Print Thread
Hop To
M
MaGoo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have been using chronograph for a number of years. Some years ago I found an easy way to align the chronograph. Set target at your desired distance, set your rifle on bags or rest, and sight on the target. Set your chronograph as you normally, but do not take a great deal of time fine aligning. Turn the scope power to the lowest setting. Turn adjustable objective to the lowest setting, that is normally 25 yd. You look thru the scope and can you should be able to see the chronograph, and then fine adjust it. I use electrical tape around the steel round rods that support the diffuser or skyscreen. The tape is set so I see the highest and the lowest I want the bullet to pass over. If you have a PACT, use white or red electrical tape. This will also work with standard scopes but, the rods tape markers are not as clear. The biggest advantage is you well get less error readings, also will never shoot it. I used a PACT, battery eating unit for way too meany years. I purchased a new ProChrono, and have shot over 350 rounds without one error reading.

GB1

M
M
I used to keep in a cheap scope in the range bag. I would turn it down to the lowest power, set it up on the front bags/rest, and use it to align the chronograph. I figured the scope was pretty much in line with where the bore would be. This was at a range that didn't allow guns on the bench during a 'cease fire'.

M
MaGoo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If you do not get error messages, and don�t shoot the chronograph what works for me. But You might try turning down power on the rifle scope, it will turn back up. - just for giggles

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The easiest method is to set an unloaded rifle on the bags, with the scope lined up on the target. Then stand in front of the chronograph, adjusting it while looking over the screens at the rifle's bore. When the bore is pointed right where you want bullets to pass over the screens, you're good to go.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have marks on the ground where I set my tripod legs, and simply leave the chronograph on the tripod at the appropriate height, moving the entire apparatus to the range. When there's snow on the ground, after the first session there are handy divots in the snow to guide me to the same location. Of course, my shooting range is twenty five yards from the front door!

IC B2

B
B
I have heard that you can hang a target on the back set of rods and sight in on that. Of course you will not be on target down range but I am told that this works real well especially for pistols. I have not tried yet.

M
MaGoo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Mule Deer - That is the way I did it for many years. I do have a very good eye on aligning up things. However what is wrong with after you sit back at the rifle to recheck the alignment. Until you haven tried it you will never know. I can say after taking extra five seconds for rechecks, my error message dropped at least 25%.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I set the rifle in the bags aligned on target with a laser bore sighter in the barrel and life is good. Forgetting the bore sighter in the barrel would be very bad.

It's about the best use I have found for a laser bore sighter so far.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MILES58
I set the rifle in the bags aligned on target with a laser bore sighter in the barrel and life is good. Forgetting the bore sighter in the barrel would be very bad.

It's about the best use I have found for a laser bore sighter so far.

That's how I do it. Stand behind the screens holding a target, adjust the tripod until the red dot is centered on the target.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 26 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.