processor 30 miles away. (This huge cow had better than 1" layer of brisket and a nice layer of fat above that.) Then after discovering how incredible the crock pot deal turned out we tried to get the ribs back from the processor again, but he had already ground them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I start at the brisket and fillet everything down along the out side of the ribs to the spine and then separate that along with the front should.What is left is only the meat between the ribs which usually is about 1/2 fat and sinu. Most of my packs are 6+ miles and I figure what little I leave there is less than 3 lbs or so. Yes ribs are good to eat, and if the elk is close to camp I do it differently.
I probably leave less rib meat than most guys lose when shoulder shooting

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Rogue
In the photo of mine, we had only worked one side at that point. I use the gutless method on Elk and Bear.

How do you get the tenderloins if you use the gutless method?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.