Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have an AR with a A2 front hand guard. I got an upper with a low profile gas tube stop so I can eventually put on a free float rail.
I was shooting it the other day trying to sight in my scope. (shooting from a table with sandbags) I was also sighting in my Mini 14 and noticed it was more consistent and accurate. groupings were much tighter.
i have read that the front end not being free float can make a difference.
My question is how much does it affect the accuracy/consistency?
I don't have the best scope on it. I am planing on replacing the scope and getting a FF rail.. which one do I do first?
thanks for the help,

ARIC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just converted my RRA upper which had a gas block FSB and standard handguard over to a midwest industries free float. I didn't notice a difference in accuracy. now granted I didn't shoot the gun configured the old way that much. I think it would make the gun more consistent and keep POI from wondering. does that mean more accuracy, maybe at least to the extent your POI is wondering because of it. I highly recommend a midwest gen 2 ss rail, they are so clean and light. infact someone right here mentioned them one time and I checked it out. they are the best FF tube I can find for the money, so whomever that was thanks. it really cleans up the gun and looks great.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 11/20/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What a FF tube will do is make it more consistent from varied positions, IE, prone, barricade, kneeling etc.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jarhead88
I have an AR with a A2 front hand guard. I got an upper with a low profile gas tube stop so I can eventually put on a free float rail.
I was shooting it the other day trying to sight in my scope. (shooting from a table with sandbags) I was also sighting in my Mini 14 and noticed it was more consistent and accurate. groupings were much tighter.
i have read that the front end not being free float can make a difference.
My question is how much does it affect the accuracy/consistency?
I don't have the best scope on it. I am planing on replacing the scope and getting a FF rail.. which one do I do first?
thanks for the help,

What ammunition are you shooting 55 grain XM193 not the best to figure out accuracy with if that is what your using. Then if your mini 14 is producing tighter groups than your AR 15 then your AR or AR scope has serious problems. My pencil barrel Colt 6720 with standard plastic forearm and with its factory cheap chrome lined colt barrel will shoot 1/2 groups at 100 yards with Sierra 65 grain game kings over Varget from a good bench rest.

The worst AR out there with a reasonable barrel on it will out shoot most any box stock mini 14.

Replace your scope first and then try some factory loaded 77 grain matchkings.

If your groups don't get better than the mini 14 its likely a bad barrel on the AR so replace that before its a free float tube job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definately put a decent scope on it first. A chrome lined barrel and standard handguard should be capable of 1 1/2 moa with most ammo, should be around moa with favored ammo.

Honestly unless you have a match grade barrel I doubt you'll see an accuracy increase with a ff tube.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Put the front rest on the bench, as close to the mag well as you can. YOu'll see how accurate your barrel is then. Expect no better than that by simply putting a float tube on the gun.

But the tube will negate sling tension etc... effects as you keep shooting.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
ok, I will go with getting a decent scope first.. it isn't the best so that is where i will focus..
my Mini 14 does have a better scope,
thanks all

any sugguestions for a good scope under $250? I know it's not a lot but it's what i can spend for now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cruise cabelas and bass pro, Elite 3200 & 4200's can often be had for less than that.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The elite 3200 10x is an ok skope. The only problem I had was that mine couldn't be focussed to provide a crisp image inside 50 yds. Wasn't a big issue on the AR but drove me nuts on my 10-22. I think they run around $175 on sale.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still impressed with my Burris FF2. It ain't amazing, but it's done me very good and is well within your price range.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just an example. Tons of scopes to peruse. I do like this one though.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-1-Riflescope-P51827.aspx

I've used this website many times. Great prices and great customer service.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the way, are you positive it's your scope? Borrow a known good scope and check. There's a few more common reasons for loose groups.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jarhead88
ok, I will go with getting a decent scope first.. it isn't the best so that is where i will focus..
my Mini 14 does have a better scope,
thanks all

any sugguestions for a good scope under $250? I know it's not a lot but it's what i can spend for now.

Burris is a good choice for new or maybe buy a used 2-7 Leupold.

What kind of scope mount are you using? Post a picture of your current set up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
390 members (300jimmy, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.