#7735191 05/13/13
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]
"Buck"

He's already getting set to be patient and watch the sky all brushed up in the duck boat
[Linked Image]

I know almost nothing about them, other than 4 years worth of research and reading. So I am not going to try to profess that I do.

But all I can say is Wow! We are closing in on the first 24 hours and he is amazing. Such an easy keeper. No mess. Not much fuss. No soiled crates yet. No need to crate today, as I took the next two days off. He is content to relax in a favorite blanket in the middle of the kitchen while I sort pics, files, and emails. With frequent breaks to go outdoors and experience all the sights, sounds and smells. What a pleasure.

Thank you to the solid handful of guys who were willing to help me out.

Jess

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Sweet!
You and Buck have fun smile

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
mighty pretty pup.......

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
a few more just cuz they're that good
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Grass is a new wonder.....

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 05/13/13.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That pup looks like he has some real character, I hope you, Austin and Bud have many years of good hunting together.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Looks like a great pup. Lots of fun in your future, but I'm sure he'll have his "moments."

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JJ.... Drahthaar?

Good looking dog. He looks so much like my Griff pup. You'll have your hands full in a few months

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yep. As I said, I am not much of a pro. There is so much variance in the Drahts, I could easily mistake one for a Griff or Pudel. Like all three of them really.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Give him crate time!!! If he will sit quiet in a crate, it will save you, at some point in time, being able to keep him there without a freakout will be gold in the future.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Hard not to enjoy him and want to play all day long. I am back to work after taking the few days off to acclimate him. So he will be getting on a routine. He is crated at night. He will be kenneled all day now during the week.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What kennel/breeder did you get him from?

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
He is a Natohaus pup from NE WA.

I know there is one headed to Kalispell area.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, I know that DD stands for Deutsch Drahthaar (they are fairly common here in Sweden) but what the heck does the V stand for in your title?

Vaccinated?

Very cute? wink

Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes

[Linked Image]

John

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
just means association. Only a formality of the official term of the group, Verein Deutsch Drahthaar....."the German Wire Hair association" or thereabouts. Not a German speaker.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JJ,
A good friend of mine has one of these dogs- a better pointer for pheasants would be hard to find. He has a great dog- but, he just found out a couple of months ago that the dog has a brain tumor, which is cancerous. Outcome doesn't look too good, and the dog is only 6 YO.

Hope you have good luck with yours!!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
He is a Natohaus pup from NE WA.

That's very interesting. For years, Lee Root had the only VDD kennel in that part of WA.

Now I see that Roger Green has apparently moved his DD kennel (http://rogermgreen.com/drahthaar/index.php) and custom gunsmithing operation up there from WY, and a new kennel, Natohaus (http://www.natohausdeutschdrahthaarkennel.com/) has started up in the same general area.

That's good news for avid bird hunters who are interested in the breed. When I first got interested in Drahthaars there wasn't a VDD-registered kennel within approximately 500 miles of me!

Good luck with Buck, and if he's turns out like my DDs, you'll have a very good hunting partner!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I don't want to run my suck, as I said, I am beyond Novice. I think Roger is Breed Warden for the area in the n.c. part of the state. Over where Root is.

I am one of the only "locals" with a pup. There are 2 other pups staying in our area. So we will be able to train together.

I was enamored by the breed for some time. Maybe 4 years? Moved from West Texas up to NE Washington. Finally purchased a home and property after taking a terrible hit in housing involved with my transfer. So I got lucky and things lined up correctly.

And I've read about some breeders conducting interviews, etc. I can say that many are wanting to make sure you are fully committed to what you are getting.....I think you get my point. These are not Craigslist type puppies for the random "I want one" people.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a dang cute pup you got there. I love DD's/GWP's. I've been wanting one of them or a PP for a while myself, I just have a hard time getting a pointing dog with nothing for it to point. I mainly shoot doves and duck hunt, so spaniels/retrievers work better for me. There aren't any quail down here, and probably won't be for a few more years IF the rainy season actually starting being rainy again. I'd hate to get a dog that can do it all, but doesn't have the opportunity to do it all

Last edited by quackaddict; 06/05/13.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Pretty ironic your sig....I was just in 'Cruces for nearly 3 years not too long ago. I never capitalized on hunting the Rio like I should have. Didnt have a dog! I liked it there. You certainly have plenty of doves and I had more than a handful of quail spots.

But I think my pup will prefer 43 deg mornings like today rather than 105 degree afternoons.

And there are probably a few more ducks up here, as I am looking across the Columbia as I peck this out on my phone....

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'd be apprehensive of having to break him off jackrabbits. Up here, guys are making day long drives to find jacks, as its part of the tests, and we do not have any/many rabbits in my area. A handful of snowshoe bunnies.

But they way my pup is using his nose, it would be hard to get him on birds with all the jack running around SW NM. He is non stop hunting at 12 weeks. No point. A little retrieve desire, but he has nose to track all day long.

I thought there were a few pheseant up in Radium and Hatch??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 36 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,030 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.