Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shot yesterday at Ridgway.
Morning temps were 38 degrees and by the time we left at 3:00 it was only up to 47.
Started raining about 1:00.
For all of that, 96 shooters showed up.
The guy that set the record ran the yotes and bobcats at 1000 and 950 yards.Thats 20 targets with out a miss.He then proceeded to only miss to two chucks and two crows for a new range record of 36 target.
In those kinds of conditions thats just great shooting.
He shot a 7mm WSM of which I do not know the details.
The old record of 34 was set with a 284 Win with a 180g Berger hybrid.
Second place went to the lady who runs the match shooting a 6mm BR at 31 and third was a 29....dont know the details of that one at all.
My efforts netted me a 21 with a 17lb 300 RSAUM.
And a 20 with a unlimted 6.5x47.
I've had people ask me whats it all about,whats it like.
I say " ever go the the arcade when you were a kid? "
They say well yea.
I say did you have fun?
They say well yea.
I say," well just add a bit more yardage and your there"
When you pull the trigger and the yote or the crow falls over
You know right then how well your shooting.

dave

Ridgway Rifle Club
1,000 yd. Varmint Bench Rest Silhouette
May 6th
June 3rd
July 8th
*** August 4th & 5th -Two Day Aggregate Championship
September 9th
October 7th
The Ridgway Rifle Club introduced a brand new shooting discipline in 2010 combining Metallic
Silhouette and 1000 yard bench rest into one new exciting game. As in Silhouette the shooter will be
presented steel targets in banks of 5 at four distances that must be knocked over to be scored as a hit. There
are 20 shooting positions (benches). As in Silhouette competitors may request a starting animal and bank if
available, then be assigned a concrete bench and target bay for use in placing their equipment and rifles to
engage the target(s). As in silhouette, a match will consist of 40 shots fired for record, 10 shots at each
distance and different steel animal target. The match winner will be the competitor who knocks over the
greatest number of targets of the combined distances (best of 40).
Cost: $15 for one gun $20 for two guns for those wanting to compete in both the 12 and 17 lb classes
For more information contact Fred Kielbowick � klbwckfcomcast.net or call 814-772-4845 or visit
ridgwayrifleclub.com
The target shapes and distances are - Crows at 850 yards
Ground hogs at 900 yards
Bobcats at 950 yards
Coyotes at 1000 yards
There are two classes of guns:
� Heavy- with a maximum weight of 17 lbs and mirroring the dimension restrictions of the light gun
class established by the Original 1000 yard Bench Rest Club in Williamsport.
� And �
� Standard � with a maximum weight of 12 lbs with the same dimension restrictions as the Heavy class
gun.
Magnum Calibers may be used but none larger than .338 bullet diameter. In addition the Ridgway Rifle
Club reserves the right to disallow any competitor whose ammunition is found to be causing undo damage
to the steel targets.
As in the 1000 yd rules, the gun rests must be two separate items not physically connected .( no lead sleds
or one piece rests allowed nor may the gun be otherwise physically restricted from free recoil except by the
shooters shoulder and hands)
As in silhouette, a shooter may have a spotter or coach to assist during the competition.
Time limits � 5 min. to set up followed by 2 min. for sighters � 15 seconds to load after the ready
command followed by 4 min. for 5 shots at five animal targets for record after the fire command. After the
cease fire command all bolts will be removed from the firearms. Targets will then be reset and shooters will
have another 5 shot string, without additional sighters, completing that distance/animal before leaving the
line. When the shooters relay is re-called to the line he/she will advance on to the next distance/animal in
progressive sequence until all four distances and animals have been engaged.
Awards will be: Match Winner, 2nd Open, 1st � 3rd in each class.(Master, AAA, AA & A) in both rifle
categories, 12 lb. & 17 lb.
Classification: Competitors will be classified at their first attended match based on the score shot.
A class � 0- 10, AA class � 11 � 20, AAA class � 21 � 30, Master class � 31 � 40 . First time shooters will
compete in the highest class of the day. Awards will be given out 1 per three shooters in each class and gun
category.

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
sounds like a heck of a match idea!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rost im tellen ya.
Cost me a pile this year.
Havent shot this much since my short range BR days.
We average about 80 rounds a match.Figure 40 rounds for score and then your sighters.
Overheard the range master talking one day.
"Well we were making out 4 hour drive back from Williamsport one day after shooting our 10 shots,and started thinking about something else.I think we found it"

My 300 RSAUM is my goto and I ran it all year.
I shot pretty well this year.I won the first match of the year and did several 2nd and 3rd placers....placed 3rd in the 2 day back in August.But 36 targets??This guy came out of nowhere and set the record.Funny, the old record of 34 was set last October.
Must be something about October.
My 300 is still my go gun.And I plan on running it untill the barrel dies.we checked it at 900 rounds and it didnt look bad at all.
300 RSAUM
28" Obermeyer AMU + 1-11 twisted
Nosler case
210g Berger LRBT
60.4g of Ramshot Hunter.
Tula Mag primer.
Just shy of 1100 rounds right now.
Going to put it to bed for the winter....

