Over time I noticed I was buying guns on a whim- "oh, that Taurus Tracker looks good, and I don't have a .41 Magnum" Or, "that is one sharp looking .257 Weatherby, I bet it would make a nice pronghorn rifle". You know the drill. Eventually, it dawned on me that I have a safe full of nice guns, but to what end? I admire most types of firearms, with interests ranging from old levers to AR-15's, Schofield revolvers to Kimber Custom Target II's, and I have developed a love for SxS shotguns.

I do like the pre- '64 Model 70, but at $2000 or so per rifle, it's a bit out of reach of my budget. I do have several Model 94's in various guises, including the one my grandfather carried in a scabbard on the cattle range, and am considering going down the path of Model 94's. I know it can be a dangerous undertaking as it is likely to grow into Model 92's and then into Model 64's, and so on.

My collecting goals are to build something of worth that myself and my heirs can enjoy. I don't harbor any delusions that a collection started in my 50's could ever serve as a retirement fund.

So- to finally get to my question: What do the collectors here recommend? Where would you start? All input and opinions are welcomed.

Thanks!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23