Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
After 13 years I finally drew a limited entry nonresident elk permit in Utah. I'll be hunting the Wasatch late rifle hunt which takes place in mid November. Fairly steep country and much higher altitude than my 1000 ft ASL lungs are used to. Hopefully not too much (or any) snow. Snow or not I'm going to give it 100% in pursuit of a big bull. I don't know any other way to hunt. grin

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Sambo !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats!

While you never can tell how much snow we will have in November, I'd most certainly plan it being there...

β€œThere are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on pulling a great tag!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sambo3006
" ... I'll be hunting the Wasatch late rifle hunt which takes place in mid November. ... and much higher altitude than my 1000 ft ASL lungs are used to. Hopefully not too much (or any) snow. grin

In the Rocky Mtns at altitude during mid-November ...........
always plan for deep snow conditions. Maybe you won't have the deep snow, but be prepared.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you for the advice Leanwolf. I'm certainly going to plan for snow no matter what the forecast is, both vehicle and personal gear. A healthy dose of common sense goes a long way as well. I've had to deal with snow several times in western Colorado at similar elevation a month earlier. I'd be a fool to think that I won't have to deal with it at all but I can certainly hope that it won't be bad. If snow conditions are bad I'll possibly use an outfitter, already have one in mind (would have to sell several toys to pay for that!). I'm also going to attempt to line up a packing service to retrieve my bull if the snow is deep or if I kill it in a nasty hole. That would be money well spent.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
sick Just points congrats on a great tag please post pics of the hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats.

Unfortunately I now have 14 points. smile

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm in Utah and conrats on a Great tag with some great Bull. As others have said, plan on snow to some degree for sure. one word of advise on that late hunt, if you are seeing a bunch of cows, you are in the wrong spot. Cows and bulls will be separated at that time. There are some 400" bulls in that unit but don't pass on a 360" looking for one unless you have big balls and help from someone who has one tied up for you. Good luck and keep us all posted. I got my "unsuccessful" Email a couple days ago!

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congrats man, that's awesome!!
Sure is some great hunting in that unit.
If you need help with a packing service let me know and I can get that info through a pm to you as well.

Good luck and look forward to hearing th story!!

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7887mm08, Akhutr, Algotguns, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,234
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.