Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Allyson Offline OP
OP Offline
A
what you people think I need a security alarm or camera in the presence of a dog and a gun,
Actually I have bought a new home and my friends suggest me to install the security cameras or alarms for the home protection. but I don't think I should, so what you people think over that issue. all the suggestion and recommendation would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Depending on how your dog is trained.

I have always had rottweilers but my dogs will not take food from anybody but me. They do no bark except on command and love children.

A dog can be poisoned, shot, stabbed ect.

When you go on vacation and take your dog and gun who going to watch the house then.

A good security system is one level higher than a properly trained dog.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Sec cameras hooked up to a server not on the premises with a good battery back up will at least get you good intel if somebody does try to break in while you are away. Combined with a wailer siren and security company, thieves will usually run at the first hint of security and go bother someone who is an easier target. Cameras should also be mounted facing each other's mounting position in case they are compromised by the perps and should have a few redundancies built into their locations to catch all activity.

Securing valuables in a properly mounted safe and utilizing safe practices regarding security will go a long way.

Dogs are good in your direct company, but can be compromised as mentioned above....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a huge fan of security systems. If you're gone, they'll let you know when someone breaks into your house, takes your stuff and leaves. Good burglars know it'll be 15 minutes before the cops get there. And even the best cameras can be defeated with a hoodie. Unless a camera gets a license plate, they're not much help.

An inside dog will let you know a bad guy is there when you're home. When I'm not home, I try and rember that stuff is just off and can always be replaced.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have 4 dogs, all are 'different'. My bulldog, she's a big scardy cat but shes a noise maker. My mutt (doberman/aussie mix) only barks when someone is knocking at the door but the dog has balls of steel. He's not afraid of anything and WILL with out a doubt get gnarly when need be. My lab is 100% silent. Makes no noise at all. I'm not sure that he would 'go to work' but I do think if my wife or little girl were in trouble he would protect them. Then theres my wife and I. Both have pistols on our respective sides of the bed, my m4 is just inside the closet door equipped with a 20 round mag, and light. Add on to that I do have an alarm system that very loudly says "front door open" etc on all windows and doors when they open... When its alarmed, and the dogs are out I feel my house is pretty damn safe!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there are a number of testimonies online of cops saying that they have been to dozens of burglery report at homes with expensive security systems but never to a home that had a full size dog at home... I'm sure that it happens but at least some cops feel that a full size dog is better than a security system.

Andrew
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sixslug
Sec cameras hooked up to a server not on the premises with a good battery back up will at least get you good intel if somebody does try to break in while you are away. Combined with a wailer siren and security company, thieves will usually run at the first hint of security and go bother someone who is an easier target. Cameras should also be mounted facing each other's mounting position in case they are compromised by the perps and should have a few redundancies built into their locations to catch all activity.

Securing valuables in a properly mounted safe and utilizing safe practices regarding security will go a long way.

Dogs are good in your direct company, but can be compromised as mentioned above....

Several good posts and lots of good ideas!

Initial outlay to do all might be EXPENSIVE, but I've always thought GOOD SECURITY was layered and multi-faceted.

I like the idea of the dogs and weapons, but also the cameras, to both a security agency but also a home computer thats locked-up on guard 24X7 to keep an eye on everything that pulls into your driveway in the middle of the day when you're not home, whether they're cops, bad guys, solicitors, sales peapole, etc.

Plus if you ever had to defend yourself in a shooting, and then against an over zealous DA or county prosecutor, having more security than less methinks would help the homeowner!

If you're worried about a security system, I'd bet you can afford one!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've, multiple times seen people knock on my door (not bad people, but people none the less, hear the barking from all the dogs and leave.

When ever someone comes to my house (pizza guy, DirecTV guy, internet guy, and especially the carpet shampoo guy etc etc) i make sure that my protector dog is in the house so that i have to hold him back.... Works well as a "don't [bleep] with this house"warning.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If i needed a security dog i would go with a Rottweiler. The one i had was very devoted to my wife and i. When the visiting nurse was comeing to check on my wife the rott would plaster her self against my wife and watch every move the nurse made. That dog went everywhere with me. Only seen her show any aggression twice in the years i had her. Woke up at 2:30 one morning to a light shineing in my bedroom window. There was a car parked on the end of my driveway shineing a spot light on the house and pole barn. Had a very long driveway. Put the rott in the truck and drove down there. One of the guys get out of the car and starts toward my truck. Rolled my window down and told him he better move on. He said [bleep] you [bleep]. Get out of the truck and i will kick the crap out of you. Darker than hell. Don't think he seen the dog. Got out of my truck and she got out with me. She was all teeth when she got out. Not sure why but they decided to leave. The second time she was in the back yard with me. She headed for the house. I went to the house to see where she went. Wasn't normal for her to take off like that. Got up there and she was going crazy tryin to get in a car parked there. Had a hell of a time trying to get her off the car and in the garage. Finally did and ask the guy what he wanted. He wanted to know if he could hunt behind my house. Told him sure but the dog is usually out. He said he thought he would look for another place to hunt. Sorry i got so long winded. I sure do miss that dog. She laid by my chair one evening got up and pucked and fell over dead.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Even if you don't own a dog, put BEWARE OF DOG signs on your gates.

I work for a utility, and need to gain access to backyard easements. Dog or not, the sign alone is effective.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

[quote=coyotewacker]Depending on how your dog is trained.

I have always had rottweilers but my dogs will not take food from anybody but me. They do no bark except on command and love children.

A dog can be poisoned, shot, stabbed ect.

When you go on vacation and take your dog and gun who going to watch the house then.

A good security system is one level higher than a properly trained dog. [/quote

]

+1 Have always had big dogs , at one point a male and female Rottie but an alarm system pays off when the dogs are not home. The cops will be at my house in less then 2 minutes as will the firemen if needed.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a secruity system... Guns and a dog.....

My wife wanted it for when i'm gone hunting and fishing.. Cause then the dog is with me....

Plus when i run errands the dog is with me in my truck...
I have more of a sense of secruity when i leave the house....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.