Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wonderin� about Huntin� Licences
Copyright 2014 - Cletus Tenderloin

Okay, this has bothered me for years, but I never asked no government fellas because I don�t want them nosin� into my affairs. How come we have to buy huntin� licences?

I asked my neighbors, but none of them could answer me. I even talked to Old Man Fike at church last weekend. He used to work for the county and knows a lot. He told me it was because that�s what governments do. Part of their job is to charge fees, tax folks, then spend it. He said everybody has to pitch in and help pay for their services.

But you know what? Them fees they collect for huntin' licences is only used by the fish and game department. Yeah, I know what you�re thinkin�, but that�s what he said! Every penny is spent on wildlife projects. It don�t get divvied up with any other branches like roads and highways, schools or welfare.

I guess that�s good, but I don�t know if I should believe him.

Grampa used to say that governments spend money just for the sake of spendin� it. And believe it or not, some governments is actually corrupt! If that�s true, then maybe they�re spendin� our money the wrong way. Furthermore, him and daddy told me that the government watches folks that own guns. Apparently, politicians is skittish about common folk havin� the means to look after themselves. I guess they don�t remember nothin� about the Brits, kings and taxation. They�re too busy nosin� around in everybody�s business - just like our Miss Getty, spinster, churchgoer, and local busybody. I hope I don�t go to hell for sayin� that.

On TV, I heard a government fellow say they give out money to pay for food plots, conservation projects and other wildlife stuff. That�s interestin�, but they never gave out no money around here! I wonder if anyone ever checks on the government the way they�re always checkin� on us?

The last thing he said was that they make laws to protect people and animals. I sort of understand why they want to do that, but how are they protectin� wild animals exactly? That got me wonderin� some more.

I�ve been farmin� my whole life. I got this place from my daddy, and he got it from Grampa. I work 180 acres, and grow corn, soy beans and other things, dependin� on prices. Most years, at least part of that is fallow, to give the land a chance to recharge itself.

I also got about five acres of apple trees that is picked and sold at market. The deer eat off of my fields too, and bed down by a cedar swamp at the north east corner of the property.

Here�s the thing. The government says that I don�t need to pay for a huntin� licence, if I'm huntin� on my own property. But, if I invite my neighbor over, since he don�t live here, he has to buy one. Why? I mean, I�m the one payin� for everything. I purchase all the seed, fertilizer and equipment. And I�m payin� taxes too. If anyone should be chargin� folks for the privilege of huntin� at my place, shouldn�t it be me? After all, I�m footin� the bill!

I could understand them askin� for money if they was sendin� me a check to cover the expenses, but I never got nothin� from the government for to help with the wild animals that live here.

I seen game wardens drivin� around, but they ain�t allowed onto my property without askin�. I guess that don�t matter much because they ain�t never been here (unless they was trespassin�). They never stopped by with any feed, helped out with my food plots, cultivated, donated money or anything like that. It�s always been me what paid for and done everything. So why does my neighbor Nelford have to pay the government for a licence?

And what about them animals? They don�t care about property lines, the government or where their food comes from. They don�t get taxed or anything, so I fully expect you gotta eat the odd one, just to get some of your investment back.

It�s all so wrong. Damn governments�

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Spot on Steve.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smile

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.