Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I've got a lower and am wanting to put an accurate varmint/target type upper on it. I can buy or build. (though I've never built before) some pretty nicely spec'd uppers can be had for $630 or less. For instance White Oak offers their 20" 1-7 twist complete with BCG for $595.

How much can one really save on an upper build that you'd genuinely expect to shoot with that WOA upper and it's peers?

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rough estimates.

Krieger DCM barrel $450
Float tube $100
BCG & handle $150
Upper receiver $70
Flash suppressor and washer $7.50
Gas tube & block $50

Tools & fixture $50-$75
Plus shipping

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TC1
Rough estimates.

Krieger DCM barrel $450
Float tube $100
BCG & handle $150
Upper receiver $70
Flash suppressor and washer $7.50
Gas tube & block $50

Tools & fixture $50-$75
Plus shipping

While I imagine such a thing would shoot like crazy would it be worth the difference ($200+) over the $600 WOA upper? (I'm not really planning on no-BS target competitions, just the genuine expectation of .75'ish and maybe some solid runs at .5 with some degree of regularity with good ammo)

I'm bumping into trees a bit with AR accuracy as this will only be my 2nd and my 1st is of the M4/CQB type.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I dont know of any way to beat WOA uppers for the money.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With either product you pay your money and take a chances. John will build you one with a krieger barrel too. Just not for 600 dollars. ;^)

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are going already built the White Oak is the best for the money .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TC1
With either product you pay your money and take a chances. John will build you one with a krieger barrel too. Just not for 600 dollars. ;^)

True, though in looking elsewhere on their site they have their no-BS Match Upper complete for $672. That is with a 26" barrel though which isn't really what I looking for and what "sounds" like a chamber that might be cut a bit tight for 5.56 ammo.

Actually, to that last part, does anyone know what WOA's "Varmint" chamber means? From the description it sounds like it's made to accept longer bullets but I'm not certain about 5.56 compatibility like the Wylde.

I guess the biggest question is, with money as a factor, is it just as viable an option to drop $600 or so on a ready-to-rock upper as it is to go to the trouble to shop around and build one where the expectation in performance would be similar?

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bea175
If you are going already built the White Oak is the best for the money .

I'd heard that enough to basically start there. (though I've caught a couple nice looking uppers on places like Gunbroker)

I'm patient enough to go the build route but if somebody like WOA can ship me something that would be expected to shoot as well as what I could build for the same (or close) money about the only advantage to the build would be in the "I built it" part. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As has been pointed out, the difference is in the barrel quality. While the Wilson barrels used in WOA's builds are fine, they are not going to be as good as a Krieger.

Question is whether or not one is capable of shooting well enough to see the difference. (And I'm not trying to be smart here)

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You aren't going to save a bunch of cash building it yourself. The biggest reason to build it is so you get exactly what you want.

John over at WOA builds a great upper. My experience with the one I bought was a good one. It wasn't the most accurate upper I've ever owned but it was a good one.

Terry

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Noveske (SS), Larue (stealth), or BCM (SS410 barrel), ect

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HAR! The last BCM I owned was a 2" rifle at 100yds! The really bad part is they don't back up thier products. I wouldn't spend a nickel over at that place.

Terry

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
another plus on WOA is that John headspaces the bolt to the barrel - mine shot .45MOA right out of the box with the first handload I tried (60gr Sierra Varminter, 23.7gr RL15)

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
While I find myself leaning a bit toward WOA let's say I wanted to go shopping for a build. What would give me the most for the least? What barrel would (IYO) have the best ratio of expected accuracy for the dollar invested? Receiver for the money? Float tube/etc?

Forgive the questions but this is my first foray into this particular jungle.

Oh, and I appreciate everyone's input.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Wilson as far as the barrel for me (I know its not top "tier") 1 in my WOA and the other one in my Rock River Predator pursuit. Both shoot under half minute...maybe better, but thats what I have achieved.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The most accurate AR barrels I've used so far are Satern and Krieger. Rainer Arms has a few Sabre Defence "varmint" barrels left for $325. They are SS and fluted. While I don't need one I've been very tempted to buy one and just stick it back in the safe. SD makes a VERY accurate barrel and once they're gone they're gone forever.

I'm sure there are a lot more but those are the best ones I've tried.

WOA has one that is very appealing to me. Thier Squad Designated Marksman barrel. Basicly a HBAR barrel with 12 deep flutes. It's 20" and weighs about the same as an SPR 18" barrel. I would love to have an upper running that barrel.

Terry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.