Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Some of you guys have had good things to say about the XTR's, I have never owned one. I came across one today made in 1985, .338 magnum, wood stock with a 38 year old Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50-AO in Redfield bases/rings, no iron sights. Rifle looks new...wood is only average grain but in new shape, metal looks new. Scope looks fine too, a little finish mar in a couple spots but otherwise just dusty.

I don't need a .338,(I hunt elk with a .300 mag) but I remember some of you guys seem to like these XTR's. What would you think this combo is worth? Serial # G17624xx

What do you like and dislike about these XTR's?

Any quick words of wisdom will be appreciated. I can buy it for $500.00.

Last edited by Fenton; 12/31/15.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fenton, the XTR's most guys search out are the very early fwt's. The reason for this is because Winchester had their heads so far up their azzes after 1964 that it took them 16 years to get the fwt back on line. Most collectors look for the WRA rifles made before 1981 when the company switched hands to USRAC. The standard XTR's are nice rifles, but are not as collectable as the early fwt's (1980-1981). Most XTR's are beautiful rifles and this one is probably worth at least $550.00 (depending on wood grain and deepness of the bluing). Plus it has a $300.00 scope on it. You do the math my friend. Post some pics if you decide to buy it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The condition is described as "looks like new" for $500.

I have zero use for a .338. I can no longer climb mountains and if I ever hunt tidal zone grizzlies, I'd use my stainless .375.

The rifle would have come home with me anyway.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great deal. Rifle should bring $500-600 + free scope

Who is John Galt?
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Fenton, the XTR's most guys search out are the very early fwt's. The reason for this is because Winchester had their heads so far up their azzes after 1964 that it took them 16 years to get the fwt back on line. Most collectors look for the WRA rifles made before 1981 when the company switched hands to USRAC. The standard XTR's are nice rifles, but are not as collectable as the early fwt's (1980-1981). Most XTR's are beautiful rifles and this one is probably worth at least $550.00 (depending on wood grain and deepness of the bluing). Plus it has a $300.00 scope on it. You do the math my friend. Post some pics if you decide to buy it...

Too add to this very few featherweight xtr's were made under the WRA badge. What a lot folks fail to forget Olin corporation was stuck in a big labor dispute with workers at the new haven plant.. In 1980 Olin corporation came to the conclusion their was no money to be made making firearms and we're going to shut the plant down... The workers then formed USRACo and leased the name Winchester name and bought the plant in 1988 USRACo went bankrupt and that's when FN came in and bought them... Or something like that..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Just wanted to check back in to say thanks to you guys that responded. I did buy this rifle. Took it home and removed the action from the stock to clean it and have a look. Everything looks fine (factory) as though it was not used much. Bore was very dusty/dirty, but it cleaned up just fine. Not really wild about that dark stain Winchester puts in the checkered areas, I'd prefer they did not add the stain but can't change that.

Originally thought I'd keep the scope and sell the rifle. Shouldered the rifle some and really liked the way it fits me, very comfortable. Cycled the action many times and it is very slick, feels perfect. Dry fired it a few times and thought wow, this is exactly how you want a trigger to feel.

It's a little heavier than I like at 8lbs 13ozs, but we'll see, maybe that's okay with soaking up some recoil.
Still don't need it (have a M700 BDL .300 Win Mag for elk), but I bought a box of Federal Premium ammo loaded with 210 grain Partitions just to see what a .338 Win Mag feels like. I'll see how it shoots, then decide if I keep it or sell it. Guess I could hunt it for a while and still sell it later. Hard to pass-up good rifles in such great condition when they are priced a good bit lower than what I see them selling for on Gunbroker.

So thanks again for your quick responses,
Fenton

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fenton, please let us know how you feel about it after shooting it a bit. Thanks..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
BSA,
I'll let you know. Thanks for your response this time and for your help in the past on a 1949 M70 Standard .270 you helped me with that I also bought.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My guess is, that Remington will never see another elk hunt, at least in your hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will be surprised by the .338. I bet it will be more pleasant to shoot than the 300. I would rather shoot a .375 or .338 than a .300- their recoil impulse seems slower and gentler.

Who is John Galt?
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fenton
BSA,
I'll let you know. Thanks for your response this time and for your help in the past on a 1949 M70 Standard .270 you helped me with that I also bought.

I'm an "enabler", that's what I'm here for... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mrfudd
You will be surprised by the .338. I bet it will be more pleasant to shoot than the 300. I would rather shoot a .375 or .338 than a .300- their recoil impulse seems slower and gentler.

I agree with MR. fudd. However, I have to ask. Please quit posting pictures of that beautiful 243. fwt. I'm hoping you have sold it by now. That was a hell of a good deal....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the .243 is gone

Who is John Galt?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 27 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.