Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Who makes the best remote bird launchers out there? Need to get 1 or 2 for training my pup. Thanks

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been using a DT Systems remote trainer for a couple years now. It was a present and I did not have high expectations for it. Fortunately, I have been pleasantly surprised as it seems to be of decent quality. I am not positive as to how water resistant they are as I wait until the grass is dry before using them. I started with homemade release traps which were not waterproof at all and how I used them is how I use the DT units.

I have three traps which I use several times a day most days over the spring and summer. I not only use them for releasing birds but I also use them to toss retrieving dummies to get the dogs to push out further when sent to retrieve. This with both retrievers and pointing dogs. I find them to be very helpful for these tasks.

The negatives I have aren't many. The worst is the transmitter can handle 15 units which means there is little separation between the marks. This makes it difficult to know if you are on the correct setting. The other biggie is the traps are kind of heavy and ackward to carry for longer distances. That is common for all of the units I've been around and not specific to this brand.

One other gripe is arming the trap. The traps I have need to have a button pushed and held to arm. Catch is, not hold the button long enough and the trap does not arm- push too long and it goes back on Safe. It is not a terrible issue but it does catch me at times.

I've used other brands and they seem to be about the same quality. I would suggest sticking with the better known brands to start.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I use Dogtra but they're not cheap! Had a pair that I used for a long time and ended up selling them. Just bought a new Dogtra single launcher this year to use with our young GSP....

Dogtra Launcher - Lion Country Supply

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Buy once cry once I guess. I'll check both the Dogtra and the DT. Have a drahthaar pup training now and planning on another in 2-4 years. Sure is nice working pups on pigeons in off season.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If you have a buddy with or planning to have a pup/young pointer, maybe you could go in 50/50. You don't use them all the time and it REALLY helps to train with someone anyway....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been very pleased with my Lion Country Supply launcher. They are a bit less than some other brands and currently on sale.

http://www.lcsupply.com/LCS-Better-Bird-Launcher-System-w_-6-Button-Transmitter/productinfo/ULSYS6/

Another facet I like and will be trying soon, is that their launcher can be made to work with their e-collar. That way I can have two training tools and only one remote to mess with and/or lose...

http://www.lcsupply.com/LCS-Bird-Dog-Trainer-800/productinfo/BDT/

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I would also recommend joining a training group, often tools such as traps are available for use by the members. That saves a lot on your initial output as well as having a resource other than books or videos to work off of. Having a second set (or more) of hands and eyes is very helpful and both you and your dog will become better teachers and learners. There is no downside to joining a club other than the loss of time from family if one gets too deep into it.

I would rather have a separate transmitter for the traps and the e-collar. Invariably, one will end up tripping a trap when they meant to make a correction or, worse, make a correction when they meant to release a trap. I have tried this on more than one occasion and it just does not work as it seems. Go for separate transmitters and reduce the risk of accidents.

On a similar note, the same can be said for 2 dog e-collars. I had one years back and it seemed the collar was either set for the wrong dog when correction needed to be make or I needed to correct both dogs at once which cannot be done with a single transmitter. Another issue is if the transmitter is out of commission due to breakage or loss of charge you are out both collars/traps. That can put a damper on a day in the field.

My current collars (Tri-Tronics) are capable to be slaved to each other's transmitter. I have done so but it is to add redundancy in the event something happens to a transmitter. Then I still have the ability to use both collars though not necessarily at the same time. I very occasionally use just the one transmitter for multiple dogs but do so mostly in the back yard when doing informal training or just playing with the dogs. The one gets very physical to the older one and I have to give the younger dog a shock now and then to keep things under control. The odds of needing to shock any dog during these times is pretty low and the older dog is very well mannered so I can get by with one transmitter for these two dogs. Adding one of the other younger dogs to the transmitter would be a problem which is why I have other collars for them.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I would rather have a separate transmitter for the traps and the e-collar. Invariably, one will end up tripping a trap when they meant to make a correction or, worse, make a correction when they meant to release a trap. I have tried this on more than one occasion and it just does not work as it seems. Go for separate transmitters and reduce the risk of accidents.

On a similar note, the same can be said for 2 dog e-collars. I had one years back and it seemed the collar was either set for the wrong dog when correction needed to be make or I needed to correct both dogs at once which cannot be done with a single transmitter. Another issue is if the transmitter is out of commission due to breakage or loss of charge you are out both collars/traps. That can put a damper on a day in the field.

My current collars (Tri-Tronics) are capable to be slaved to each other's transmitter. I have done so but it is to add redundancy in the event something happens to a transmitter. Then I still have the ability to use both collars though not necessarily at the same time. I very occasionally use just the one transmitter for multiple dogs but do so mostly in the back yard when doing informal training or just playing with the dogs. The one gets very physical to the older one and I have to give the younger dog a shock now and then to keep things under control. The odds of needing to shock any dog during these times is pretty low and the older dog is very well mannered so I can get by with one transmitter for these two dogs. Adding one of the other younger dogs to the transmitter would be a problem which is why I have other collars for them.

All good points. I use the Garmin Alpha two-dog unit and its nice to only have one collar and great for keeping track of the dogs while hunting but Murphy's Law comes in to play when you need to make a quick correction and I've accidentally corrected the wrong dog......NOT good. Not sure the convenience is worth the risk and having a backup is always a plus....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.