Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#7410488 02/06/13
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Been meaning to do this for a while now... with the proliferation of 'wide' bipods for competitive F/TR shooting, we've been seeing a lot of cool gear hitting the market. Pretty much anything you can think of, someone is either making it or working on how to make it. One that seems to stay under the radar thus far is the 'Flex' bipod by Dan Pohlabel.

[Linked Image]

It's a very simple design... no mariners wheel for vertical adjustment, no joystick head, no changing width as it goes up and down... it is very light (as are most, these days) but also very durable. I haven't actively tried to destructively test it (generally, I don't have to; it just 'happens' - one of my talents wink )but so far it's held up to being tossed in the back of the truck, hauled around to the range and everywhere else in between, etc. Definitely has not been 'babied' in any way, and its not noticeably any worse for wear. An added bonus is that it breaks down *very* flat for airline travel. Take the 'feet' off, take out the ratchet lever w/ screw, and it nestles very nicely in the bottom layer of foam in my gun case (with necessary cuts for the head, etc.) I'm definitely not worried about it mechanically in there - if they bash the case hard enough to damage what is essentially a plate of spring steel... I've likely got bigger worries.

[Linked Image]

This view shows a bit of the adjustment controls. Each leg has independent control for height, and there is a ratcheting locking lever that controls the cant. Instead of being directly centered like most other designs I've seen, this one is off-set a little, allowing a fair amount of movement without allowing it to completely 'flop' over to one side. Being as I've had guns literally flip over as they tipped over too far using other designs... I can appreciate this quite a bit. Also having the tilt control relatively close/tight to the bore of the gun helps with the stability as well.

[Linked Image]

Dan's original use was up in his locale of Ohio, where apparently grassy firing lines are the norm. Here in the PNW... I seem to encounter concrete or gravel more often myself, which is why I usually shoot off some sort of matt under the 'pod to keep it from sinking in too far. Dan's newest models have feet with some teeth to 'em to give better traction on hard surfaces such as the hard-pack clay/dirt under the skim of gravel @ Raton NM...

Why would you want more traction? Well... not every body wants a 'pod that slides around like a hog on ice. Some people manage to get things tracking straight back and forth, almost like it was constrained by a front rest. Personally, I have a hard time doing that in a repeatable fashion. While the Flex Bipod will shoot quite well with such a hold, what it was intended for was those of us who like to 'lean' into the gun a bit. Quite literally, the idea is that you get the feet to dig in slightly, and push against the rifle butt with your shoulder and the bipod will 'flex' or bow forward slightly. It is one of those things that sounds wonky until you try it... and it may take a few times to get a feel for it... but once you do, it is surprisingly repeatable.

The system does have a few quirks to it... personally I'd rather the rail attachment used another ratchet lever like the pivot control rather than requiring a separate tool to take it on/off the gun. Also... these bipods seem to work better mounted somewhat further back than other designs, and some experimenting may be necessary to find what works best for you. Then again, we all need more trigger time... wink

Please see the linked PDF below for a computer drawing of the bipod, along with brief instructions and Dan's email address if you're interested.

Flex Bipod PDF

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I haven't actively tried to destructively test it (generally, I don't have to; it just 'happens' - one of my talents smile

Ya, I was a few targets away from you on your left sitting next to my cart watching the mirage through my spotting scope trying to figure it out. Next thing I hear is someone moan and watch him go crashing down. Took a moment to realize your rifle was LZ ALPHA. You handled it a lot better than I think I would have...

Thanks for the heads up on the new bipod Monte!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where would one get one of these and how much do they cost??

Never mind, found the email in the link

How does it attach to the rifle?

Last edited by avagadro; 02/06/13.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
See that tee-shaped block on top? Fits inside a fore-end rail slot.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
You handled it a lot better than I think I would have...

Too many witnesses for anything else. Although the way that match was going, it was about a fitting end for the week.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I never knew they have monsoon season in Wisconsin... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a monsoon season really. Just rains very hard now and then.

GOA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

288 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 43 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,438
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.