Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...indians-fall-under-ottawas-jurisdiction/

OTTAWA � The Federal Court has ruled M�tis and non-status Indians are indeed �Indians� under a section of the Constitution Act, and fall under federal jurisdiction.

The decision helps to clarify the relationship between Ottawa and the more than 600,000 aboriginal people who live off-reserve.

While the decision does not go so far as to declare that the federal government has a fiduciary responsibility to the group, it says such duties would flow automatically now that their standing has been clarified.

The Congress of Aboriginal Peoples and several Metis and non-status Indians took the federal government to court in 1999 alleging discrimination because they are not considered �Indians� under a section of the Constitution Act.

Interesting......

BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I bet there will be a lot of Canadian's exploring their family tree. What a great victory for the Metis in Canada. Non-natives really are second class citizens now. I hope this does not have a negative impact on fish and game and taxation rates for non-natives like myself.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
This is one more nail in the coffin of self-described aboriginal peoples in Canada......EXACTLY as intended.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rene
I bet there will be a lot of Canadian's exploring their family tree. What a great victory for the Metis in Canada. Non-natives really are second class citizens now. I hope this does not have a negative impact on fish and game and taxation rates for non-natives like myself.

It's not just the Metis, it's also for all those individuals that lost status because their families assimilated...under C-31 the descendants of females have always been given the short sheet treatment.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can we take this to mean there are likely to be another 600,000 people added to those living off the government teat?

We have I don't know how many aboriginals living on reserves in areas where they cannot sustain themselves without massive injections of government money (read my money). As long as they are allowed to live in these areas their conditions are unlikely to improve since there are no work opportunities that would allow them to support themselves.

To top things off there are aboriginal groups interfering with thousands of people by demonstrating in road and rail blockages. In my opinion when they interfere with public rights of way etc. the police should be going in and warning them to move or be arrested for disturbing the peace. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any political party willing to tackle them and bring their disruptions to a halt.

Probably Canuckshooter will consider me racist for having these opinions. So be it. At this time in history we can no longer afford to maintain an existing and growing welfare class.

Jim

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Can we take this to mean there are likely to be another 600,000 people added to those living off the government teat?

We have I don't know how many aboriginals living on reserves in areas where they cannot sustain themselves without massive injections of government money (read my money). As long as they are allowed to live in these areas their conditions are unlikely to improve since there are no work opportunities that would allow them to support themselves.

To top things off there are aboriginal groups interfering with thousands of people by demonstrating in road and rail blockages. In my opinion when they interfere with public rights of way etc. the police should be going in and warning them to move or be arrested for disturbing the peace. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any political party willing to tackle them and bring their disruptions to a halt.

Probably Canuckshooter will consider me racist for having these opinions. So be it. At this time in history we can no longer afford to maintain an existing and growing welfare class.

Jim

Well you do make me wonder why you think this ruling will automatically add 600,000 people living off the government teat??? Really if that isn't a racist knee jerk reaction what is?? Do you think Im suddenly going to quit my six figure job that I've held for over 35 years to live on friggin' welfare??

Contrary to what you obviously believe many of us do have some personal pride. ;-)

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
In my 50+ years of active adult life with experience of aboriginal peoples ( I am of Nordic blood, born into an almost 400 year old Canadian family and am as"native" as ANY "indian") VERY FEW of them have any attitudes except "gimmee" and the most vicious racism I have ever witnessed.

No,that is NOT the "PC" view, but, it is what I have seen in the NWT, Yukon, BC and Alberta.

Time to disavow the "Trudeau" Constitution, cancel ALL "treaties, suspend ALL immigration for a decade and go "republic"....ONE LAW for ALL Canadians!!!!!

Fuggem, I hate lawyers and courts,they are all corrupt moneygrubbers and phoney windbags!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canuckshooter,
I am interested in what your opinion is for the future prospects of those aboriginals living in remote areas where no work exists and is not likely to be created in the future. Why is it not a realistic expectation that they should attempt to enter the mainstream of modern society?

