Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Hey Guys, my oldest Daughter (10 yrs old) is really asking to get a dog. She wants the dog as a pet/companion for her and her little sister (8 yrs old). The younger girl is more of a cat person and tends to be afraid of larger dogs. Given that, I want to select the right breed that will be smaller and less intimidating for her, but will be very friendly and gentle with them.

If we are going to get a dog, I would prefer to have one that is capable of being both the family pet as well as having some hunting skills. I enjoy both quail and dove hunting and used to run rabbits when my buddy had beagles. I take my girls with me. When they are ready I plan to let the shoot, but I'm not pushing them since they are happy just tagging along with me for now.

We are not really experienced dog people, but I am willing to spend time working and training one if we can get a breed that trains fairly easily. Our backyard is approximately 1/3 acre (fenced in) and we have access to a nice 10 acre field within short walking distance.

What breed should we be looking at that will train easily, not be too large, could hunt quail and retrieve doves, and make a nice loving family pet? If the dog could hunt rabbits too that would be nice, but I'm guessing the training would have to be for either birds or rabbits, but likely not both.

I wonder about a small female Brittany, but have never been around one. Thoughts?

Mark in GA

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had 3 brittanys over the years. I think they would be about ideal for what you want. Just pick a litter carefully.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Check out a French Brittany. I'd guess they're 25 to 30 pounds or so. Great upland bird dogs, but I don't know about bunnies.

Maybe a rescue dog that is already trained?

Good Luck!

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My daughter is 10 and we picked out a Vizsla for her. Great hunting dog (so far) and it is hard to find a more loving dog!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't overlook two spaniel breeds: the Boykin and the English cocker. Both are flushing dogs, but they are also excellent retrievers and companions (make sure you get an English cocker from field stock, not pet or show stock).

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 16gauge
Don't overlook two spaniel breeds: the Boykin and the English cocker. Both are flushing dogs, but they are also excellent retrievers and companions (make sure you get an English cocker from field stock, not pet or show stock).

Good advice above. We have FBECS and I think they would be just about ideal for the criteria you have mentioned. They are used extensively on the quail plantations in the South to flush up the coveys the big white dogs have gotten pinned down.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a Brittany would be ideal but then I'm very prejudiced. Companionship is considered essential to the breed. (AKC) In fact Britts I've known crave human companionship and do best living in the house with you. They have a strong desire to please and for that can be a bit sensitive to correction, be gentle. In fact my Larry Britt would go his favorite corner in fear he did something wrong if Dad and I started talking loud on a subject up for debate.

Passing along advice from a cousin who breeds field trial Britts, be leery of a Britt from a field trial line. Field trial dogs are bred to be more energetic and can be a little on the hyper side for a companion dog. American Brittany Rescue can be a resource, besides giving a good home you get some history of the dog.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Get a Golden Retriever and you won't mind the size......they're the hands-down sweetest family dog you could ask for.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that would be my second choice, or maybe a Springer. But I like pointing dogs and wonder if hunting hasn't been inadvertently bred out of many Golden lines. Don't know but wonder. Has happened to some lines of Britts.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
A springer would be a good choice too.....natural instincts and easy around the house. Choosing is half the fun!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here is my daughter's Vizsla. She is a real sweetheart and my daughter is 10 as well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd say a Boykin, AWS, or Field bred Springer/Cocker. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just put my name on a list for a Pudelpointer in spring/summer 2014.

Our last dog was a lab, so I think this next one will be a good fit. The low shedding/good family dog were the top selling points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudelpointer

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Toller would work out nicely... Just have to be careful where you leave the bottles of alcohol! :-D

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That toller looks to be too young to legally consume alcohol...

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My suggestion would be a small female Labrador from field lines or a Brittany.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LostHighway
My suggestion would be a small female Labrador from field lines

We went that route with the last dog we had. She was a great dog in all respects, but the shedding was more that I wanted to do again. Unless you've had a Lab and are ready for that, you'll have no idea the level of hair you will be picking up in your house. That was the only downside with the breed.

That's the reason we went with a Pudelpointer this time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or you could have a Lab/Shepherd mix. Hey, available now and the price is right, meaning come get one. wink

2 black males left, one with a white star on his chest.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a better companion dog for your girls.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

edit:
whoops, i always feel like an idiot replying to threads that are absent the OP. haha

Last edited by 175rltw; 01/31/14.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I just put my name on a list for a Pudelpointer in spring/summer 2014.

Our last dog was a lab, so I think this next one will be a good fit. The low shedding/good family dog were the top selling points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudelpointer

[Linked Image]

That's an awesome looking dog. I can't myself not owning a GSP but if I were ever to experiment with a new breed, the Pudelpointer would be at the top of my list. I'd REALLY love to see some at work in person - that might just make the difference!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.