Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Which state for a do it yourself or outfitter at a reasonable price to harvest and elk for a non resident? Cost ideas for it? Thanks. It use to be Colorado but their tags have gone up quite a bit from years past.

GB1

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Probably still colorado, easy over the counter tag, lots of elk, And trophy potential with 20 points.
There is no reasonable priced outfitter.
Colorado is still one of the cheapest.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would say Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana in that order. CO and ID have OTC tags and you can hunt every year. ID has had wolf issues in some units but there are still good opportunities from what i read. MT has the best trophy potential of those 4 but tags are much more expensive.

Isaiah 6:8

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
WYOMING never yet been skunked in Wyoming. I have not hunted Colorado or Montana but all of the rest of the western states. Esox357, if you want to hunt elk, and are not after a trophy send me a pm.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I'd say Colorado, lots of OTC tags and the state with the largest number of elk!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colorado and Wyoming

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Probably Colorado. If you have a lot of time to hunt, or want more flexibility, other states may be better due to longer seasons. In Wyoming, Type 1 tags are good for a month and type 4 & 6 are good for 2 months. I have friends in Wyoming and it's an easy day's drive, so it is the best state for me.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys for the info. Elkmen I will keep that in mind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Colorado and Wyoming, IVE hunted both, Wyoming has better potential in my opinion, but COLORADOS far easier to get tags in most years

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
After seeing the stats for hunter success if I was from out of state it would be Wyoming. The success rate for Wyoming averages 40%, Colorado last year it was 21%.

Last edited by LostHighway; 03/17/12.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LostHighway
After seeing the stats for hunter sucess if I was from out of state it would be Wyoming. The sucess rate for Wyoming averages 40%, Colorado last year it was 21%.

Success rates can be misleading at times. Population trend surveys and population composition surveys tend to provide a more clear picture in relation to actual opportunity. When coupling that information with hunter density and man days of effort and subsequent success rate, then you begin to get a clear picture as to which unit per whatever state offers the best opportunity.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, success rates by themselves are meaningless stats. Gotta put them in perspective with lots of other things. % Wilderness/access/roads, vegetation density and terrain all effect success rates.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
After seeing the stats for hunter success if I was from out of state it would be Wyoming. The success rate for Wyoming averages 40%, Colorado last year it was 21%.

Does seem consistent with what those who have hunted both say, such as Elkman and 340 mag. I also have two friends in the Cheyenne area and they get elk almost every year. I can't say that about myself or any of the numerous elk hunters I know of in Colorado.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Also -- Colorado seasons are generally very short, about 5 days. Wyoming generally gets at least 14 days, so you don't have as many people in the forest. Lot's more hunters in Colorado. Grew up in Wyo and live and hunt in Colorado. Colorado has more mountains and thus more elk.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Washington, across the counter tags, and the prices are realistic, and they have a large population on public land.

Success rates are meaningless. If you can hunt elk then you will kill elk.

A State could have 100% success but if it means only a few people get to hunt and the cost is out of range of middle class people, then you don't really have good hunting.

I don't hunt Colorado because there is great hunting closer to home. But, I do hunt CA, OR, ID, WY, WA, and UT. And I love Eastern OR like a step sister, a good looking one at that, but WA is my favorite for elk.

You should go to CO, NM,or AZ, - LOL.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 03/20/12.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Also -- Colorado seasons are generally very short, about 5 days. Wyoming generally gets at least 14 days, so you don't have as many people in the forest. Lot's more hunters in Colorado. Grew up in Wyo and live and hunt in Colorado. Colorado has more mountains and thus more elk.

Colorado's 2nd and 3rd season are 9 days, two weekends,as is ML season.Archery is about 1 month

1st&4th season is 5 days.

Figure 44400 elk killed, 21% sucess,that is about 200,000 + hunters. A tad crowded at times,especially 1st season.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Not exactly true.

Archery...30 days
Muzzy......9 days
Plains....30 days
1st rifle...5 days
2nd rifle...9 days
3rd rifle 9 day
4th rifle..5 days

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 358WCF, 13 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.