I realize and accept that there will always be a segment of society who will be unemployable. My perception is that as long as large numbers of persons live in remote areas where little or no work exists their conditions in life are unlikely to change.

I do not consider myself to be smart enough to come up with the answer and doubt any government will, in my lifetime, make any serious attempt to resolve the problem. This is the situation that drives my frustration.

Jim

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cut the money off and the northern reserves will cease to exist. Some will starve and some will move to where they can support themselves.
Its a shame you guys didnt have someone like Phil Sheridan...

Last edited by BWalker; 01/08/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim - generally what happens is that some company will do exploraton and find a resource to exploit For example, deBeers' diamond mine near Attawapiskat. The natives then complain and set up blockades to extort money out of the company.

In November 2005 after three years of negotiation, a comprehensive Impact Benefit Agreement (IBA) was reached between De Beers Canada and Attawapiskat First Nation. That agreement includes specific compensation and protocols to ensure Attawapiskat First Nation is the primary beneficiary of benefits available during the construction, operation and closure of the Victor Mine. Compensation includes items such as training, employment, business opportunities and direct financial compensation.

The company then dumps huge amounts of money, training and opportunities into the natives' laps:
Since the start of construction (2005), over $325 million in contracts have been awarded to solely owned or joint venture companies run by the community.

Just this year alone (2011), contracts awarded to the community total $51 million. Earlier in this note I referred to the training facility we are operating in the community.

And then the companies give even more:
In fact, this was the second training facility that we constructed and donated to the community at a combined cost of almost $2 million. The community runs the other facility. Every year for more than five years, we have been purchasing and delivering new books to every child in the community from kindergarten to Grade 12 as part of a program to grow literacy and education levels in the community.

We also have in place a scholarship program. In support of the efforts for a new school, we donated project trailers, helped the community review a design proposal and offered our project management expertise.

And they give even more:
In 2009, a sewage backup in Attawapiskat displaced nearly 100 people. Although we had only been in operation for one year, we flew crews and project managers into the community at our expense to reconfigure previously donated multi-unit trailers into emergency housing for those displaced by the situation. These trailers are the same type still being used today by a number of our own employees at our mine, which is also fly-in/fly-out.

Working with the community over a period of a couple of weeks, we were able to complete that project just before the first snow. The value of the trailers combined with the costs to deliver them to the community, redesign and install them totaled more than $3 million � a cost covered by De Beers Canada.In 2009/2010, De Beers Canada funded consultant work on behalf of Attawapiskat First Nation so the community could undertake a comprehensive study into their housing situation.

In addition to those hundreds of millions, the Federal government has given Attawapiskat $104 Million since 2006.
Does that answer your question about the prospects of those aboriginals living in remote areas where no work exists?

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by BWalker
Cut the money off and the northern reserves will cease to exist. Some will starve and some will move to where they can support themselves.
Its a shame you guys didnt have someone like Phil Sheridan...

smile smile smile !!!!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Arac
Jim - generally what happens is that some company will do exploraton and find a resource to exploit For example, deBeers' diamond mine near Attawapiskat. The natives then complain and set up blockades to extort money out of the company.

In November 2005 after three years of negotiation, a comprehensive Impact Benefit Agreement (IBA) was reached between De Beers Canada and Attawapiskat First Nation. That agreement includes specific compensation and protocols to ensure Attawapiskat First Nation is the primary beneficiary of benefits available during the construction, operation and closure of the Victor Mine. Compensation includes items such as training, employment, business opportunities and direct financial compensation.

The company then dumps huge amounts of money, training and opportunities into the natives' laps:
Since the start of construction (2005), over $325 million in contracts have been awarded to solely owned or joint venture companies run by the community.

Just this year alone (2011), contracts awarded to the community total $51 million. Earlier in this note I referred to the training facility we are operating in the community.

