Print Thread
Hop To
A
ajHilgy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I recently purchased a DPMS Oracle. The gas block has a Pic rail on top but no provisions for attaching a sling. Do I need to change the gas block or can it be modified for something like an Uncle Mike's sling stud? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would change it out for a cut-down GI gas block and put a Troy TRX rail on it. You put anything on that gas block rail you'd better weld it in place if'n you want it to stay.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the better solutions I've been able to think up for this is getting a Magpul MOE hand guard and adding a couple small pieces of rail to it. This way, you can mount any kind of sling attachment point you want, anywhere you want. Also it has the added benefit of being able to add a light or hand stop if you want. The parts are relatively cheap.

You didn't mention of this is the 5.56 model or a .308. I'm not sure, but I've heard that the .308 model needs specific hand guards made for it. Not sure though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, and if I were going to change out the gas block, I'd switch it out for a standard FSB, and then add the items I mentioned above.

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought that rifle and wondered the exact same thing. Thanks for the info fellas, its my first AR style gun and I'm not up to speed on it yet.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you want to keep it on the cheap side, this
http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Blue-Force-Gear%C2%AE-Universal-Wire-Loop%E2%84%A2.html
works pretty well except that it can twist. They make short ones and longer ones. A long one around the delta ring works good with a VCAS 2 point type sling.

No way would I fasten anything to any gas block/front sight base that was not pinned.

Last edited by TWR; 05/13/12.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blue Force Gear is a great company. And I've heard some decent reviews of that product. The same reviews mention it's shortcomings as well. As mentioned, they can get twisted and bind. Although I haven't seen it documented one way or the other, I'd be leery of it's durability. It probably is the cheapest solution other than going to a single point sling (which I wouldn't have as the only option).

I maintain the best solution is to change your gas block. I'd go with the standard FSB and new hand guards of a type that can accept a sling attachment. Either MOE or some railed hand guard like the Daniel Defense Omega.

If you really want to have a railed gas block, at least get one pinned on. It'll cost you a bit of money for any of these solutions, but I really think you'll be happier in the long run.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've run 2 of the BFG's sling things and honestly the twisting is not that big of a concern.

Being as it's a dpms oracle, I doubt the OP is gonna run it in a serious enviorment anyway. The man just needs to hang a carry strap and the sling thing works.

A
ajHilgy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I just received my June issue of Shooting Illustrated. There is an article on the Windham Weaponry SRC which has a railed gas block with sling "ring" and appears to be pinned as well. It is the kind of thing I am looking for. It has a bayonet lug too but that I don't care about.
(It is 5.56/.223.)

Last edited by ajHilgy; 05/14/12.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.