Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
My lab breeder notified me yesterday that the whole litter had some sort of reaction, overdose or something, to their wormer/vaccine. They were acting drunk and began having tremors. One little female died. I'm waiting to hear back on their recovery and other details. We were supposed to get our little guy at the end of the week. Sad and aggravating!

Has anyone heard of this sort of thing before?

BP-B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I dont really know but something to think about...
http://leerburg.com/vaccinosis.htm

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
My lab breeder notified me yesterday that the whole litter had some sort of reaction, overdose or something, to their wormer/vaccine. They were acting drunk and began having tremors. One little female died. I'm waiting to hear back on their recovery and other details. We were supposed to get our little guy at the end of the week. Sad and aggravating!

The first thing I'd be asking is who vaccinated the puppies. Next would be where did the vaccine(s) come from. Next would be were the sick puppies taken to a DVM and diagnosed and if so what was that diagnosis. Next would be how was the vaccine handled from manufacturer to vaccinator. Next was this the initial vaccination. If it was the inital vaccination was the mother vaccinated while pregnant.

If this is a home vaccination job I would be seriously questioning what I was doing. Puppies can and do have allergic reaction to vaccines. An allergic reaction on first exposure to an allergen (the vaccine)is very unusual. Normal sequence is exposure to the foreign protein sensitizes the immune system and a second exposure triggers the reaction.

Home vaccination may be a situation in which the vaccine was not handled properly from manufacture. That could produce a toxic event. Unlikely, but not impossible.

As far as the anti vaccination nut jobs... When vaccination begin to kill even a percentage of the dogs Parvo and Distemper kills there MIGHT be something to think about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One pup having a reaction is surly possible but the whole litter having a reaction can only tell you that something is drastically wrong with the vaccine. How experienced is this breeder? Did he inject it in the muscle or under the skin?
Did he buy it from the local feed store or from a med supply?

This case raises a lot of questions.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do not accept a pup from this litter........................

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reba
Do not accept a pup from this litter........................

Yeah I'd be a little leery

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sad business here, sorry to hear it, Pabucktail. Here's to hoping the rest of the pups are ok.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by pabucktail

The first thing I'd be asking is who vaccinated the puppies. Next would be where did the vaccine(s) come from. Next would be were the sick puppies taken to a DVM and diagnosed and if so what was that diagnosis. Next would be how was the vaccine handled from manufacturer to vaccinator. Next was this the initial vaccination. If it was the inital vaccination was the mother vaccinated while pregnant.

If this is a home vaccination job I would be seriously questioning what I was doing. Puppies can and do have allergic reaction to vaccines. An allergic reaction on first exposure to an allergen (the vaccine)is very unusual. Normal sequence is exposure to the foreign protein sensitizes the immune system and a second exposure triggers the reaction.

Home vaccination may be a situation in which the vaccine was not handled properly from manufacture. That could produce a toxic event. Unlikely, but not impossible.

As far as the anti vaccination nut jobs... When vaccination begin to kill even a percentage of the dogs Parvo and Distemper kills there MIGHT be something to think about.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Originally Posted by Kenlguy
One pup having a reaction is surly possible but the whole litter having a reaction can only tell you that something is drastically wrong with the vaccine. How experienced is this breeder? Did he inject it in the muscle or under the skin?
Did he buy it from the local feed store or from a med supply?

This case raises a lot of questions.

And ^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Update: it wasn't a vaccine, but a wormer. They suspect a bad batch of stuff since its supposed to be non-toxic even at levels way above the normal dose. Almost half the litter died and the survivors are terribly affected with neurological symptoms.

Thankfully there was another litter born a few weeks ago and we get to pick from them. There are still lots of questions but at this point it seems to be a random event. The dead pups and suspect medication have been sent to a university for testing.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
has just natural, they animals are smart too.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,848 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.