Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11944617 04/02/17
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My lab is nearing 11, I work a lot and leave him with my buds family during most weeks. I pick him up Friday and they have him again Monday afternoon. I know they walk him but don't let him off leash. When I have him on the weekends he and I go to state land and the like where I can let him run a bit.

Today he had zero wind, less than normal he is 11, and Im a bit concerned. I know he gets exercise when I'm not around even though he runs more with me and this seems to have come on pretty quick. Everything else is fine. Is old age just finally catching up with him? Or could this be a sign of something more serious? Hes been a super healthy dog his whole life and I really hope that goes on for a LOT longer.

Im going to chat with my vet tomorrow but thought I would see if anyone has a pearl of wisdom

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Get him to the Vet ASAP. For most Dogs 11 is getting up there. More so for large Dogs.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
He is old.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by supercrewd
He is old.

Thats what mt vet said. Im taking him in for a just in case on Wednesday but my vet said "he's 11, learn to deal with it".

Im not dealing with it. It sucks. He was/is a great upland dog and just as good a citizen. Hard to watch him get old.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My labs pretty much became old at about 7-8 when they could not spend a hard day a field. Then they became lovable poop machines.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mine has run hard till he was almost 10, hell he still thinks he's 2, for about 5 mins then he out of gas LOL.

This whole thing makes me think about a pup but there SO much work. When I think about the first 2 years working with Max I wonder how I got through it, by far the worst, hard headed, aggressive dog I have ever owned but then again the best adult dog I have ever owned. At 2 the light seem to come on and he just got it. Hes the first dog I have ever had that understands hunting is a team sport. I didnt dare hunt him till he was 2, he just was not ready. Looking back I think that was a good move.

Just a really good one and most of it he brought to the table.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like someone I know...

[Linked Image]

He died two years ago. Love/hate relationship.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good looking lab!! I have the black version, how old is he?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In that pic maybe 2 years. He died two years ago at 13.

NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd get him to the vet and have a PCV count done.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by supercrewd
In that pic maybe 2 years. He died two years ago at 13.

I lost my Joe last August. He's the guy in my avatar. He was almost 12.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If this really did come on quickly and you didn't miss the onset, then being as you're from Michigan I would have him tested for Lyme disease. When the bacteria get into the pericardium this is what you see first. Especially when it's accompanied by Lyme caused kidney issues. If he shows gait issues I would have the chest Xrayed and look for heart enlargement. A Lyme titer may be not be diagnostic since if he has been vaccinated it will show up positive

What happens is the bacteria get into spaces like joints and the pericardial sack. The immune system recognizes them and the macrophages go to work gobbling them up. The lysing enzymes also break down tissue which overloads the kidneys. If you stop it early enough with antibiotics and judicious use of a steroid you can modify diet to keep the dog going well for some years. If this is what it is, he'll likely never hunt well again.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been lucky with my Labs. They usually make it to around 13 but they start slowing down around ten which makes sense as it's supposed to equal 70 in dog years.

I've found if you keep the weight off them and let them hunt at a speed and frequency they're comfortable with they can still do upland for awhile after ten. They'll still want to and IMO are still effective as they find birds they might have passed when they were younger and hunting fast.

As already mentioned get him checked out by the vet. Even if their hunting days are over they still are a lot of company and barring health issues a lot less hassle than a pup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the tongue or inner lips blue when he pans hard?

If not, I wouldn't worry about it as he is an old dog and not in good conditioning.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My 12 year old lab gets as much exercise as he can stand which isn't much. My 9 year old lab still act like a pup, full of energy. Last nights walk the 12 year old was acting pretty good going out, but coming back he was "winded" and kept falling further behind. This is usual these days and every time I see him laying motionless I wait to make sure he is breathing. I fear one day he won't be.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"I fear one day he won't be."

There are worse alternatives.

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.