Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any ideas on the best placement for the powder measure, press, powder scale, ect?

Thanks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have owned several "layouts " over the years. All determend by the space available and equipment used.
In the best case , it would be a long bench with about 3 feet on either side of each loader used.
I have never had that luxury and always made do with what ever space available.
But what ever you do make it as brightly lit as possible and comfortable for YOU.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
For a right hander, any idea on which side of the press for the powder measure?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It sounds like you load on single stage press. IMHO, I like press on the right end and all other equipment to the left or center bench.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wab-I put the press (Rockchucker)on my right, do all my case prep & priming/recharging right to left on left side of the press, Put scale checked powder measure in press (now put the scale away in its safe place), charge cases right to left into loading block, check powder level w/flashlight. Put seating die in press, place bullets in butter dish cover (much easier than out of the box) on right hand side of press, pickup up case in left hand place in shell holder, put bullet at case mouth and hold w/left fingers and operate press handle w/right hand to seat. Note, I only use one ctg. block and it it for charged cases ONLY! Empty/primed are in butter sized dishes, any vertical case at any time is charged. Seems like a safe way to avoid double charges to me. I only need about 3 feet total bench space 18" deep for all of this and 2/3 is on the left side of the press in front of me. I have never used a powder measure stand as they always appear to be in the way. I did see a photo of Mule Deer's bench where he had the measure mounted on a shelf above and in back of the loading area and it looked usable though and can be used to recharge directly into cases in the block, but I don't as above. If I have more than a loading block to do I just put the measure in the bench vice located at the extreme right end of the bench, seat bullets and repeat. -Muddy

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The layout depends a lot on the person. Even if you are right handed, will you find that you prefer manipulating the brass with your right hand and the press with the left, or vice versa. If you want to avoid additional holes in your bench, get some c-clamps and try clamping your press in place, and adjust your other equipment around.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
It sounds like you load on single stage press. IMHO, I like press on the right end and all other equipment to the left or center bench.

This^^^

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never been 100% pleased with any layout I've ever come up with, so my latest bench has nothing at all permanently mounted. I have my various devices mounted on heavy lumber cut to appropriate dimemsions and just c-clamp it wherever I want it when I want it. Flexibility can be valuable.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have moved mine around several times but in general powder on the left, press in center, and "other" like lubing and sizing equipment on the far right. Never enough rom on one bench for shotgun press, rifle press, and dedicated powder throwers etc....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,353
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.