Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Had the opportunity to go out elk hunting yesterday. Utah's spike season had been open for 6 days, but this was opening morning for myself. The night before I drove to the hunting grounds and slept in the truck.

As morning hit I made my way to a lookout point. Elk were bugling periodically as I noticed an elk walking on a distant ridge. I quickly headed over and was pleased to see it was a spike.

I didn't have a rangefinder, but guessed it to be around 400 yards. Not knowing exact yards and not able to get a good rest I elected to pass for the moment. The elk walked in the trees and I began to wait hoping they would hit another clearing closer to me. After a few wheelers pulled in below me I decided to go in the trees.

I could smell elk and not long after I heard some trees break to my left. As I looked a spike was walking towards me at 10 yards. He turned and angled in front of me. I barely had time to put in my ear protection and crank my scope to low power (which I had forgot to do earlier) when he hit a small opening 15 yards in front of me. One shot and a few steps later he was down.

[Linked Image]

Field dressing and packing out an elk by yourself is a lot of work. Luckily I'll have these two little ones to help me in the years to come. They are elk lovers.

[Linked Image]

And the view looking back up the mountain after everything was loaded back in the truck.

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good job hunting and not just shooting. The look on your boys faces is priceless. They are going to be hunters for sure.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good call on passing up the first "shot opportunity " and congratulations on your hunting skills. Refreshing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sweet hunt. It doesn't get any better than when the boys can go.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Congrats Gledeasy. Nice work and beautiful country your future elk hunters have to roam in.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Way to go! Great hunt!

Semper Fi
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I like it! most the places I hunt you have to get in after'm or get nothing.

Kent

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice! Looks like you are in for a lot of years of fun with good hunting partners in the years ahead.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great story and photos! I hope to see the posts when your two young assistants start getting it done. Good on you!

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool picture.., looks like ya got some future hunting pards

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Congratulations on a good hunt. Well done.

NRA Range Technical Team Advisor-Retired
Nra Endowment member
TSRA member
NRA F-class Master
NRA Pistol Coach-Retired
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Utah's antler point rules must be different than Idaho's. Here, that extra point on the right side makes it illegal for a spike hunt.

Nice elk, though.

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone. I really can't wait to take these two with me. I was really tempted in taking the 3 year old this year. They both know what the elk says.

What's the earliest you guys have taken kids hunting? I would obviously be limited in how far I could hike, but was more worried for when the moment comes to shoot whether I could get him to stay behind me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Utah's antler point rules must be different than Idaho's. Here, that extra point on the right side makes it illegal for a spike hunt.

Nice elk, though.

[Linked Image]

In Utah as long as one side is a spike it is considered legal. In fact if I am not mistaken if one side is either a spike or doesn't branch above the ear it is legal for the taking.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by castnblast
Good call on passing up the first "shot opportunity " and congratulations on your hunting skills. Refreshing.

Agreed!

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
G.. congrat's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats! It sure would be nice to wake and go kill and elk:) You guys do have some nice looking elk country down there. That one would be legal here in Oregon as well in a spike only hunt, heck that would pretty much be a trophy up here!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for your story and pictures.
Congratulations.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gledeasy
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Nice elk, though.

[Linked Image]

In Utah as long as one side is a spike it is considered legal. In fact if I am not mistaken if one side is either a spike or doesn't branch above the ear it is legal for the taking.
Here in Idaho, the regs are picky. You can't have a branch on either side in a spike hunt. At least 1 antler has to be 6" or more long. A point is a protrusion of 1" or more in length. It's darn hard to catch an elk to measure those bumps. Usually the beams on a spike are well over 6" but I've seen a few that would have to be measured to be sure they're legal.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Way to go. Glad we don't have the antler restrictions it's just "any antlered"

Does your gun have a muzzle brake? Having to put ear protection in before shooting can be very problematic sometimes! Hunting elk solo is not a lot of fun once you pull the trigger too!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.