I ran a second rifle for the last two matches.Only cost 5 dollars more crazy .Its a 6.5x47 set up as a 17lb but I had to enter it as an unlimited....actually was overweight with the S&B on top one match ago .
Dropped the S&B and put a fixed 24x Sightron on top for this last match.Rotated it 90 degrees in the rings so the windage knob was right at my finger tips.
HANDY AS HELL.
Weighed the rifle on there scale and it comes in at 16.5lbs,which is a good thing.
No flys on the Sightron at all.
The club will let heavy gun shooters run there unlimited rifle for 5 dollars.But it doesnt really count.But its nice that they do accomadate them.

Winter project is another 6.5x47 in a 12lb bench gun.
I got it bad.

dave

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
pluckin 7 wsm has done some great things on ranges over the years but I never have built one.... want to though.

Know how much you can spend having fun though too....

On the drive in and set the record.... I'm guilty of that honor a few times over the years and some folks were not overly happy, but its just the way it falls... every now and then you are invincible... and can't (except for olympic and nat champ level athletes) control when and where thats gonna be.

Tula primers must be treating you good.

Wish we had steel somewhere close to shoot at.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I looked real hard at the 300 WSM vs, the 300 RSAUM.
I never follow a crowd.
Heck im getting 2806 out of the RSAUM.
I dont like the neck or shoulder angle on the WSM.
I dont like the 6 grains extra it takes just to match my SAUM.
Im a big fan of the 6mm PPC.To me the 300 RSAUM is just a overgrown 6mm PPC.
Sooner or later ill bump into another one.
The Tula primer just works in my 300.
It was a another story in the 6.5x47.I was trying to make the SRM Tula primers work but the CCI-450 cut my verticle in half.

Ill give the guy that shot the 36 credit.
Thats damm fine shooting and I dont care who you are.
I see some very good shooting done with 6mm BRs and Dashers and 6x47s.But in my mind I just cant get over the thought you need a bit bigger gun.
If I ever get around to a 7mm
Ill run the 180g Berger hybrid and the RSAUM case.
The BC of that bullet is very difficult to beat
All you have to do is come up with something that shoots.

...on Sunday at about 43 to 47 I lost an inch on the dial at 1000.
I figure I did all of my load development between 70 and 85
degrees.
Fell out of my node.
I know excuses excuses.
Have to do a cold weather node load now I guess.
....my spotter did tell me that I put two rounds thru the leg holes on yotes at 1000...should have had a 23..... cry

dave

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
temp issues are just that and for picky stuff it pays to know where you need to be.

I used to chase it with MV issues vs temps and staying with the same MV seemed to mostly cure it.

Reason BR folks often load between relays too from what I always heard, if the load needed to be tweaked to conditions....

interesting thoughts on 7 rsaum... never even considered those rounds for some reason. Whats brass availability like? Can be formed off something else?

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I always reloaded at the range for short range BR because I never had that many cases.Alot nicer to try to keep track of 20 rounds instead of 100.

I started out with a pile of 300 RSAUM Norma brass.Its pretty good.Picked up a box of the Nosler stuff.
.....I was a tool and die maker for 30 years so I dug my vee mics out and started checking some loaded rounds.Checking round diameters with regular 0-1 mics is kinda rude.And people will make all kinds of claims about how they can measure in tents of a thousand. Mostly bullchit.
The vee mics give a pretty good idea of what your dealing with.The Nosler brass measured better then the norma brass.
Just that simple.
I have some that have as many as 12 reloads.
I really dont care who makes it.
It works.
People were making 7mm RSAUM brass rounds from 300 RSAUM.
Now I think you can just get them.
Figure 280 AI case capacity in a short fat powder column.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice post. Keep up the great work Dave.

Marc

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Dave, we were visiting and went to the Ridgway shoot in May..What a great bunch of folks..everyone made us feel welcome even though we were just watching the events..the guy who makes 10x rifles in Dubois let we watch as one of his pals shot at the coyotes..quite an experience to see the bullet trails on the way to the targets..I am not sure who one that day..but my step daughter and her husband joined the club on the spot..but so far have not been able to shoot..I wondered how the event was scored, now I understand..in my youth, I knew several long range shooters from that country..they are all gone now..This is certainly a science and sport like no other..hopefully, we will get to watch another match this fall or next spring..I believe the Williamsport 1000 yard benchrest club was just getting going when I left that country..Alex Hoyer what one of the big names in those days, and around Dubois, R. K Nelson was one of the great shooters..Never got to meet either..much to my sorrow, but two of my older pals knew both men..thanks for the report..when is the next shoot????

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 14 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.