Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I've been running Quickload for a short time now.

Has anyone run tests with the ambient temperature function to match Quickload's expected velocities to actual ambient chrono measurements?

I don't know if earlier versions of QL had the function--but it's on 3.6. The earlier versions may have it. However, I called Ramshot powders yesterday and the tech I talked to hadn't noticed the temp function until I pointed it out to him.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure I've noticed it either. Where is it located?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Azar
I'm not sure I've noticed it either. Where is it located?

+1

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Click on the little button that looks like a hand holding a pen or a brush, to the left of your powder selection. When you select this "button", another will appear above the "apply and calculate" button. This button will have a "T" on it, and will allow you to vary the temperature from the default 70� setting.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I don't have Quickload in front of me here at work, so you'll have to bear with my general instructions.

First, locate the powder container, the upper right of the four containers in the main screen.

To the left of the pull-down menu where one selects a powder there's a button. Selecting the button allows one to change powder parameters such as burn rate factor (Ba), etc. Select the button.

Near the bottom of the container, after selecting the above mentioned button, a new button with a thermometer appears near the left side of the container. Select the thermometer button. The default temperature is 70. Change the temperature to whatever you like and hit "recalculate". Now compare your previous velocity, pressure, and barrel time. If you selected a lower temperature, velocity and pressure are lower, and barrel time is slower. If you selected a higher temperature, velocity and pressure are higher, and barrel time is faster.

Does your Quickload have that feature?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I built my loads for this weekend's shooting to match optimal barrel times at 80 degrees (already a bit warm here in Louisiana). I had to back my loads down by about 0.3 grains from the default 70 degree setting, or at least that's what Quickload suggested.

Also, when you change temperature, the burn rate factor changes automatically. If you've altered your burn rate factor to match your powder, only alter it at 70 degrees. Quickload will then change off the 70 degree setting when you change temps.

I'll hopefully notice some different results this weekend. My best 5-shot Partition group last weekend was 0.945 inches, and my worst was 1.142 inches. But according to Quickload the velocities were a touch too fast (2750 fps and 2760 fps, respectively), as QL tells me I'll see optimal barrel times with 180 grainers and Ramshot Hunter at 2730 fps. The optimal barrel time I'm attempting to match is 1.228 milliseconds.

Edit: Also, the 1.142 inch group that resulted in avg 2760 velocity was shot about an hour after the first group. Being an hour later, it was probably 5 or so degrees warmer, and I believe resulted in the higher velocities. Larger group size also is a definite potential, but the sample size is definitely too small to say.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 05/02/12.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've messed with the temp function on my install (v.3.4), and I only found it moderately helpful, and really only with 'old-line' IMR powders. Not so much with the Thales/Hodgy Extreme powders, and definitely not with Winchester Ball powders.

The instructions actually say it works (or was designed/intended?) for the old-line IMR powders, IIRC.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks all.

So, an update on this. If you're trying to match optimum barrel times with OAL and powder charge, I wouldn't recommend using the temperature function.

Previous 5-shot MOA groups in some cases doubled and tripled in size. Unambiguous results that Quickload should not be used in that way to assist load development.

I would recommend matching optimal barrel times with OAL and powder charge at default temp, however. That has resulted in very good groups with very little effort thus far.

v/r
Joel

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 33 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,631
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.