Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Hey folks,

I'm hoping to try and process my first cow elk and am looking for an instructional video. I am definitely a need to see it type of guy so looking for suggestions. I'm hoping to find a video that takes you through all the stages. Thanks a lot

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWD9QrwcVE

Looks pretty good..although i believe theres also meat to be had from the ribs.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for that link. I am really interested in once you have the animal home how to properly cut the quarters up into steaks and what not. I've watched a lot of deer videos like that and I'm sure its the same just a much bigger animal.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This one is actually pretty good, though it may shortcut how to strip off the dried exterior, fascia, and sinew a bit. The guy doing the demo refers to fileting a fish like he expects his viewer to have done that. It is in fact very much like skinning a filet. There is more than one way to do this, and it may take some experimentation to find your own technique. A sharp knife is a must, and something flexible like a boning or filet knife is easiest to use for the job. The slicing knife should be 10 or 11 inches at least to be able to cut across the larger cuts to make neat steaks. A short knife will make you saw a lot and give uneven thicknesses, yielding less tidy work.

I was quite surprised to see him doing almost exactly what I do in separating the muscles and stripping off all fat, sinew, fascia, etc., before making steaks or other cuts.. If you are fastidious about the sinew and muscle fascia (also called silverskin), and get it all off the muscles, it does make for very much less chewy meat. On some of these separated out muscles, you can tell if you have a tough one that should be cubed or ground by how firm it is when you probe it with stiff fingers. If it gives, steak, if it does not, then burger, pot roast or something that you will slow cook to make it tender.

Probably watching several different videos will give you a better perspective of what you want for cuts, and different techniques to get there. It would be easiest to have someone show you or have an experienced hand helping you for a time or two. I have taught newbies by me taking a quarter and having them take the other of a pair, and then demonstrating step by step, with them following me on their piece. For visual learners, that has worked well. We have done everything from deer to bison that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JLmMADbGbY

Best of luck. You should have some good eating off that cow.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Jaguar thanks so much that is a big help. You are so right about following someone side by side while they were doing it. That would help a ton

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you go on a hunt and get one Ken?

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
ColoradoDNR has one that isn't too bad

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
No I still haven't yet Huntinut just hopin to help my buddy out if he's successful this month. How about you?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Most any video while its at the processer.grin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you can help a local processer a couple of seasons. Right or left that is how I got aholt of it.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 16 invisible), 1,115 guests, and 808 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.