Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I did, five or six years ago. A perfect 'through the heart' shot. If you look at the faceplate, you'll see the hole above the word 'Chrony'. It was dead and it didn't even fall over. The bullet took both photo sensors out. I got a replacement housing and sensors from Mississauga, ON.

[Linked Image]

Has this ever happened to you?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My first reaction was I couldn't figure out how to load it into the chamber - but seeing your picture I now seem somber.

I've got a 35p, but haven't hit the screens yet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
laugh I'll add to the first post to make it easier to spot the hole.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think your shooting low. :-). I've never used one myself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I did.

I don't recall the brand but it was a pos. Who knew that a .35 Whelen was capable of 3500 fps - twice - in a row. And lots of error messages.

Numerous times, when it was acting up, I would have the cross-hairs on it. But I couldn't do the deed.

So one day I was shooting through it with a bore-sighted .30-06. At the shot during recoil I saw the tri-pod legs flip up in the scope.

I had hit the face of the thing and got a nice through and through. It was dead when it hit the ground.

The sub-conscious is a powerful thing.

I was elated.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, any good recipes for them? Do they taste like chicken?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yea, with a muzzleloader. You have to have the chrono either in "tight" before sabot seperation or far enough away that there is complete seperation with the sabot veering off and not crossing the screens.

I was guessing and not well about fifteen years ago; had the chrony at about 15 feet with the sabot taking out the front of the chrony.

Chrony makes, or did, a clear, thick plexi-glass covering that hangs over the front face of the Chrony to cut down on sabot penetration. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot the skyscreen arm on my PACT... They make a replacement pack of 4 for $15. Apparently i am not the first to do it...

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Thanks for the fun reading Steve, I hope this finds you well and you're staying warm enough this weekend.

I've got one of the first Chrony models to become available in the Okanagan - a gift from my wonderful wife actually. In retrospect it was a real sharp dose of reality for me - as I had so many wonderful theories and firm beliefs about muzzle velocity until the "truth teller" was put in front of the barrels. frown laugh

Anyway Steve, they have the paper holder for the white plastic light diffuser panels and one fine day I most certainly did manage to put a home cast 158gr Semi Wadcutter into one of those.

The paper holders are so chewed up that I've taped them back together several times now.

Oh, something came out and bit the readout screen once too enough to put a small hole in it, but it still works. I've put a �" chunk of Lexan in front of it now to at least slow down whatever small chunks might spew forth - but have no illusion that it will stop a 200gr. Partition out of a .308 Norma or something similar.

Thanks for the chuckle tonight on this thread Steve and all the best to you this year.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
They're getting fancy with the chronographs now. One newly released model does away with the problem of wads, plugs or gas checks hitting anything. It attaches directly to the barrel.

[Linked Image]

http://www.magnetospeed.com

I don't know how good it is, but it may eliminate many of the problems associated with chrono setup and use.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That looks pretty interesting. I find setting up the Chrony to keep from killing it a drag. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Yea, with a muzzleloader. You have to have the chrono either in "tight" before sabot seperation or far enough away that there is complete seperation with the sabot veering off and not crossing the screens.

I was guessing and not well about fifteen years ago; had the chrony at about 15 feet with the sabot taking out the front of the chrony.

Chrony makes, or did, a clear, thick plexi-glass covering that hangs over the front face of the Chrony to cut down on sabot penetration. grin

I've mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating. We had finished chronographing rifle loads and decided to make sure that the slug guns were sighted in.
We set the chronograph off to the side at its normal 15 feet from the muzzle. At one shot, the outfit flipped over. One of the sabots had hit a rod with enough force to flip the unit and tripod over and bend the rod.
This certainly illustrates the need to not shoot past someone who is to your front and side.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My wife creased the housing for the sensor on shot #1, and it didn't ruin the chronograph, and I even told her to hold a few inches higher. The second shot finished it. It is an old chronograph, but I was able to get a new housing. I should have bought the three they had left in stock. blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Shot my chronograph? Is the Pope Catholic? Do chickens have lips?

I can't fault the penetration of the 9.3x57 round, though.

[Linked Image]

However, I refuse to divulge the intimate details of how it met its demise. A fella has to have some secrets.

:)Stuart

Last edited by Stuart; 01/15/13.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nicked the rod,luckly they are 5/32,so stainless steel welding rod worked fine when cleaned. I had the company order another box just in case.The brass couplings are standard tubing too.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stuart
Shot my chronograph? Is the Pope Catholic? Do chickens have lips?

I can't fault the penetration of the 9.3x57 round, though.

[Linked Image]

However, I refuse to divulge the intimate details of how it met its demise. A fella has to have some secrets.

:)Stuart

Yea, if you are going to kill your Chrony, may as well have complete penetration with an exit. cry grin

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Yea, if you are going to kill your Chrony, may as well have complete penetration with an exit. cry grin

True. It bled out pretty quickly- there were digits everywhere. I'd have no fear going up against any chronograph on earth, even the mightiest Oehler, with the 9.3x57.

smile Stuart

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not yet but I suspect it is only a matter of time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I shot the metal shade support once on my Chrony. Didn't even hit the Chrony itself, but it still didn't work afterwards.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've never done that. I set mine up at 12' and looking through it with the scope, the target set's several inches above it. I know a lot of guy's have shot their's but I can't figure out how they do it. That makes an awfully big target to shoot through at 12'!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.