And then the companies give even more:
In fact, this was the second training facility that we constructed and donated to the community at a combined cost of almost $2 million. The community runs the other facility. Every year for more than five years, we have been purchasing and delivering new books to every child in the community from kindergarten to Grade 12 as part of a program to grow literacy and education levels in the community.

We also have in place a scholarship program. In support of the efforts for a new school, we donated project trailers, helped the community review a design proposal and offered our project management expertise.

And they give even more:
In 2009, a sewage backup in Attawapiskat displaced nearly 100 people. Although we had only been in operation for one year, we flew crews and project managers into the community at our expense to reconfigure previously donated multi-unit trailers into emergency housing for those displaced by the situation. These trailers are the same type still being used today by a number of our own employees at our mine, which is also fly-in/fly-out.

Working with the community over a period of a couple of weeks, we were able to complete that project just before the first snow. The value of the trailers combined with the costs to deliver them to the community, redesign and install them totaled more than $3 million � a cost covered by De Beers Canada.In 2009/2010, De Beers Canada funded consultant work on behalf of Attawapiskat First Nation so the community could undertake a comprehensive study into their housing situation.

In addition to those hundreds of millions, the Federal government has given Attawapiskat $104 Million since 2006.
Does that answer your question about the prospects of those aboriginals living in remote areas where no work exists?

Holy cow, Spence has been making out like a bandit!! Debeers must be making a lot of money on the resources being extracted from their lands. I guess that's the cost of doing business?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Canuckshooter,
I am interested in what your opinion is for the future prospects of those aboriginals living in remote areas where no work exists and is not likely to be created in the future. Why is it not a realistic expectation that they should attempt to enter the mainstream of modern society?

I realize and accept that there will always be a segment of society who will be unemployable. My perception is that as long as large numbers of persons live in remote areas where little or no work exists their conditions in life are unlikely to change.

I do not consider myself to be smart enough to come up with the answer and doubt any government will, in my lifetime, make any serious attempt to resolve the problem. This is the situation that drives my frustration.

Jim

I don't see many prospects for those staying in those remote communities, about the only hope is that the younger generations attain some education and leave for greener pastures. I believe if you look into it there are significant numbers of aboriginals leaving the reserves and moving to urban centers. Many fail to make it and end up in the system anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kutenay
Time to disavow the "Trudeau" Constitution, cancel ALL "treaties, suspend ALL immigration for a decade and go "republic"....ONE LAW for ALL Canadians!!!!!

Kutenay for Prime Minister!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by kutenay

Kutenay for Prime Minister!

How? He doesn't speak both official languages....;-)

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Of course, that's exaxctly what it means. Why else would they want recognition, so they can wear "Native Pride" hats?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boarguy

Of course, that's exaxctly what it means. Why else would they want recognition, so they can wear "Native Pride" hats?

One reason is so they (non status) regain voting rights in their bands....youR just showing your ignorance with your flippant comments. ;-)

Last edited by CanuckShooter; 01/08/13.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter

One reason is so they (non status) regain voting rights in their bands....youR just showing your ignorance with your flippant comments. ;-)

Yeah right, like they care who gets elected chief of a reserve they don't live in. Maybe I could get voting rights for the next mayoral election in Toronto? I used to live there after all.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
When is all of the BS going to end? Voting rights within their bands? .... Yeah right. Tax exemption and hunting and fishing whenever wherever are the main reasons for this. It's never enough for them.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=CanuckShooter][quote=boarguy

Yeah right, like they care who gets elected chief of a reserve they don't live in. Maybe I could get voting rights for the next mayoral election in Toronto? I used to live there after all.

See how dumb your being....my band doesn't have a treaty signed yet, I will now have a say and vote when the time comes. Your a racist ass. :-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (308xray, 300_savage, 50vmaxshooter, 32_20fan, 280shooter, 35WhelenNut, 12 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,875
Posts18,403,423
Members73,824
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.