Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LuisL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've got to say that I'm pretty proud of my German Shorthaired Pointer pup. He just turned 9 weeks old yesterday. I have been doing the pheasant-wing-on-a-rod game with him since he came home with me a week ago and he really picked up his pointing duties well. Today, a buddy and I took him out in the desert with a couple of live pigeons (flight feathers clipped) and let him hunt them in the brush piles of a sand lot, point and pursue them. Here are some pics from the day and a little video clip of him working the pheasant wing on his first day home (at 8 weeks old). It goes without saying that I cannot wait for the Fall!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n545/lplozada/Bolt/Boltretrievesthebird.jpg[/img]

BP-B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Hi Luis. That's a great looking pup! He'll look very stylish on point with that nice high white flag for a tail. I don't know about the wing on a pole deal but I know a lot of folks work with their pups like that. He certainly has the prey drive and nice pointing ability and I bet you guys are going to have some great days ahead in the field. If you make it back here for bird season, make sure to give me a yell so we can hook up. I can't wait to see your pup in action! Best of luck with the training too..... smile

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
LuisL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
THank you very much, Nebraska. Hea really seems like a fine dog. The wing-on-a-rod trick works to get them start pointing instead of pouncing. What was awesome was that the clipped-wing pigeon could only hop/fly a few feet at a time, which looked just like the wing when I flip it away from him. I will be back to NE in the fall, but I'm going to be way the heck out west (Hitchcock Co.) Let me know where you will be this coming season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome. Well done. Great looking pup. I'm sure your proud.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,359 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.