Print Thread
Hop To
S
Soft7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I need your help please. I am looking to book an bull elk hunt for the fall of this year. I have over half the money to lay down right now. The hunt can be gun or bow. Also, I would prefer to hunt the states of Colorado, Wyoming, or possibly NM, with a high success of drawing a tag,.. and a high chance of actually having the opportunity to shoot a decent bull. I am aware of the 100 negative variables that could occur. I am just having a hard time searching on the internet and was hoping that some of you guys could share your experience with me who have used an outfitter in past.

My budget is $5000 with tag (not including transportation or hotel). In addition, I will probably be by myself and plan on driving from Wisconsin.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm curious too. Would like to do the same. Sounds like one hell of a drive. I would be flying from Atlanta.

You'll shoot your eye out
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Do you have any points in Colorado or Wyoming ?

MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
With 2 or maybe 3 points in Colorado I would check with J-Bar-H Outfitters.
Unit 12, plenty of elk maybe not the monsters of other units
Jeanne Horne and her crew (guides, cooks, packers) are all professionals.
Jeanne is a member of the Colorado Wildlife Commission.

S
Soft7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
No points, I am very much open.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
J-BAr-H operating out of Meeker in Co Unit 12 Pretty sure you can get an archery hunt,probably not rifle though.Cost would be way under $5000

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The deadline for applying for non-resident elk in Wy is Jan. 31. You better get busy. Give Triangle X Ranch a call 307 733-2183. They hunt the South boundary of Yellowstone and still do very well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Last fall, I went with Bald Mountain Outfitters (Terry Pollard) out of Pinedale, Wyo. Terry hunts the Wind River Range. Great outfit and wilderness accomodations. Lots of horseback riding!

While Terry cannot "guarantee" a license, he has exclusive outfitter rights to the area that he hunts and will promise that you will draw.

I know that the first rifle season (Sept 20-25th) is full, because my buddy and I signed on again for this year and took the last two spots. Earlier archery and 2cd and/or third rifle season may have openings. I enjoyed the hunt so much that I also signed on for 2014 and will be taking 5 friends along.

The hunt is approx. $4750 and $591 for a license.

Check out baldmountainoutfitters.com for more details.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You might try Kiowa Hunting Services in Raton NM. www.kiowahunting.com and se if Tim has something that would work for you. Tell him I sent you. (Probably double the price if you do that. whistle) I only do cow hunts but I know he does have other hunts available.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've hunted with Dick Dodds at Elkhorn Outfitter in Craig Colorado 4 times and would not hesitate to go again. I'm looking forward to the next trip! Tags are guaranteed over the counter and Dick and his staff always work hard to find the elk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXokRbWG3DQ

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in one well preserved piece, but rather to skid across the line sideways, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil and shouting "GERONIMO" at the top of your lungs!!!!"
IC B3

S
Soft7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks everyone for your reply and feedback. I am going to be researching this weekend and will be making calls hopefully will booked something by the end of the month. Please keep the recommendations coming if you have any input.

Robert

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All guides apart be real careful on where you get your meat processed. I have heard horror stories of price gouging and meat being shorted.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J&D Outfitters = Doyle Worbington (great guy with great hunts available!!)

www.jdoutfitters.com

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/18/13.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunted with Circle Seven Outfitters out of NM three years ago with Rick Rodgers out of Cloud Croft and it was great. Shot a 330" bull with a BP rifle for $3,750. Hunt was awesome and would go back for a similar sized bull with bow. He does a great job without a lot frills. Fly into El Paso, drive across the desert, then you are there. A load if fun for decent money. Saw good bulls.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a question that I hope will contribute to the thread instead of highjack it.

Has anyone hunted with or know of someone that has hunted with Bliss Creek Outfitters in WY?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have not hunted with Bliss Creek but I did see a report from another site that indicated they have been hit really hard by wolves in their area. During the hunt, one elk was seen. Otherwise, great operation from what I have heard.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.