Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Over on the Ruger Forum collectors site, a guy has a #1B in 30-06 made in 1976 with salt wood characteristics that are the same as my .300 #1S of the same vintage. He has not yet chenically tested it for salt in the wood and thus has not gotten the ssame answer I did -- salt.

Some guys there are also speculating about dye salts from the bluing oeration.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 01/13/11.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a freind with serveral of those vintage guns,along with many "employee" guns,I've never heard him mention this? I'll drop him a note,as he has/had many contacts at Ruger over the years.I don't think it is something they would admit to openly to the public.Browning had no choice....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not to change course on this topic but.... I have heard of the "salt wood" topic come up and never paid much attention to it. What exactly is this about? How and why would anyone expose any wood to salt let alone wood that is to be used on a firearm?

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Back in 70s they tried to speed up the natural aging/drying process for wood by stacking it in salt. Water just ran off the stacks of wood.

It was cheaper but in the end lethal to metal in any contact with the wood so treated.

1B

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have never heard of it on any Rugers. A select vintage of Brownings yes, but no others.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Browning had a real problem with that.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On the Ruger forum.com, there is a guy who also has a #1 of the same vintage as mine. He found excessive rust in wood/metal conatc areas; got some of the silver nitrate test medium; and found the wood on his #1 also contained salt.

He contacted Ruger before the test and they denied ever having a problem with salt wood.

1B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My "collector bud" confirmed he has seen some with this problem and has seen two with pitted metal..Ruger never/will confirmed it,so they would NOT have to replace guns like Browning did.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
What year or range of serial number would these be in?Thanks.

Glenn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was told..1976,give or take a year,depending when the action really got "wooded up"...

Come on America,

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I do not believe this to be true.Lets see some real proof besides my Uncles,buddies sister says so.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Huntz,

Sounds like you discount all the growing evidence including the similar patterns of rusted metal and two known reactions to the silver nitrate test that establish that there is salt in the wood of some Ruger stocks from 1976.

I guess the only thing that would convince you would be an admission from Ruger. Since that is not going to happen, you need to exapnd a little on what you would consider "real proof".

My silver nitrate test prodcued an identical reaction in Browning Safari Grade with salt wood. That is hard to dismiss out of hand.

1B

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Interesting because I believe the Browning Safaris were made in Belgium

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dobetown
Interesting because I believe the Browning Safaris were made in Belgium

That would be right.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1B
Huntz,

Sounds like you discount all the growing evidence including the similar patterns of rusted metal and two known reactions to the silver nitrate test that establish that there is salt in the wood of some Ruger stocks from 1976.

I guess the only thing that would convince you would be an admission from Ruger. Since that is not going to happen, you need to exapnd a little on what you would consider "real proof".

My silver nitrate test prodcued an identical reaction in Browning Safari Grade with salt wood. That is hard to dismiss out of hand.

1B

I am sure salt could get into wood in ways other than used for curing it. I would bet any wood cut along any Interstate Hwy would have salt in it.I am sure that they get it from the ground naturally as that is what causes figure in the grain(Mineral Streaks)
Browning only had a hidden warranty on salt wood stocks.They would not replace them unless you brought it to theirattention.
I am sure you could find salt in stocks from any manufacturer.Does that mean they are salt curing them????Well I guess you would think so.I think you need to rethink what you are saying and come up with some real facts other than trying to Stir the pot!!!!

Last edited by Huntz; 01/29/11.

1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Then why does the silver nitrate not react on my other #1 stocks? Or even on the foreend of the same rifle?

I have 30+ #1s -- including several other rifles that have the 200th anniversary marker --and none of these have the rust that this 1S has,.

Do you actually know of cases that establish your theory? Or are you just reaching?

You have still not said wht proof you need. Is there any conceivable that would do the job?

1B

Last edited by 1B; 01/29/11.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1B
Then why does the silver nitrate not react on my other #1 stocks? Or even on the foreend of the same rifle?

I have 30+ #1s -- including several other rifles that have the 200th anniversary marker --and none of these have the rust that this 1S has,.

Do you actually know of cases that establish your theory? Or are you just reaching?

You have still not said wht proof you need. Is there any conceivable that would do the job?

1B

You know if there were a multitude of complaints,I might think there is something to it.Now you are saying one out of thirty that you own.I am not buying it. Browning did all thier stocks from about 67 to 72 and if you had one from that time period it is going to rust.Thats rifles, T-bolts,A5`s You are saying that Ruger is just salt curing some of their stocks?????Maybe they have the ass for you.Wanna buy a tinfoil hat ???? crazy

1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I somehow knew trhat you go low class ratehr than answer the question. You blusterers are all the same. Lip aand bullshit.

1B

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1B
I somehow knew trhat you go low class ratehr than answer the question. You blusterers are all the same. Lip aand bullshit.

1B

Well then we have something in common!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The truth is that YOU made the statement with nothing more to back it up than YOU made a test on the Rifles wood.That means nothing!!!! I don't have anything to back up.The burden of proof is on YOU period!!!!Come up with something from another source.I don't think YOU could find your ass with two hands and a flashlight!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.