Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A ladder. Tie it on top of the truck or camper to get it there. It sure simplifies putting up a meat pole, hanging quarters, or whatever.
I have a stock rack on my pickup to haul my llamas to camp. The ladder goes on top of the rack. It weighs nothing and only adds 4" to the height.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

C
C
I don't now about the hanging of meat in camp but I have a good product info for you. I am thinking that it can be helpful for you.
I use a camping toaster oven. It prices about $3.00-$4.00 and you can purchase it at Wal-Mart. It is retractable and performs perfectly. You put it on a outdoor camping stove and in a matter of a few moments, you can have toast. You do have to be cautious in viewing because you can quickly burn the toast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not recall ever being in a hunting camp and thinking, WOW, this would be great if only we had toast. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by milespatton
I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not recall ever being in a hunting camp and thinking, WOW, this would be great if only we had toast. grin miles

If you burn the toast sufficiently, you can tie it to the end of your rope and use it as a weight to toss over limbs. grin

Do tell more.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Welcome Clarence. I see you are new to the site. I hope you find it informative. Where are you from?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Make sure one of your hunting partners is over 6 ft tall. I also always have a 6 ft ladder that I use to put up high lines. Additionally I have a rope fence stretcher that doubles as a com--along to lift meat if needed.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I usually simply put the meat in plastic tubs instead of decorating the campsite with it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
I usually simply put the meat in plastic tubs instead of decorating the campsite with it.

Might be fine if the meat is already cool,but can be disatrous if not.Additionally "hanging" the meat aids in the aging.

Mule Deer can expound on that I believe.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
The ladder is also useful after a week of camp cooking. You can get the cook high enough to push him off with a rope around his neck.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those that take up pronghorn hunting in areas that are level endless plains, a ladder is priceless. Use the tallest one can transport, erect it in the back of ones pickup, climb up, and one will more than triple his effective viewing area.

The suggestion came from a warden who kept track of hunters using that method. When the wife got her next tag, we brought the ladder along. Folks were driving the roads and not seeing much with an effective view range of 400 to 800 yds over sagebrush. Cookie had 7 separate bucks picked out from the ladder before we even left camp, and none of them could be seen from the ground. MUch easier than bringing a crew along for a blanket toss.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/04/12.

1Minute
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome! Hanging meat always make me hungry for toasts! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I built a portable rack from black pipe. Six poles, three for either end like a teepee frame, chained together using eye bolts in holes near tone end. A heavier pipe just lays across the top. It will hold a couple elk and then some. Comes apart fairly easily. The teepee poles are two sections each with a cap on the bottom end of the bottom pieces to help prevent them from sinking into the ground.

In areas where there are no trees or they are too far apart of normal hanging poles, this works very well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Grady is 6'3"... just sayin! wonder how one hangs meat at a fairly open trail head?

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ladymulerider
Grady is 6'3"... just sayin! wonder how one hangs meat at a fairly open trail head?

I hang mine inside the stock trailer on the center divider.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I suggest not like this. I was stunned when I arrived in a NE BC camp, area loaded with grizzly, that they just hung the stuff. I lost an elk quarter and was left a mauled two after the fifth night. Dog was going nutz that night and in another camp a grizz was killed in the camp. Never figured it?

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In all National Forests with designated Grizzly recover areas, technically all meat and other attractants must hung 4 feet away from the bole of the hanging tree and be no less than 10 feet off of the ground. If the Agencies strictly enforced these regulations, they would run out of ticket books in short order. CP.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If Canada enforced the same they would struggle to find camp...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CP
In all National Forests with designated Grizzly recover areas, technically all meat and other attractants must hung 4 feet away from the bole of the hanging tree and be no less than 10 feet off of the ground. If the Agencies strictly enforced these regulations, they would run out of ticket books in short order. CP.
I wonder how many of the rulemakers have actually tried to get an elk quarter 10' off the ground. Now you're not talking about an 8' step ladder. Now you need a 24' extension ladder. If you want a meat pole, it will have to be a minimum of 15' high.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My thought exactly! Typical federal bull crap. Undoubtedly some enviro geek with an REI membership card and a Sierra Club calender.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I know-I know� I have had a number of conversations with the so-called leadership in the USFS in this regard- all to no avail. You may also want to take note of the soft-side camper restrictions, as well as, the required treatment of down animals along designated trails and near camps. CP.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5127774.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 13 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.