Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I took my lab on a 20+ hike last year and his paws got all jacked up. Bought some boots for him, put them on and he just prances around like a sissy.....

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Any advice?

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of course it's going to take a while for him to get used to them. In the meantime,enjoy the show.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it is just fun when they get their first pair of boots. It doesn't take long for hem to get over it just throw a couple of dummies for him.

The big problem is keeping them on him. Even the best boots my dog runs through in lass than a season, one pair his feet were sticking out through the side in 45 min. I've abandoned boots for vet wrap and duct tape, I buy the vetwrap a dozen rolls at a time and good duct tape, they never come off and with a surgical tape siccors you can have them off faster than undoing commercial boots.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So i have put them on him several differnt times (five or so days). Leaving them on all day. He gets better but they seem to not work quite right. I always have to go and untwist them so they sit right on his foot.

One is always rubbing him wrong and i have to tape and guaze that area before.

Has anyone ran there dog with just guaze taped up?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I prefer sections of motorcycle inner tube. Purchase a tube the proper diameter to fit over the foot and cut into sections about 8" long. Slide over the foot and tape the top to the leg. Bottom stays open to allow dirt and water to escape. They do wear out fairly quickly, but they are cheap.

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by erich
I've abandoned boots for vet wrap and duct tape, I buy the vetwrap a dozen rolls at a time and good duct tape, they never come off and with a surgical tape siccors you can have them off faster than undoing commercial boots.

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A big running dog will wear out a pair of boots in one day; if they aren't lost in the first run.

The key word is conditioning. My dogs don't have problems because they run on ruff ground daily.

HOWEVER the best thing out there for foot conditioning is:
TINCTURE of BENZOIN used by athletes word wide. Call it up on line.

The motorcycle inner tube also works. On any type of boot you must use caution, because of chaffing on the legs. Use vet wrap around the legs to protect against boot chaffing. Boots are really a pain. Remember a dogs front feet are different than it's rear feet. A set of four boots just don't fit front and rear. There is one company making front and rear boots but they only last a few hours in ruff terrain.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Well a little update. We went on a 48 mile trip and i was pleasantly surprised. The first day was 17 or so. Couldn't even get him to keep from wagging his tail!!! Was a happy as could be. Even chased the deer and elk out of our camp several times.

But the first day was all or mostly all mud. The second day started into some rocky trails. It was a 12 mile round trip back to camp. About 3/4 the way he wasn't doing good so i took off his pack and gave him a treat and it revitalized him to get back to camp.

I was worried for the next day as we were still 17 miles from the truck. He woke up stiff and his paws had a few minor cuts. After about a mile i could tell he would be just fine. Was out in front leading the charge. About half way though he felt the urge to chase a squirrel over some dead fall and down a bank. He ran back up to the trail and wouldn't go an further.

After some whinning and a five min. break he was back in front and didn't slow down till the truck was in sight.

We just got home five min. ago and hes hurting as much as i am. Were both dog tired but in good spirts.

Thanks for all the advice. I think that maybe if i just keep taking him he will do better and better with time.

Last edited by twintips16; 06/16/13.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
623 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.